My Week On The GREATEST Ship In The World! Allure OTS 10/30/11: A Pictorial Review!

Darth,

first let me say if my wife thought your pictures were great then your photo's s/b in the Smithsonian. Now for the toughy I saw on another board that there was a special party for 50 people it was annouced on the morning show with the theme being prohibition you had to call and reserve a space for 30.00 do you know about this

Thanks!

Sorry, I have never heard of that. I have heard of "Murder Mystery" dinners on other ships. Maybe this is something similar?

Awesome review and pictures.

I appreciate all the effort you put into this Darth...but I can't see hardly any of your photos...getting that 'bandwidth exceeded' message on just about all of them.

I do enjoy reading your review and glad you had such a great time. The photos I did see were great! Sorry for the photos being such a pain. I know you worked real hard for us to enjoy your review. Thanks again for your efforts. I'm not a big fan of photobucket any longer after seeing what they did to your review.

From what I did see, it has convinced us to book a cruise on The Allure after we sail on the Breeze next year. We will be looking forward to it. It looks like quite an experience! Thanks again!:)

I love your pictures, but some of them are saying bandwidth exceeded. Is it just me? :confused:

For those getting the error message, it is Photobucket's silly bandwidth cap. You have to pay for the "Pro" account if you want unlimited bandwidth. I renewed my subscription, so you should be able to see them all now. Let me know if there are any other problems.

I'm sailing on Allure in January, so this was much appreciated. There are pictures of Allure all over the web, but none of them had the kind of details I was looking for, except Darth's here. Awesome job!!

My wife and I are really excited about our first cruise - neither of us has ever been on one so this will be an experience.

• 2 weeks later...
I have started writing the review of my cruise on Allure last week. There is simply too much for me to write it in one sitting so I'm just going to have to post it up little by little. I think it will work out better this way, since I have a ton of pictures to sort through and post along with it. So bear with me folks this will probably be a multi-day, or possibly a multi-week affair. But rest assured that I will deliver as complete a report as I possibly can.

DarthGrady,

Erica & I have want to thank you for this excellent review. We had the pleasure of meeting you at the diamond event on the Monarch over the 4th of July weekend. We have now booked the Allure for next May and your review makes me so much more impatient waiting to board this fabulous ship.

Thanks again.

Paul in Jacksonville, FL

Getting the Promenade ready for Halloween

P1010530.jpg

Very inventive group costumes

P1010601.jpg

P1010612.jpg

We got a bat for out towel animal

P1010616.jpg

New formal night menu covers

P1010610.jpg

P1010611.jpg

That pay portion of the menu is getting bigger. I knew that RCI could not keep it to one item, soon the pay part of the menu in the MDR will be bigger than the included menu. Probably my biggest gripe with RCI is charging for any food item in the MDR.

That pay portion of the menu is getting bigger. I knew that RCI could not keep it to one item, soon the pay part of the menu in the MDR will be bigger than the included menu. Probably my biggest gripe with RCI is charging for any food item in the MDR.

And here's a pointer for you. You don't have to PAY for one thing in the MDR. You can still eat for the cost of your cruise if you like.

Some people just like to complain. Give it up already. You don't like RCI and we all know it.:rolleyes:

DarthGrady,

Erica & I have want to thank you for this excellent review. We had the pleasure of meeting you at the diamond event on the Monarch over the 4th of July weekend. We have now booked the Allure for next May and your review makes me so much more impatient waiting to board this fabulous ship.

Thanks again.

Paul in Jacksonville, FL

It was my pleasure Paul, hope you enjoy your cruise on this awesome ship!

Excellent review!! I've been dreaming of going on the Oasis (or Allure) since the former was first built. Now starting to seriously look into going in 2012 with my girlfriend. Yours has been the best review and pictures I've seen and I can't wait! I do have a few questions that perhaps you can help with:

1) Are there hallways on both sides of the room you were in? For example the interior rooms 8531 and down that column, are the doors to those interior cabins on the right (near 8530) or on the left (near the interiors)?

shp_al_deck08_v11-12_dpl.gif

2) Were there any noise issues in your cabin? I didn't really have any issues on the Enchantment this year but it seems the interiors on Allure are more surrounded by hallways and other rooms.

3) In your opinion which decks are the best to be on for your cabin? I'm thinking 6-8 since above those there are much fewer decks to see (sports/pool decks primarily) whereas from 8 and under I can see going to each of the decks quite often.

Thanks!

