Question about details of Snorkeling.... (I can't swim) have questions...

bizzylady

I was looking at excursions for my upcoming Carnival cruise to cozumel, and still trying to decide which excursions to do.

Question about SNORKELING - I cannot swim. I was looking at one, for example, called " Two Reef Snorkeling by Boat Excursion Experience".

1- is the water deep where I will need a life jacket vest thing?

2- do you just like put your head under the water and look around from the area you are in, ? or are you actually swimming around under the water??

3 -If you do actually swim around... how deep down do you go?

4- Does the snorkeling gear cover your eyes too, or do you get goggles or what? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I have never been snorkeling!

5- they recommend "Biodegradable" sunscreen? what the heck is that?

Thanks

If you can't swim at all you may want to try snorkeling from shore. The boats probably take you to deep water. Someplace like Chankanaab or the Money Bar might be easier.

You do get a mask/goggles, a life vest, and fins when you snorkel. Swimming is easier with these things than without, but you still need to be somewhat comfortable in water.

I was looking at excursions for my upcoming Carnival cruise to cozumel, and still trying to decide which excursions to do.

Question about SNORKELING - I cannot swim. I was looking at one, for example, called " Two Reef Snorkeling by Boat Excursion Experience". Sounds great! Explain to the tour guide that you are a beginner and not a strong swimmer and he will keep you close.

1- is the water deep where I will need a life jacket vest thing? I've never been on a snorkel tour where life vests were not available and they are usually required. I'm a strong swimmer but like them while snorkeling.

2- do you just like put your head under the water and look around from the area you are in, ? or are you actually swimming around under the water?? Float along (see life vest above), put your face int he water, breath through the snorkel, admire the fish and coral, kick your feet every once in a while to move along.

3 -If you do actually swim around... how deep down do you go? You can stay on the surface or dive down in order to get a closer look.

4- Does the snorkeling gear cover your eyes too, or do you get goggles or what? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I have never been snorkeling! The snorkel mask will cover your eyes and nose; the snorkel goe into your mouth so that you can breath. If you go on a tour they will provide gear to you, or bring your own and snorkel from the shore.

5- they recommend "Biodegradable" sunscreen? what the heck is that? Special formulas that will not harm the coral and marine life - you can find it on-line (Google and Amazon are your friends!).

Thanks

You can invest in an inexpensive mask and snorkel and practice at home (swimming pool or the kitchen sink) - I've never been comfortable using a rental snorkel no matter how wel they clean them. :o

Good luck! :)

I 2nd trying the swimming pool first. You will actually be more buoyant in the ocean, so minus the current the pool should be more difficult. I would hate for you to have a bad experience. Are you afraid of water at all?

They do have a submarine excursion also.... ;)

Archived