Carnival's Photographers

FutureMrsC

Ok, this is the only area of the wedding that is causing me to have nightmares, literally. I LOVE photo-journlistic photography but Im not big on posed pictures. I emailed my wedding coordinator about talking with the photographer before the cruise, seeing his/her portfolio, SOMETHING. They cant/wont do either.

Are there any other brides out there having the same problem? What did/are you doing? I dont want to come home with pictures I hate or none at all :(

We're hiring and bringing on our own photographer. It's great that it's offered but I hate that cruise lines "ban" outside photographers even if you don't like the style of the offered photographer. But she's cruising with us and we'll just say she's a friend. From what I understand that's never been a problem for past brides.

Ok, this is the only area of the wedding that is causing me to have nightmares, literally. I LOVE photo-journlistic photography but Im not big on posed pictures. I emailed my wedding coordinator about talking with the photographer before the cruise, seeing his/her portfolio, SOMETHING. They cant/wont do either.

Are there any other brides out there having the same problem? What did/are you doing? I don't want to come home with pictures I hate or none at all :(

This concerns me too, because I've seen some past brides photographs that, while nice, don't appear to be professional- wedding photographs. Then I've seen others which are very beautiful, and capture the wedding the way I would want. I don't want photos with other carnival passengers in the background, towels, etc.

Does anyone know if the videographer uses professional equipment? I also purchased the video, and am very concerned that it won't be a professionally recorded and edited video. I would like a professional quality DVD.

Am I asking too much for my $3.5K?

Its really hit and miss with the photos I believe. Before I got married this was a big concern for me, because I had saw some previous bride photos while they were nice I felt they were not of professional quality. My photographer took some great photos, but they were all posed and in the rush of the day I completely forgot to ask for the shots I really wanted. I would write up a little list of shots you really want on your wedding day and have the groom hold them in his pocket so once you meet the photographer you can hand him the list, which might make it easier on them to produce the photos you want.

We're hiring and bringing on our own photographer. It's great that it's offered but I hate that cruise lines "ban" outside photographers even if you don't like the style of the offered photographer. But she's cruising with us and we'll just say she's a friend. From what I understand that's never been a problem for past brides.

We did the same thing. My aunt was planning on taking pictures. Well, the photographer was WELL aware of her taking many pictures and was very good at getting in the way. Then when he took us around the ship he said people could come, but no cameras allowed. By the time he was done with us, I didn't want to go around with my aunt. I was exhausted and my feet hurt and I was so over smiling for the camera! I just wanted to sit down with my family and talk and relax.

Although I was so pleased with my photographer that i bought the biggest package, well over my budget! Very glad I did too, my aunt (who is amazing with the camera) didn't get that many good shots, most of the time we weren't looking at her (looking at the photographer)....

So just be cautious. Hope you have better luck than I did!

We did the same thing. My aunt was planning on taking pictures. Well, the photographer was WELL aware of her taking many pictures and was very good at getting in the way. Then when he took us around the ship he said people could come, but no cameras allowed. By the time he was done with us, I didn't want to go around with my aunt. I was exhausted and my feet hurt and I was so over smiling for the camera! I just wanted to sit down with my family and talk and relax.

Although I was so pleased with my photographer that i bought the biggest package, well over my budget! Very glad I did too, my aunt (who is amazing with the camera) didn't get that many good shots, most of the time we weren't looking at her (looking at the photographer)....

So just be cautious. Hope you have better luck than I did!

I'm confused, if you had a photographer why didn't you just dismiss the cruise photographer? Having him there just seems like asking for problems. I know for a fact that Carnival will allow you to dismiss their photographer so that wouldn't even have been a problem. They do make you sign something saying you dismissed them, but once that's signed they are gone and out of your way.

I'm confused, if you had a photographer why didn't you just dismiss the cruise photographer? Having him there just seems like asking for problems. I know for a fact that Carnival will allow you to dismiss their photographer so that wouldn't even have been a problem. They do make you sign something saying you dismissed them, but once that's signed they are gone and out of your way.

Simple, because I wanted carnival's photographer to be there. I didn't hire a professional photographer, I asked my aunt to take pictures as well so I possibly did not have to purchase as big of a package. We planned on going around with her after the photographer was done but he spent 2 hours with us and I was done with pictures by then. My husband just wanted to take his jacket off by then

I got married this past summer on the Carnival Glory. The photographer was fantastic and the pictures came out great. Just remember, that the cruise photographer knows the ship and how the lighting works. I got married in the green room, and the pics he took were great. Pics that the family took had an odd color to him. They also know the best areas for pics. When we took our outside pics I didn't notice what was behind us. After seeing the pics, I realized he positioned us with the beautiful NYC skyline behind us. We were actually looking at our pics less then 24 hours after the wedding.

It is great if you want to bring your own photographer but I would still have the cruise photographer there also.

I got married this past summer on the Carnival Glory. The photographer was fantastic and the pictures came out great. Just remember, that the cruise photographer knows the ship and how the lighting works. I got married in the green room, and the pics he took were great. Pics that the family took had an odd color to him. They also know the best areas for pics. When we took our outside pics I didn't notice what was behind us. After seeing the pics, I realized he positioned us with the beautiful NYC skyline behind us. We were actually looking at our pics less then 24 hours after the wedding.

