NCL Whale watching tour

ute_fan

We are going on the Sun in June. I have been reading on the Alaska board regarding whale watching with Capt. Larry vs. the ship's shore excursions. None of the information seems to apply to NCL.

Can any previous cruisers to Alaska give me any idea on what kind of ships the NCL whale watching excursion uses? In your opinion, how does the NCL excursion compare to Capt. Larry.

Trying to finalize our shore excursions, and I'm stuck on this one. In particular, we're looking at the Mendanhall Glacier/Wildlife quest vs. Capt. Larry.

Thanks in advance.

We did the jet boat whale watching tour (booked through NCL) in Juneau. Great little boat that can really fly. We saw a couple of humpbacks and then heard a call over the radio that there was a large group of them spotted. We hauled over to that area and saw about 14 of them doing bubble net feeding, where they swim in circles blowing bubbles while other whales swim up the middle of the circle and get all the fish in the middle. They all come flying out of the water, 2 or 3 at a time. It was amazing. It would have been good to be closer than we were, but it was nice to see all the boats keeping their distance so as not to disturb them. Our guide and captain were great. The company guaranteed whale spotting or a refund. Would do it again.

Your Friendly Bartender

Ute_Fan-We took the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife tour two years ago. The tour was purchased through the NCL Sky. It was probably one of the best tours we have been on. The boats had two decks, the bottom being glass enclosed, with a snack bar, and the top deck being half inclosed and half open. If I remember, it held about 50 people. (could be a little more) It was very spacious, and as it had a catamaran hull it was very stable. The crew was very informative and helpful. We saw several whales, otters, bear, and many many nesting eagles. Some of the private tours were in evidence, but all had smaller boats. I forget the name of the bay we were in but the surrounding scenery was breathtaking. The Mendenhall Glacier was also very interesting. (think it was the name???) One thing to remember, TAKE A COAT. You are surrounded by Glaciers and snow covered mountains. Oh by the way, the reason we chose the ship tour was the fact we didn't want to be stranded out in the middle of that hugh bay, and watch our cruise ship go sailing by. That happened to a couple whose cabin was next to ours. They had to pay a seaplane operator a lot of money to catch the Sky at the next port.

jmdraw_e0.gif

JOHN MENDENHALL

TimmyII--

Thanks so much for your input. I was leaning towards doing the one from the ship, and I think you have convinced me! By the way, do you have any other great input on shore excursions for the other ports. We will be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Wrangell.

Just trying to get plans finalized, and would appreciate any additional input.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

ute_fanWithout knowing what y'all like to see or do its kinda hard to recommend something. There is so many great things to see there and so little time to see em. We also loved the WHITE PASS SCENIC RAILWAY tour from Skagway. The scenery is awsome, and what a history lesson you get. I sure do hope y'all have a balcony cabin for this trip. The inside passage is indescribably beautiful and the shore line is suprisingly close. Cruising Glacier Bay was the same way. We spent the whole cruise on that balcony and darn near froze to death. 'Course being from the warm Texas Gulf Coast, I have become a ninny What ever tour Y'all decide on I am sure you will have a great time.

jmdraw_e0.gif

JOHN MENDENHALL

TimmyII

We are mostly interested in looking in scenery and seeing wildlife. My daughter is DYING to see a bear. I realize the chances aren't great, but maybe she'll get lucky. I wouldn't count on it, since we've been to Yellowstone several times without seeing one, but maybe we'll succeed.

I am planning, as of now, on the Mendenhall Glacier/wildlife quest in Juneau. In Skagway, rather than riding the railroad I think we will rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake. With 4 of us going, and neither kid excited to ride the train, it makes more monetary sense.

In Ketchikan I want take one of the Totem Pole trips. Do you have any suggestions as to which one is more worthwhile? We will also probably spend some time shopping and looking around the town.

We also go to Wrangell, and the only shore excursion that appeals to me is the Jet Boat river trip. Do you know if is it too similar to the wildlife quest to be worth the $$$? If we decide not to do that one, we will probably to go the beach to see the petroglyph rocks. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

I'm getting excited!

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Ute_Fan_We visited an Alaskan Indian Reservation while we were in Ketchikan. At the time of our visit, there was a world famous Totem Pole carver working on one of his pieces. They also had a beautiful and very informative Indian tribal dance in their ceremonial lodge. They did allow me to vidio part of this for which I will always be grateful. I am sorry I really don't remember the name of the tour. If you are interested in this type of thing I would suggest that you catch a cab to the reservation. The ships tour bus stayed at the village for about two hours after the dance so visitors would frequent the gift shop. I realize that the people of the Village needed money to defray the cost, but I would rather donate monies to their ceremonial fund, and use those two hours to visit the town. We did not visit your other port.

Reference y'all wanting to see a bear, I saw three of them. One was a close up incounter at of all places The Mendenhall Glacier. It was a small brown bear that had just come out of hibernation, and was letting people know just how upset it was to have been disturbed. When you visit these ports and the surrounding country side (and especially the inside passage) if ya keep your eyes open it is hard to tell what you will see. Thats why We lived on our balcony and froze LOL.baer.gif

jmdraw_e0.gif

JOHN MENDENHALL

TimmyII

How about some more information on the weather? When you say "froze", how cold do you mean? Obviously, living in Utah, our climate is much colder in the winter than Texas, even though summer can be quite hot.

In the interest of packing, I would just like your input. I know that dressing in layers is recommended, but I'm wondering what you needed in the way of coats/jackets/etc.

Also, what time of the season were you there?

Thanks!

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

ute-fan-We left Seattle on the last day of May, and returned seven days later. The lows were in the mid 40's and the highs were 55 to 60. Out on that ice and water and more ice I am SURE it was -50 LOL. (told ya i am a ninny) We carried several sets of thermal underwear, longsleeve shirts, light sweaters, heavy sweaters, and wind breakers. Oh don't forget the gloves, stocking caps, and WARM hiking shoes. Good thing I rented my tux on the Ship. Let me tell ya We used all of the aforementioned items too. I have to admit I was somewhat embarrassed when the Park employees at the Glacier walked out in short sleeve shirts, and to add insult to injury the boat crew were also in short sleeve "T" shirts. BRRRRRRR. We ran into several showers during the trip. (They were light) and would suggest taking a fold up poncho. You can buy one at any department store, and they are small enough to fit in your back pockett. I bought a back pack on the ship (WOW, I expected to find Alaska gold in it) whick was great for carrying water, camera's, souvenirs, ect. It was water proof, and really came in handy. (It does rain a lot there) Now that I have ya spending $500.00 more dollars on stuff I am gonna make my exit. See ya.explode.gif

jmdraw_e0.gif

JOHN MENDENHALL

• 2 weeks later...

We actually haven't booked the reservations yet. That is the project for this weekend, if I can only get all 4 of us in the same room at the same time to discuss it.

I'm leaning to the Mendenhall Glacier/Wildlife quest, partly due to the response from TimmyII above. We are on the Sun, and are only scheduled to be in port from 7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. I had emailed Capt. Larry about availability, and he had space available on the 9:00 - 12:30 tour. Being fairly new to cruising, that time schedule seems a little tight to me. I would be very unhappy if I was watching the Sun sail off without me!

We wanted to make sure we got to Mendenhall Glacier, as my sister who went a couple of years ago said it was very worthwhile, so I think the ship tour will just work better for us.

You're more than welcome to join the discussion. The more the merrier! I appreciate any input I can get.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Archived