Tripod parts

johneeo

OK, have done some research, and have found out that the tripod I had that is broke is an el cheapo, and would not make sense to fix it.

Looks like I am in the market for a new tripod.

So, next question, what would anyone recommend as a good tripod?

Well, full moon last night, with Jupiter next to it.

Got the tripod out, and doesn't one of the parts break on the connection to the camera.

Anyone know the best place to get parts replacements for this?

A hint as to which make and model tripod as well as a more detailed description of the broken part (quick-release plate, 1/4-20 mounting stud?) will help get a better answer.

If it is a common brand like Gitzo or Manfrotto, you may be able to find replacement parts at a large local camera store. If there isn't one near, B&H or Adorama are good sources online. If it is a quick-release part, it may be easier to replace the entire assembly with an aftermarket unit. The 1/4-20 connector stud is pretty common and easy to replace. If it is an obscure brand or the part is very specific to the tripod, it is likely you will have to contact the manufacturer's service department.

Dave

A hint as to which make and model tripod as well as a more detailed description of the broken part (quick-release plate, 1/4-20 mounting stud?) will help get a better answer.

If it is a common brand like Gitzo or Manfrotto, you may be able to find replacement parts at a large local camera store. If there isn't one near, B&H or Adorama are good sources online. If it is a quick-release part, it may be easier to replace the entire assembly with an aftermarket unit. The 1/4-20 connector stud is pretty common and easy to replace. If it is an obscure brand or the part is very specific to the tripod, it is likely you will have to contact the manufacturer's service department.

Dave

Tripod is a Zelbon. I could buy a new one for $39.

But, I have decided I want a much better tripod. I use a Nikon D5000 and have some heavy lenses.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Since this is a cruise related forum, I am assuming you want something appropriate for taking on a cruise, which means compact, lightweight, easy to take.

A couple of tripods I like are Benro's Travel Flat, and Travel Angel series tripods. They are short, and in the case of the Travel Flat, fairly compact, easy for packing.

I don't own either - yet, but am leaning towards buying a Travel Flat.

Another interesting compact folding tripod is the Cullman Magic. Again, I don't own it, but am aware of it.

The tripod I currently take is a Trek-Tech T-Pod, which is a desktop sized tripod, and that one I can recommend as it is a very heavy duty tripod and will hold a DSLR. Another one I have taken on cruises are various Gorillapods; SLR size and compact camera size.

Also read the recent Tripod thread on CC.

I use a Giottos MTL9360B with an MH1000-652 ballhead. It supports my A700 with the 70-200 f/2.8 with 75% capacity to spare.

Can be configured with the center post in a horizontal position for macros and such.

I have a small travel pod for light duty, but when I want a TRIPOD I use the Giottos.

Dave

A couple of months ago, for travel, I bought a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 with a Manfrotto 496rRC2 ball head. The combination nicely holds a 5DMII with the 100-400 lens. Yep, it was pricey, but nice and light. It will be in the suit case on the next cruise. Here at Amazon.

Larry

Wow that is pricey, about $400.

Archived