room steward protocol????

I'm reading a lot about things (excursion tickets, luggage, etc.) being "delivered to your room the first night". what's the room steward's protocol regarding when s/he delivers things? do they knock first, then let themselves in if you're not there? are there certain times they're there (for cleaning and such) and other than that they're busy with others' rooms? just kind of trying to figure out the scoop. thanks!

Your luggage will be left outside your door. Generally everything delivered will magically appear while you are out... they will knock however. They know when you are there and when you are not, you know... because of those cameras they have in the cabin silly!!!! (just kidding!!!)... but they do seem to always show up when you are NOT there... but don't worry, they will knock first...

luggage outside your door? has there ever been any problems with that? kind of odd, I think.

Not odd at all. It's how all the lines do it.

The porters who deliver the luggage are *not* your steward, so they do not have cabin access.

Mama - this has always been the procedure on all cruiselines. Don't worry about it...nobody will get your luggage.:D

The dockside porters do NOT deliver the luggage to cabins. They are not allowed in the passenger areas of the ships. They bring the luggage to a specific holding area on the ship, and the cabin stewards get the luggage and deliver to the cabin doors. I've seen luggage being delivered several times, by stewards, and have also been told by stewards that this is standard procedure.

About knocking, yes they always knock a couple of times, and they say "cabin steward" - before using their key to enter your cabin. I've experienced this many times.

On my last 3 carnival cruises the cabin steward has been delivering my luggage. (this is a reason why we get no towel animals that first night)

Cabin stewards get off from noon til 5 every day- thats why you will hear people say my steward never returned our page. Please be kind and dont page him during that time. If you need ice- call room service. You might not see your steward at all during the week except when he is cleaning someones cabin. If you need something leave a psot it note on the mirror- he will surely see it.

Cabin stewards do not deliver room service. That belongs to other people. so when they deliver-- please tip when service is rendered.

Your cabin will be made up twice a day. Seems when we were at brekafast and dinner. Sometimes the first day the steward will make him/herself known -explain stuff to you- then you have to sign on the dotted line that you were told such stuff.

Coupons are delivered to you the first night at dinner. Used to be they were in the cabin waiting. If you have a cake or something to be delivered the first night--it will be there beofre you sail away.

luggage outside your door? has there ever been any problems with that? kind of odd, I think.

Our luggage was put inside our cabin. I don't know if that's because we had already met our steward and tipped him or not.

Lesley

CCL always outside the door..RCCL, steward knocks and if you are not there, it is put in by sofa. On our last cruise, one of our CC member's bags never was found. Not sure if it even made it on the ship and if it did and was never put in the pile by the purser's desk with the one's with missing tags. It was a smaller boarding type bag and had misc toiletries an small stuff like that . Also had his dress watch in it. The bag went directly from their vehicle to the porter to who knows where...

Our luggage always made it into the room....no problems.

When we are in the room, getting ready for dinner, etc, we leave a do not disturb sign on the door. When we leave the room, the sign comes off the door.

Wanna know why?

First day of our first cruise, I was walking down the hall, pass our steward as he is knocking on the room next to us. He knocks , calls out, ROOM STEWARD! No answer...knocks again, calls out ROOM STEWARD! No answer, so he opens the door.

Both of us get the lovely sight of a young couple being a couple! I don't know who was more shocked...him or them...but he carefully closes the door, grins at me and says 'you just don't know how many times I have seen that in a day!'

NICE!

I just don't want to miss his knock or his call over the noise of the engines, the tv, other people banging their doors. No surprises, thank you.

Stef

We have had our luggage delivered to the door by the stewards. On the last cruise however, we took the elevator up to our room and when the door opened to our deck our luggage was there on a cart. we just took it to our room ourselves. Don't forget to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out or you may have an unwanted visitor.:D

We have had our luggage delivered to the door by the stewards. On the last cruise however, we took the elevator up to our room and when the door opened to our deck our luggage was there on a cart. we just took it to our room ourselves. Don't forget to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out or you may have an unwanted visitor.:D

Precisely what I was talking about. I keep that Do Not Disturb sign on my door the entire time we are in the room...I just don't need to be added to the room stewards list of things he's seen. :)

Stef

How about unexpected visitor ??;)

Oh...gotcha ;) Kinda like not closing the door all the way LOL.

Precisely what I was talking about. I keep that Do Not Disturb sign on my door the entire time we are in the room...I just don't need to be added to the room stewards list of things he's seen. :)

I learned this very thing one morning when I "forgot" I had room service coming to deliver coffee :eek:

Could it be possible that there are sensors in the rooms on some ships that tell the stewards when there are people moving in the rooms?

Before you say I'm crazy, the Portofino hotel at Universal Florida uses this for housekeeping to avoid the knock on the door and the rude question that comes asking "when are you leaving?"

Could it be possible that there are sensors in the rooms on some ships that tell the stewards when there are people moving in the rooms?

They probably have pinhole cameras:eek:

Could it be possible that there are sensors in the rooms on some ships that tell the stewards when there are people moving in the rooms? /QUOTE]

It's been my experience that they go by your dinner seating assignments, at least for the 2nd visit of the day. A couple of times when we decided to skip dinner (and just hit both happy hours!!:D ) I have been in the room when I would have been in the dining room and they have knocked. Both times I was about to leave, so I just let them come on in.

Of course, they MAY have the pinhole cameras, too! ;)

Archived