why cave tubing is fun?

crojemupeo

I am on the verge of booking cave tubing in Belize but i just don't know if I am getting why it's fun? Everyone has said the caves are dark and hard to see anything. We've tubed in N. GA for just the lazy day, on the water, in the sun -- there wasn't really a point but something to do with your family. would you say cave tubing in Belize is the same? If you can't see anything past 10 feet inside the caves, is there some other fun factor i'm missing?

thanks for the reply. losing sleep with my undecidedness! :-)

We have been twice and my husband feels the same way. He said he won't go again. He doesn't get why people think this is so much fun in and of itself. I enjoyed it but the reasons both times were not for the actual cave tubing part but because both times we were with fun and very funny couples. If you are with people that will make it fun along the way, then it is a fun experience. Also, the 2nd time we went with our kids and we they were all laughing and joking along the way, which again made it fun.

My theory is that if it looks or sounds fun to you, it will exceed your expectations. If it does not, then you may or may not like it.

I enjoy floating rivers and kayaking, and this was the coolest river to float. I also like caves. I'm not sure who has been saying you can't see anything. The caves are large with large openings. You can see good portions of the cave as you enter and exit Deeper in you can see certain features with your headlamps, and the guide will point out things with a brighter flashlight. I never felt like I couldn't see anything interesting.

The river itself was beautiful, refreshing and relaxing. And just being on a river inside a cave is way cool. If that sounds good to you, you will love the excursion.

We did it just because we needed something to do while in Belize and had never done cave tubing before. We had our 3 year old with us, so we knew a lot of walking to the ruins was out of the question. We also just wanted to say "we've done that before". We do enjoy a relaxing day tubing down the river and this was almost the same thing...other than you were in and out of caves.

To me, it was more of an "educational" tour, which is what we really enjoyed. The wealth of information we received from our tour guide on the ride to and from and while we were hiking in the rain forest was unbelievable. They showed us some amazing things and how people on the island could use the plants and such as a source of food. This was the fun part of the trip for me. We learned about things that we would have never known about and got to see things we normally wouldn't get to see anywhere else. The meal was "unbelizeable" that they served as well. We are happy that we took the trip and have the memories and knowledge about the island. Would we do it again? Probably not...but ONLY because we've already did it and would want to try new things.

If you want my DETAILED report...you can look here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

There is a link at the bottom of the review to more pictures. :)

I went cave-tubing and found it to be the most boring excursion I have ever done.

If I would have researched enough, I would have known it was dry season while I was there. We were dragging butt the entire way, except in the caves. The guide kept asking me "are you awake, mommy?"

I think if you do it during rainy season, it would be much more fun.

And yes, it's pretty dark in the caves. I didn't see anything exciting at all.

With all that being said, I might do it again if I were with people who had never gone before and it was rainy season.

I am on the verge of booking cave tubing in Belize but i just don't know if I am getting why it's fun? Everyone has said the caves are dark and hard to see anything. We've tubed in N. GA for just the lazy day, on the water, in the sun -- there wasn't really a point but something to do with your family. would you say cave tubing in Belize is the same? If you can't see anything past 10 feet inside the caves, is there some other fun factor i'm missing?

thanks for the reply. losing sleep with my undecidedness! :-)

No different than any tubing I have done before! The scenery is a bit nicer and you get to wear a flashlight on your head! Not real fun to me!

• 3 weeks later...

We just did the cavetubing 12/7/11. We enjoyed it, but if you are looking for something exciting-cavetubing might not be for you. I enjoyed the rainforest trek, enjoyed the guides we had, enjoyed the bus ride thru Belize city. Was it exciting, no. Relaxing, yes. Fun, yes.

Went in November. My first recommendation is to wear an old pair of sneakers, not watershoes. Very rocky walking across the river a few times and on the path there are either rocks or tree roots. I managed to twist my foot on one of those. Thank goodness the water was cool. I think that kept the swelling down. Second recommendation is go through VIV. Their tubes are excellent. Netting on the bottom and headrests. They hook the tubes together so you don't have to hook your feet under someones armpits.

I enjoyed the tubing, but the walk there was long and the rocks are a pain in the feet.

Archived