Roatan with 2 kids; 7 & 4..?

JayaShi

Hi,

I've been reading a lot, looking for tips. unfortunatley I still dont know.

could you guys help me out?

what to do with our 2 girls, 7 and 4. They both know how to swim. maybe some shopping (travelling with 3 ladies..;)), snorkeling, nice beach??

its so dificult, as everyone has their own favorite!

for now I was thinking about Tabyana beach?

We're also visiting Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya, so I'm about to ask the same question at their boards. maybe any ideas/tips for these other places?

thanks in advance,

JayaShi

When you get to the port in Mahogany Bay, which is lovely and plenty of shopping right there, continue walking all the way through and continue walking past the taxi area. Just outside the gates are several more vans and taxis politely waiting. We lucked out with Larry or Larry's Island Tours. For $60 he took my family of four to the top of a hill for a scenic photo op (and a few ladies selling baskets, mangos, etc...) then across the island to the botanical gardens (separate fee to get in) where he waited for about two hours while we hiked there. Then he drove us a few miles down the road to a small zoo of sorts where my daughters (for $5 each) were able to hold monkeys and parrots. This all took about four hours, and then he drove us to a small beach where we snorkeled for another couple of hours. We were so busy having fun we didn't want to stop and eat (plenty of time for that on the ship.) Felt safe and were charmed by Larry, who couldn't have been nicer and happier to show us his island. Basically for $60, he took us wherever we wanted to go and waited patiently. He also seems to know everyone on the island. Larry's email is larryroatantours@gmail.com

If there will be 4 or more of you, I suggest booking with Bodden tours. We haven't been on their tour yet, but I just signed up for one in April on our stop in Roatan. They come *highly* recommended and you can customize your tour with them. For 4 or more people it's only $25 each for the base tour...this alone is a great deal considering how much you can pay for taxis. For an extra $5 pp we are going to do their monkey tour which you can youtube and find tons of videos on. We are going to have the tour guide take us to some scenic areas for pictures, the monkey tour, and then take us to a West End beach for some sun, water, and lunch.

There are a lot of other options you can add in as well. Just google their web site.

When we were there in September, we booked with Bodden. We did the zip and dip tour and had a blast (a few minor things happened, but didn't ruin our day). We first zip lined on his property (yes my 3 year old did it all by herself and LOVED it). Then we visited with his monkeys and animals...then off to West Bay beach for a day of snorkeling at the beach.

Here's both of my reviews on our day there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30662590&postcount=23

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30663211&postcount=24

Hi,

I've been reading a lot, looking for tips. unfortunatley I still dont know.

could you guys help me out?

what to do with our 2 girls, 7 and 4. They both know how to swim. maybe some shopping (travelling with 3 ladies..;)), snorkeling, nice beach??

its so dificult, as everyone has their own favorite!

for now I was thinking about Tabyana beach?

We're also visiting Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya, so I'm about to ask the same question at their boards. maybe any ideas/tips for these other places?

thanks in advance,

JayaShi

When I was in Roatan on our cruise last week, a woman was waiting with her daughter who was having her hair braided at Tabyana. She had children your age. She asked if we were at Tabyana all day and I said yes, since 9am. She said she wished she would have booked Tabyana only because her kids LOVED it there and she was able to relax on the beach or snorkel, just by walking out to the beach. It was a beautiful ride out to Tabyana and see the other parts of the island, rather than be stuck at Mahogany Bay. Roatan is very beautiful.

If you are with Carnival, the time spent on Roatan is very short so just take the ship excursion to Tabyana and get off the ship as soon as it docks. With the ship excursion, you'll all get a lounge chair and transportation to/from. There are plenty of coconut palm trees to relax under if you need shade. We were supposed to meet at 8:30 at the pier but we got there early, about 8:00am or so and they took us to Tabyana right away. The last shuttle back to the ship is 1:30 and you'll be back at the port for shopping until about 2:30, when they announce all aboard. There are also a few shops in Tabyana and there are plenty of people selling their local wares on the beach, something you will not find at Mahogany Bay. Tabyana and Roatan was our favorite stop on our cruise!

Archived