It is great if you want to bring your own photographer but I would still have the cruise photographer there also.

First of all, a real photograpger will be able to walk into any room and be able to shoot in that environment. Plus they aren't blind, usually, they can see backgrounds and good shooting locations. Mine is a rock star and has already spent a lot of time researching our wedding to get some location ideas and coming up with the best place to do our Day After/Trash the Dress shoots. So if people want to hire their own photographer, be sure you hire a pro, not a family member with. A Rebel or something.

Second, if you do hire an outside photograpger read your contract! Mine states very clearly that she is to be the only hired photographer there and this is the norm. You may not be able to have the ship's photographer there as per your contract.

It just really bothered me that you can't meet the photographers ahead of time and work with them or even communicate with them. At least with mine I know she'll be aware of our preferences, family dynamics, the fact that I prefer my left side over my right, and that we hate posed shots. Plus she's shooting our engagements, my boudoirs, and our Day After pics so everything will be in the same style/quality.

so we can dismiss Carnivals photographer? That would be awesome since Im extremely close to just booking my photographer a cabin on the cruise. Especially since Im probably looking at $1000-1500 min on prints alone.

Yes, at least as of June of this year you could! They make you sign arelease and then they leave. You may be able to get a good deal for your photographer as well if you pay for them to cruise. We're paying for my photogs room, flight, and $100 obc and then just a $200 fee for her services. Total price will be about $1000 and that not only includes all of the digital files but she's giving us a $100 print credit which I will probably use to buy an album.

First of all, a real photograpger will be able to walk into any room and be able to shoot in that environment. Plus they aren't blind, usually, they can see backgrounds and good shooting locations. Mine is a rock star and has already spent a lot of time researching our wedding to get some location ideas and coming up with the best place to do our Day After/Trash the Dress shoots. So if people want to hire their own photographer, be sure you hire a pro, not a family member with. A Rebel or something.

Second, if you do hire an outside photograpger read your contract! Mine states very clearly that she is to be the only hired photographer there and this is the norm. You may not be able to have the ship's photographer there as per your contract.

It just really bothered me that you can't meet the photographers ahead of time and work with them or even communicate with them. At least with mine I know she'll be aware of our preferences, family dynamics, the fact that I prefer my left side over my right, and that we hate posed shots. Plus she's shooting our engagements, my boudoirs, and our Day After pics so everything will be in the same style/quality.

No need for your sarcastic reply. I am glad that your photographer is not "blind". I was just sharing my experience. I hope your photographer works out the way you would like it to.

I met with my photographer the day before the wedding. Didn't even ask. When the coordinator came to talk to me about the ceremony, the photographer was with her. So it IS possible to talk to your photographer, just depends on when your getting married and who they are.

I really hope it all works out. I had amazing luck with my photographer and he ended up giving me a great deal AND threw it a lot of free stuff.

My very dear friend gave me a suggestion that made sense That I thought I would share. She told me you have pics of dresses you would like to see when you go dress shopping, why not do the same with the photographer. Especially since you do not have much time to meet with him/her. She advised me to find wedding poses pre, during and post and put them together so the photographer can see what you want. This may be a better way to communicate as they are visual artists. For those you cannot find, telling them will work. Then you can ask them to show you your photos taken like those in your samples when you go to view. Makes the explaining part take less time.

• 4 weeks later...

I was very worried, but never had time to print out examples beforehand. It turns out that I had nothing to worry about at all. Our photographer was wonderful and after taking the types of poses he wanted, I said there were a few things I would like, and he did what I wanted too.

Last year I was a "guest" to a wedding on a Carnival ship. I was actually a photographer. The bride just introduced me as a college friend. I only worked with one lens because we didn't know how strick their policy would be. However, it seems like it would have been fairly easy to have put extra lenses in my purse.

I will be getting married in 2012, on the Magic, and I am not impressed with their prices so I will be bringing someone on to do photos. I hate posed photos.

I can understand why you would want to bring your own. I'm a full time wedding photographer, so I debated long and hard on my different options, and finally decided to take the photos myself! I just couldnt bear the thought of not having access to the files... Gotta have full control, lol. We will just video the ceremony itself, and then take the photos with a tripod and remote trigger. Hopefully I can find someone willing to hold the camera and push the button a few times for some nice intimate close ups. We can do the rest. My husband is my second shooter, so he will have no problem taking my bridal portraits and is totally looking forward to making me bend into uncomfortable positions and bossing me around, lol! We are going on the cruise alone, so I really just want a few wow shots for the walls. Hey, I figure if Jerry can do it, so can we!

http://jerryghionisblog.com/page/7

Last year I was a "guest" to a wedding on a Carnival ship. I was actually a photographer. The bride just introduced me as a college friend. I only worked with one lens because we didn't know how strick their policy would be. However, it seems like it would have been fairly easy to have put extra lenses in my purse.

I will be getting married in 2012, on the Magic, and I am not impressed with their prices so I will be bringing someone on to do photos. I hate posed photos.

Archived