Need help with San Diego transportation!

run26.2

I'm traveling on Monarch of the Seas, with a day in San Diego. The RC excursion to the San Diego Zoo costs $47 and includes stuff we aren't interested in, like a tram ride and guided bus tour. So, we're planning on going to the zoo on our own but I don't know the best way between the pier and the zoo. About how much would a cab cost? I've heard there's a tram that runs throughout San Diego- does it connect the two? Any help anyone can give is appreciated- thanks! :)

http://www.sdcommute.com/

http://www.sandiego.org/gettingaround.asp

Try these sites out to get some specific info. You can put in origin/destination on the first page and it will give you bus info and times.

Its about 3-4 miles from the waterfront to the entrance of the zoo/park it looks like. Shouldnt be too much in a cab.

Balboa Park (where the SD Zoo is located) is just a 5 minute cab ride from Ebarcadero. There are always cabs available in front of the zoo when you leave, too.

I don't know how long you have in SD, but while at Balboa Park, there are numerous things to see and do in addition to the SD Zoo. There's the Natuarl History Museum, The Museum of Man, SD Museum of Art, The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, SD Aerospace Museum, SD Automotive Museum and much more. www.balboapark.org

Balboa Park is one of the most beautiful urban parks in the country. See as much of it as you can!

It is $21 for adults to get into the zoo without any of the extras, $32 with the bus trip (highly recommended), the Sky Ride (the best way to get to the polar bears) and the Express Bus (hop on and off where you want to see more). The zoo is very large and very hilly. If you are in great shape, you can walk the entire zoo in 4-5 hours, but if not, I would get the package. There are special arrangements for wheelchair visitors as most of the hills are too steep for even power chairs, and the moving sidewalks up from the canyons are not wheelchair accessible.

http://www.sandiegozoo.com/zoo/visitor_info.html

Members get in free and get 2 free passes and 4 2-for-one bus tour tickets. If there are 3 of you this may be cheaper than individual admission. Members ride free on the Sky Ride.

A cab would be more like 10-15 minutes from the zoo entrance (on the far side of Balboa Park) from the port, but should be no more than $20.

The San Diego Trolley (light rail) does not go near the zoo. You can use it to get to Old Town, Mission Valley, the new Petco Park baseball stadium or to Tijuana. A bus would be an option, but would take you a lot longer than a cab.

I live in San Diego (only 3 miles from the zoo) and I am a member. I use the bus and Sky Ride often, even though I know the zoo well.

Hi Splinter,

I was hoping to find a local in San Diego :-) We are going to San Diego for the weekend and we need advice as to what would be the best area for us to stay that we would not have to rent a car. We most likely will go to the zoo , but also want to see some of the sights from the trolley or what ever advice you have that we should do. We are taking our daughter for her 19th birthday. Thanks for any information you can share!

The San Diego Trolley (fixed light rail red train) is part of the public transportation system. The closest station to the cruise ship port is next to the train station...about a 3 block walk. You can take it to Old Town, to Petco Park, to Seaport Village or to Mission Valley. It does not go to the Zoo or Balboa Park.

The Old Town Trolley is a private commercial bus tour that takes you (in 2 hours) to the Hotel del Coronado, Gaslamp/Horton Plaza, the Zoo/Balboa Park, and Old Town. Admission to the Zoo is NOT included. You can get on and off whenever you want, and an adult ticket is $25 for the day. It stops at the cruise ship terminal, but it is always best to make a reservation. Reservations for their wheelchair accessible bus require 24 hours notice.

• 3 months later...

Right now they have a combo ticket that includes admission to the zoo. You save $18 when you buy the combo, I believe. This trolley also stops at the Marriott, where we will be staying in San Diego after our cruise.

The Old Town Trolley is the same company that runs the Conch Train in Key West.

The San Diego Trolley (fixed light rail red train) is part of the public transportation system. The closest station to the cruise ship port is next to the train station...about a 3 block walk. You can take it to Old Town, to Petco Park, to Seaport Village or to Mission Valley. It does not go to the Zoo or Balboa Park.

The Old Town Trolley is a private commercial bus tour that takes you (in 2 hours) to the Hotel del Coronado, Gaslamp/Horton Plaza, the Zoo/Balboa Park, and Old Town. Admission to the Zoo is NOT included. You can get on and off whenever you want, and an adult ticket is $25 for the day. It stops at the cruise ship terminal, but it is always best to make a reservation. Reservations for their wheelchair accessible bus require 24 hours notice.

We are at the Marriott Marina, it has a 4 star rating with AAA I think. I booked it through Marriott as we are silver members and hubby is a govt. employee (we get a great discount).

Here is the link:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=SANDT

book it through Priceline? If so what is the rating. We will be there for one day after our Hawaii cruise.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Because you are so close to the airport, I would recommend just renting there. It is less than a $8 cab ride to the airport from there and all the agencies are at the airport.

There are many hotels in the downtown area. I would recommend you check out this site:

http://www.sandiegohotels.com/

With a car you could also go to Mission Valley, which would probably be cheaper than downtown since there are more motels.

Splinter....I wasn't very clear. We are flying in to Los Angeles and will be renting a car from LA and driving to San Diego and wondered what the closest rental car company to the pier would be so we could drop if off before the cruise.

We will need a hotel for one night and I did check the site you suggest and wonder if you know anything about Bahia Resort and Handlery Hotel??

Thanks!

All the major rental car agencies (Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, Alamo, etc.) are very close to the pier and to the airport. They all have shuttle buses to the airport...you would have to call them to see if they would shuttle you to the cruise ship pier as well. Otherwise, you might have to cab it, but it would not be more than about $8.

See my response about the hotels on your other thread.

Archived