Photos from Istanbul to Athens cruise

artbcpa

I have posted a "highlights" album from our cruise Oct. 15-22 cruise aboard the Wind Surf. I would also be happy to answer any questions anybody had about the ship, itinerary, food , service, cabins, etc.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/581794934VyAePY?vhost=travel

Note: Use the slideshow function for the best viewing.

Fantastic photos! Did you do any tours through Windstar? Which ports were tender and how was the tendering process? Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Thank you for your kind words. I do love to take photos.

We did all of our tours outside of Windstar, some privately and some on our own. The only ports tendered were Mykonos and Santorini. Everywhere else the ship was able to dock - one of the big advantages of the smaller ships.

If you want to read a comprehensive review of our cruise, go to the Cruise Critic's "member reviews" for Windstar. We posted a complete review of the ship and of our pre and post cruise stays.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved your cruise photos, and your offer of advice. My husband and I are considering the same Wind Star cruise, but from Athens to Istanbul, in June 2012 and would love to benefit from your experience. Any advice on how to get back from Istanbul to Athens, where our return tickets are? Any suggestions for a hotel in Istanbul? Any recommendations on specific port excursions, tours, taxis, etc.? Suggestions about cabin location/class? Any issues with bringing your own wine aboard? What do you wish you had known before you left? Sounds like a great trip - were there any major negatives?

Thanks much for your first-person advice - we really appreciate it!

Any advice on how to get back from Istanbul to Athens, where our return tickets are?

There are plenty of direct flights from IST to ATH. The flight is about 80 minutes and Olympic Air, Turkish Airlines and Aegean all have flights in June with one-way prices starting at around $85 per person.

Mands

• 2 weeks later...
Loved your cruise photos, and your offer of advice. My husband and I are considering the same Wind Star cruise, but from Athens to Istanbul, in June 2012 and would love to benefit from your experience. Any advice on how to get back from Istanbul to Athens, where our return tickets are? Any suggestions for a hotel in Istanbul? Any recommendations on specific port excursions, tours, taxis, etc.? Suggestions about cabin location/class? Any issues with bringing your own wine aboard? What do you wish you had known before you left? Sounds like a great trip - were there any major negatives?

Thanks much for your first-person advice - we really appreciate it!

Sorry for the delay in replying. I will try to respond to each of your inquiries, but you may also want to read my review of our cruise. (See Wind Surf member reviews - "A Comprehensive Review" from October 2011.

Transportation between Istanbul and Athens is quite easy. There are lots of inexpensive flight and trains. We actually took Turkish Airlines between the two.

I highly recommend using Ephesus Shuttle wherever they go. I believe they have tours in Istanbul and Bodrum as well as Ephesus, though I don't think you really need a tour company in Bodrum. In Istanbul we did one day on our own and use Sea Song Tours for another. They are wonderful, but really really expensive. Cost benefit wise, I would choose Ephesus Shutttle.

I would definitely recommend using a guide or tour company in Athens. There is so much to see and without someone explaining what you are seeing, It will just look pretty, but it is much more when you know the historical background.

For the other cities, it is a toss-up whether you need a guide, take the ships excursions, or just hire a taxi as you go on shore.

We chose to upgrade to a mini-suite and we are happy that we did. The cost differential was not that much for the size of the closets, two totally separate and complete bathrooms, and the service we received.

Can't comment about the wine since we don't partake.

Negatives: Istanbul - While overall we really loved each of the places we visited, Istanbul has more than its share of problems. Most important warning: "Watch your wallet". They will take you for anything they can and not think twice about it. I wouldn't buy jewelry there as much of it is fake just like their watches. So unless you really know your stuff and carry a loop around with you, stay away from the jewelry stores. My last suggestion is not one that you will hear form most visitors. If I were to return to Istanbul, I would not stay in the OLD CITY (Sultanhamet). The noise to us offset the location advantage. I would stay in Bosphorus or one of the other suburbs. Two things not to miss - The Spice Market and Bodrum, our favorite port.

• 2 months later...

Dear Artbcpa: I couldn't remember if we had thanked you for your help and information about Windstar. It was very useful for us, and we booked the Athens to Istanbul cruise for June 2012. We're looking forward to the adventure. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us - World traveler 859

Dear Artbcpa: I couldn't remember if we had thanked you for your help and information about Windstar. It was very useful for us, and we booked the Athens to Istanbul cruise for June 2012. We're looking forward to the adventure. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us - World traveler 859

You are quite welcome. We know you will enjoy your trip. We are scheduled to take a river cruise in April to see the tulips in Holland, but Ellie was just injured in a horrific accident and now we don't quite know when we will be able to travel next. (Fortunately we have trip insurance which I highly recommend for anyone traveling).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived