Quick question about upgrades

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help. I'm booked on the Rhapsody on 6th December to Qld. Just noticed that the prices of balconies has dropped dramatically. We are booed for an outside cabin at the moment. I booked this cruise through a travel agent. Will they be able to secure one of these balconies for me at the cheap rate???

I booked direct with Royal Caribbean in the Summer in Europe and a similar thing happened. They upgraded me no problem, for a small fee.

Thanks for your help.

David. x

Ask your Travel Agent. What you're asking involves cancelling your old booking, then making a new booking at the reduced rate. Given that your sailing date is less than 30 days away, you're probably looking at some hefty cancellation fees which may (will probably) make it financially unviable.

That's the chance you take when booking early. On the one hand, you're guaranteed to get the cabin you want at a price you're happy to pay. On the other hand, there's always the chance that the cruise won't sell out and you'll subsequently see the same cabin on sale for a lot less than what you paid.

Ask your Travel Agent. What you're asking involves cancelling your old booking, then making a new booking at the reduced rate. Given that your sailing date is less than 30 days away, you're probably looking at some hefty cancellation fees which may (will probably) make it financially unviable.

That's the chance you take when booking early. On the one hand, you're guaranteed to get the cabin you want at a price you're happy to pay. On the other hand, there's always the chance that the cruise won't sell out and you'll subsequently see the same cabin on sale for a lot less than what you paid.

Thanks for this. Would this apply even though we are looking to upgrade? We paid 1300 for an outside cabin and the balconies are now 1400 so we are still looking at paying more, even though it is a small amount.

I would ask your TA to see if you can get an upsell....you have nothing to lose coz at the worse you won't get it. If they have dropped the balcony prices, it would suggest that they have a number available and so why wouldn't they consider it esp when it is not in school holiday season and from what I am seeing, there are a number of ships offering cabins at pretty reasonable prices which means that there is a lot of competition out there. :)

If the new cheaper price is for a guarantee balcony I don't think you can upgrade. Guarantees are for new bookings only. I know this because I tried! I am on this sailing too and for the price we paid for an interior cabin you can now get a gty suite!! The previous poster is correct, you would need to cancel your current booking and rebook and pay the penalties. It isn't worth it for us so we are keeping our interior cabin.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. We did try but alas no, it's not to be. Never mind, we are going to have a great time anyway.

The only thing that I don't understand is that when I booked direct with Royal Caribbean in the summer and the price came down they did let me upgrade to the Guarantee Balcony rate, which was only an extra 60 dollars to what we had paid for an inside. Maybe is pays to book direct with the line???

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. We did try but alas no, it's not to be. Never mind, we are going to have a great time anyway.

The only thing that I don't understand is that when I booked direct with Royal Caribbean in the summer and the price came down they did let me upgrade to the Guarantee Balcony rate, which was only an extra 60 dollars to what we had paid for an inside. Maybe is pays to book direct with the line???

some TA's try and get a price reduction also....we are cruising on the Sea Princess and the price dropped so i rang our TA and we got it also but that was before final payment was due

Archived