Moving Final Payment Date

PearlOnyx

Hey Guys,

My final payment is due on the 29th. I get paid on the 30th. I called and asked if they could bump my final payment date out one day to the 30th. The representative told me to call on the 28th, and make this request, and it won't be a problem. Had an unexpected medical bill this month that's got me running a little short. Anyone have any experiences good or bad doing this? The Carnival representative didn't sound too sure of herself.

Hey Guys,

My final payment is due on the 29th. I get paid on the 30th. I called and asked if they could bump my final payment date out one day to the 30th. The representative told me to call on the 28th, and make this request, and it won't be a problem. Had an unexpected medical bill this month that's got me running a little short. Anyone have any experiences good or bad doing this? The Carnival representative didn't sound too sure of herself.

These requests are often approved but not always. It really depends on how popular the cruise is and how rapidly it's booking.

I'm betting that asking for that one day of grace you'll be fine.

:)

I had the exact same situation and was told I'd receive an email reminder the day the payment was due giving me a week to pay. I received an email and paid it the next day. It wasn't a problem at all. Others have had different experiences, however. So, make sure to call on the 28th. I'd be willing to bet there won't be a problem.

Don't you have a credit card ?

Charge it to the card when it's due, you won't have to pay that till the next credit card bill comes in, weeks later.

I love these topics because eventually someone brings up the c.c issue. Some choose not to own them. I support that choice :)

It has to be extremely difficult to get through life in 2011 without one. How on earth do you : rent a hotel room, rent a car, buy anything on-line, etc, etc ? I understand not wanting any debt. We almost always use cash, pay all cards in full every month, and owe nothing, at all, on anything. But I wouldn't be without my cards. There are lots of moments when they make everything so much easier.

:)

It has to be extremely difficult to get through life in 2011 without one. How on earth do you : rent a hotel room, rent a car, buy anything on-line, etc, etc ? I understand not wanting any debt. We almost always use cash, pay all cards in full every month, and owe nothing, at all, on anything. But I wouldn't be without my cards. There are lots of moments when they make everything so much easier.

I agree credit cards make many things easier, but...not everyone has one or can get one. I managed pretty well for years with just a debit card. It can be done. Now that I have a credit card, it's true that many things are easier.

However, these days, you may be able to even set up your online banking account to pay your cruise balance on a certain date. I pay all my recurring bills via my online account--I never mail out checks anymore. I have even paid one-time payees via my online banking. You just need the payee's correct address info and account number (or booking number in this case).

So, definitely, one can survive without a credit card.

To the OP, While Carnival will not extend your final payment date, they give an automatic 5 business day grace period on final payment date. However, your payment must reach Carnival by the 5 business day grace or the booking could be automatically cancelled by their computer system.

Keep that in mind when doing a payment through your online banking--the bank can remit payments with vendors it has an established relationship with, the same day or within 1 day--but if Carnival isn't in that group, they will most likely send off a paper check, which at my bank they say can take up to 5 business days to arrive at the recipient.

While I technically have credit cards (Lowe's and Home Depot) I only use them once in a blue moon when and only if they are running the 12 months same as cash. Everything else requiring a cc I use my debit card. Never owned what I would call an actual credit card to use.

To the OP. My mom and dad's cc expired before the final payment date and they did not realize it. Carnival sent an email (went to the spam box) that said they had 5 days or their cruise would be cancelled. If they have a CC or debit card set up for auto payment it may be hard to keep them from taking it out.

Same thing happened to me. I was told they give you a 5 day grace period before they cancel your reservation. Call and keep them informed so you, and they have documentation of your request. Also, get the name and ext # of the peron you speak with.

I can do all of that with my debit card. It's very easy to live without one. Ask Dave Ramsey :)

Paid for my cruise and hotel the night before this way.

Just saying some don't use credit cards.

I use credit cards on everything and then pay them off every month and get tons of points. That's how I get free airfare and free hotels for our cruises/vacations. If you have the self control it's a great way to save money.

Know lots of people who are responsible lose jobs and end up living on cc and amassing debt.

I am glad it's working for you, just doesn't fit my life.

One thought, if you have direct deposit, and your money will be in your account on the 30th, call on the 29th and do a check by phone. They take check by phone payments for regular payments, they probably will accept it for final payment. It usually takes 1-2 days to clear.

Been living without them for 2 years now. The first 6 months sucked while we tried to figure out the answers to all those questions - but it can be done and we do it - all the time. We also make sure we have cash in the bank for emergencies and DO NOT TOUCH IT unless it's an emergency - and for us, paying our cruise balance off wouldn't be an emergency. Others use CCs in the same way - emergencies only. Whatever works for you is great - but the same thing doesn't work for everyone.

That said, OP, if you used a PVP, you should be able to give them your debit card number and they'll charge you the next day - if they put a note in your file, you should be fine. As others have said, there is a grace periond. Just be sure to pay inside that grace period and you'll be ok.

Don't you have a credit card ?

Charge it to the card when it's due, you won't have to pay that till the next credit card bill comes in, weeks later.

Keep in mind, even if they do have a credit card they may not have a high enough credit limit (or available balance) for the cruise

As for credit cards, I applaud your ability to not use them OP, but do you at least have one for emergencies? I'd think having at least one would also help with establishing your credit. Otherwise if you apply for loans (car, home, etc...) your credit score will be lower and thus you get crummier rates.

DH and I each have one, but rarely use it. But I always take one of them when we travel in case something unexpected happens. Just a thought.......

As for credit cards, I applaud your ability to not use them OP, but do you at least have one for emergencies? I'd think having at least one would also help with establishing your credit. Otherwise if you apply for loans (car, home, etc...) your credit score will be lower and thus you get crummier rates.

DH and I each have one, but rarely use it. But I always take one of them when we travel in case something unexpected happens. Just a thought.......

I am with you Becca, what if you have to leave the ship and are hospitalized and need to stay for a few days then fly home. Most would say "hey I have insurance that will cover it" but you have to pay up front then get reimbursed.

One thought, if you have direct deposit, and your money will be in your account on the 30th, call on the 29th and do a check by phone. They take check by phone payments for regular payments, they probably will accept it for final payment. It usually takes 1-2 days to clear.

That is what I would do

Archived