Grady.......this ship review is one of the longest (which fits the ship) and most detailed that I have read on Cruise Critic.

My hat is off to you, to have taken the time to so eloquently have shown us so much of the largest ship in the world.....thru your eyes!

It brings back many memories, and I want to thank you for all of your effort.

Merry Christmas or Happy Hanuka to you and yours. Your sharing is the gift of the season!!:)

Rick

Excellent review!! I've been dreaming of going on the Oasis (or Allure) since the former was first built. Now starting to seriously look into going in 2012 with my girlfriend. Yours has been the best review and pictures I've seen and I can't wait! I do have a few questions that perhaps you can help with:

1) Are there hallways on both sides of the room you were in? For example the interior rooms 8531 and down that column, are the doors to those interior cabins on the right (near 8530) or on the left (near the interiors)?

The doors will be across from the outside (8530) cabins.

shp_al_deck08_v11-12_dpl.gif

2) Were there any noise issues in your cabin? I didn't really have any issues on the Enchantment this year but it seems the interiors on Allure are more surrounded by hallways and other rooms.

3) In your opinion which decks are the best to be on for your cabin? I'm thinking 6-8 since above those there are much fewer decks to see (sports/pool decks primarily) whereas from 8 and under I can see going to each of the decks quite often.

Thanks!

1. For the row of rooms we were in (8543) the doors are on the right (toward the exterior of the ship).

2. No noise issues whatsoever.

3. I really enjoyed Deck 8. Central Park is the heart of the ship, so its great to be able to walk right out to it.

Grady.......this ship review is one of the longest (which fits the ship) and most detailed that I have read on Cruise Critic.

My hat is off to you, to have taken the time to so eloquently have shown us so much of the largest ship in the world.....thru your eyes!

It brings back many memories, and I want to thank you for all of your effort.

Merry Christmas or Happy Hanuka to you and yours. Your sharing is the gift of the season!!:)

Rick

Thank you very much Rick. Happy Holidays to you as well! :)

What a wonderful review!

I just booked Allure for next November a couple of hours ago! It will my 1st cruise with RCI. I've cruised Carnival & Disney so far and have been dying to sail on an Oasis class ship. I finally took the plunge today.

Your review definitely make me feel like I made a great decision!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review and add your pictures. I greatly appreciate it! I just sent this link to my mother and my sister for her family since my mother is taking my family and my sister's family on the Allure July 2013 as a gift to us.

Silly question, but does anyone know if you can use your Starbucks card onboard or do you have to use your Sail and Sign card. I know it is silly but I thought as I collect little things thoughout the year and a half, I could pick one up for all the adults.

Thanks so much.

We will be Diamond AFTER Allue, wish it was before!

Edited by js

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review and add your pictures. I greatly appreciate it! I just sent this link to my mother and my sister for her family since my mother is taking my family and my sister's family on the Allure July 2013 as a gift to us.

Silly question, but does anyone know if you can use your Starbucks card onboard or do you have to use your Sail and Sign card. I know it is silly but I thought as I collect little things thoughout the year and a half, I could pick one up for all the adults.

Thanks so much.

We will be Diamond AFTER Allue, wish it was before!

Thanks! Sorry I can't help with the Starbucks question, I'm not a coffee drinker. Congrats early on making Diamond!

On the December 18, Western Caribbean itinerary "How to Train Your Dragon" Ice show was day 4 at 7:30 and again at 9:00. The "Let You Entertain Me" aqua show was at noon and 1:30 on day 7. None of the Dreamworks shows required reservations and all of the Dreamworks activities including character appearances are noted in the daily Cruise Compass.

can you tell me when the Train Your Dragon ice show is and do i need to reserve ahead of time and the Dreamworks Aqua Theater show

thanks

can you tell me when the Train Your Dragon ice show is and do i need to reserve ahead of time and the Dreamworks Aqua Theater show

thanks

The How to Train Your Dragon ice show was on day 6, early in the afternoon. You do not need reservations for either of the Dreamworks shows. They are open seating, so arriving a little early is advised.

Edited by DarthGrady

Thanks for the fantastic and thorough review and photos! My family will be cruising on the Allure in March and now I am even more excited!! I have a couple questions on your photos. I am an amateur photog and use a Nikon Coolpix P500. I want to take great photos of this cruise but am concerned because my indoor photos never turn out very well. What settings did you use? What do you suggest? Also, are you allowed to take photos inside the shows? If yes, do you have to turn off the flash?

Thanks again for an awesome review, loved it all!!