Pins and Needles.....

RMM34667

45 hours till sailling.. My mom and sister just took my father to the ER with chest pains..

Of course my first concern is my dad. And I'm pretty sure he is OK.. But you can't take chances.. (He's 84 has congestive heart failure and Alzhiemers) He has never reported chest pains before. He's had about 4 heart attacks that we know of. They call them silent heart attacks because his symptoms are anything but chest pains. I've seen him during what later turned out to be a heart attack, and wasn't anything like that tonight. Outwardly there really didn't seem to be anything wrong with him. BUT he went to lay down and came back saying he was nervous. It didn't take much convincing to get him to go to the ER which alone is scary...

Of course we have insurance and our cruise isn't important at this point. But I'm praying they hook up the EKG and say NOTHING GOING ON THERE.. They come home and we finish our last minute preparations for the Destiny on Monday!!

Hope all goes well for you and your Dad. A few cruises ago, my Mom went to the doctor for just a visit and he tossed her in the hospital and two days later she had 4 by passes. I was due to sail in ten days, we just postponed (had travel Ins.) and went later with Mom doing great.

I love to cruise, but getting there can be tough...and it is plainly a lot of work. Getting your house ready for you to leave and work caught up can be a bear. Once I am on the plane I am fine...but I always am on pins and needles before the trip as it seems always something happens. Best of luck and give Dad our best from his fellow cruisers. Lydia of Ohio

P.S. come back with an update for us, if you can.

Thank You!

Update.. they are keeping him a minimum of 23 hours.... Don't know yet if he had a heart attack. His blood enzymes are good, they will retest in 2 hours. BP was REALLY high, but down to 120/51. Respitory very low at 13-15. No results yet from chest xray. (we made him get a chest xray last Monday because he has had pneumonia twice in the last three months (with week long hospital stays each time!)

I KNOW he is going to be OK.. I know we don't have much time left. But today isn't the time!!!

And what ever is going on.. Better today then while at Sea!!

He's been admitted and we won't have any more test results till morning.

Ya know I wanted to get some last minute stuff done today.. Grocery shopping for my youngest son who is house/pet sitting done today and everyone kept saying... "do it tomorrow".. Might be a good thing (not necessary) or a bad (running around to get it done AFTER we get the all clear).

I've come to think that the planning for cruises is JUST AS MUCH fun as the cruise it's self. My Mom, Sister and I went to the mall today to do last minute pickup stuff and had a BLAST shopping together! And no matter what happens tomorrow you can't take that away!

I am so Blessed with having so much of my family so close. I moved here 7 years ago cause I was layed off and having financial issues, as did my sister who now lives across the street (I lived in Boston and she lived in California). But it was such a blessing for everyone. We both needed my parents back then, but now we are here and they need us. And in between we have had such a great time.

He's been admitted and we won't have any more test results till morning.

Ya know I wanted to get some last minute stuff done today.. Grocery shopping for my youngest son who is house/pet sitting done today and everyone kept saying... "do it tomorrow".. Might be a good thing (not necessary) or a bad (running around to get it done AFTER we get the all clear).

I've come to think that the planning for cruises is JUST AS MUCH fun as the cruise it's self. My Mom, Sister and I went to the mall today to do last minute pickup stuff and had a BLAST shopping together! And no matter what happens tomorrow you can't take that away!

I am so Blessed with having so much of my family so close. I moved here 7 years ago cause I was layed off and having financial issues, as did my sister who now lives across the street (I lived in Boston and she lived in California). But it was such a blessing for everyone. We both needed my parents back then, but now we are here and they need us. And in between we have had such a great time.

WOW!!! how cool is this story! I can completely relate. I think I need my Mom and Dad too. its hard to be away from everyone

More prayers for your dad and your family. My husband ended up in the hospital last month just five days before we were to cruise. He was there for 13 days. Yes, you buy insurance just in case. We were so grateful the emergency he had took place here at home and not at sea. By Jan. he should be ready to hit the Valor.

Keep us posted on your dad's situation.

Thank you all for your prayers. I know they make a difference.

Just got back from the hospital. He looks good. He didn't have a heart attack, and his chest is clear. But his BMP (used to measure congestive heart failure) is high. His cardiologist should be in sometime today. We are pretty confident he would clear him. He's a great Dr and a wonderful man. He always gives it to us straight. A year and a half ago when they found stomach cancer all the other drs gave up and told us he wasn't a canidate for surgery. This dr called me at home and said you have to insist on the surgery, let me worry about his heart. And that is what we did. He delivered on his promise and my father came out of it great.

We know my father's condition (physical and mental) and just want to make the best of whatever time we have left. His dr agrees and encourages us in that.

We took so many precautions and he saw both the cardiologist and primary care drs last week. We requested a chest xray too. I guess you can't predict everything.

Gonna have some coffee and head back up in a while and hope to be there when the dr comes in.

Sailing or not might come right down to the wire tonight!!

My prayers are with you and your family.

On a lighter note, I feel like I am watching a movie. I keep "tuning in" to see if you are going to cruise or not...lol!

It could be a soap.. "As the ship Sails".. ? Tune in next time to findout if they board or not....

45 hours till sailling.. My mom and sister just took my father to the ER with chest pains..

Of course my first concern is my dad. And I'm pretty sure he is OK.. But you can't take chances.. (He's 84 has congestive heart failure and Alzhiemers) He has never reported chest pains before. He's had about 4 heart attacks that we know of. They call them silent heart attacks because his symptoms are anything but chest pains. I've seen him during what later turned out to be a heart attack, and wasn't anything like that tonight. Outwardly there really didn't seem to be anything wrong with him. BUT he went to lay down and came back saying he was nervous. It didn't take much convincing to get him to go to the ER which alone is scary...

Of course we have insurance and our cruise isn't important at this point. But I'm praying they hook up the EKG and say NOTHING GOING ON THERE.. They come home and we finish our last minute preparations for the Destiny on Monday!!

I can completely associate with what you are going through. My mom had a stroke 12 hrs before I was supposed to fly to Florida for a cruise. Unfortunately, I had not bought insurance on the trip (lesson learned). Carnival and the airline were wonderful in assisting me with getting credit for what I had paid. Thankfully mom was fine, short term memory issues only. The next day she was telling me I should have gone on the cruise. It would have been impossible for me to enjoy myself with her in a hospital.

Archived