Just back from Explorer 11/5/11

The bermuda cruise that almost wasn't...:eek:

We were told Sunday night that there was less then 50 percent chance we would be able to dock in Bermuda on Monday due to a storm, then there was a sailboat in distress that night and luckily there was another ship to help them or that would have lessened our chances even more.

Monday morning we had to wait 30 minutes to try to dock since the pilot boat was rescuing another boat!

So the captain decides he is gonna dock us it was about 30 mph winds, he turns the ship and all of a sudden the wind picks up to more than 60 mph! It nearly pushed us into the dock, and we did list but I heard it was only about a 2.

The captain had on all 4 motors to the maximum and had to drop the anchor to slow the speed, he admitted it was very challenging.

Well done Captain Olav!

The ride there was very rough, out of 10 cruises this is the first time I felt quesy.

Bermuda was so windy you could barely walk, we had already hired Duke Soares the private guide and he was a treasure to have! He even managed to work around the rain by just taking to other places first then back to where we wanted to walk without getting wet.

So I doubt I will do Bermuda in November again, the ride home was nice and smooth though, lots of horn blowing this morning with all the fog .

In my opinion the entertainment is top notch, there was a comedian in the welcome aboard show as well as a another one in the farewell show. The ice show is always spectacular. There was Fast forward production show and another show (I forget the name) :confused:

Great variety of food in the windjammer which changed daily, always hot and tasty. The dining room was also very good.

It was our second time on this ship and the crew are always so friendly and accommodating.

Our cruise director was Luke Aerosmith, we've had better but he was funny sometimes.

We just returned from the 5 day to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas. We working looking for a short anniversary getaway departing close from home. It was our second time on the ship this year. We had an outstanding trip in July on the 9 day to Bermuda and the Eastern Carribbean. Leaving NJ was fine and without wind but that quickly changed. It was crazy windy! The docking in Bermuda was a challenge I am sure. Captain Olav was our Captain in July and he was great then too... he does need to work on being more resassuring and not say things like "we will attempt to leave" :) I always felt safe and never got seasick. It was disappointing not to be able to go outside but there is so much to do onboard that it was fine. The last day at sea was the best.. smooth and and warm.

The fragrant odor in the back of the ship was awful! It was most potent outside the dining rooms :( When I called to ask about it, I was told it was being worked on. I was very concerned when the ice in our drink had the same smell. We reported that as well.

Portofino was good but overrated. The "extras" were ridiculously expensive and it wouldn't kill them to give you something complimentary. But it's a cruise... I get it. I wouldn't do it again.

We do still love the Explorer but Royal Carribbean needs to pay closer attention and fix issues and not take their passengers for granted. There were many upset guests this cruise.

Next summer we are doing the Carnival Miracle. I am new to cruising and want to try all the Cruise Lines before choosing a favorite!

PS - this is my first post :)

There was definitely an odor...it came and went. Luke Arrowsmith, I thought, was great! The entertainment was ok, food was ok, our wait staff was great, room attendant was phenomenal...we had an awesome time. Windy is not the word...we had a tour of the island the first day and we did have some sun...the second day was kind of a wash. Still better than being home though. :D

Oh yes the odor, my cabin was right off the elevators on deck 7 hump.

The first night between the rocking and smell wasn't good for the stomach.

The smell seemed to move around different areas every day and they replaced carpet outside the elevators on deck 5, the smell seemed to be gone or I just got used to it by then :eek:

Our cabin attendant said someone put something in the toilet they shouldn't have

We had a hump cabin on deck 8. Didn't smell in our cabin but definitely as you walked down the stairs. My husband called Royal Caribbean today (something he never does) and filed a complaint. They said they would get back to us.. we'll see...

Archived