Excursion Help, for Kona & Hilo

roomgypsy

Looking for excursions for Kona & Hilo. I have checked the Celebrity page and read through them, but nothing 'jumps' out to me. Would prefer to hear recommendations from cruisers who have participated in same. No snorkeling or extensive hiking, but other than that, very open to suggestions. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Infinity, Hawaii, September 26/04

I have never cruised to Hawaii but I have been to the Big Island twice. On the Hilo side, I would rent a car for the day, visit Volcano National Park, and yes, I would do some short hikes there. It is fascinating. Don't forget the visitors' center as well. Then, time permitting, drive to Akaka Falls and take in the scenery along the way. We have also visited the Tsunami Museum which we found interesting. I think the town of Kailua Kona is neat. I would also rent a car, and spend some time at the Place of Refuge. The history isn't so ancient and its an interesting stop. We have rented kayaks along the rode and put in at Kealekakua Bay. I know that you mentioned no snorkeling, but the snorkeling at Captain Cook's monument is great and its only a short kayak trip across the bay. What are some of the options you are being offered?

Dawn,Ct.

If you like to see turtles, ask the locals the name of the beach where the guy lives who invented the pacemaker. (Sorry I forgot the name.) Park on the side of the road, and walk about a half mile towards the beach. There is a lovely beach with some beautiful houses there. The beach is not private and there are many turtles there.

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

roomgypsy,

It's easy to get around Kona if you rent a car. Be aware though that traffic can be really bad. They have a rush hour and it ties up the highway. You might want to think about a helicopter ride which will take you over the island highlights. You might also check www.hawaii.com or Pleasant Holidays for private tour operators. Have a great time , Aloha

We just got back from the Big Island and did a really fun kayaking trip called "Flumin da Ditch". I don't know if the ship offers this as an excursion or if it will work into the time frame but it was the best thing we've ever done in Hawaii, period. It starts out in Hawi on the North end of the island and you're taken up to a 100 year-old irrigation canal that winds through rain forest and macadamia groves. There are quite a few tunnels and the guides share lots of local folklore and history about the island and the construction of the canal. Flumin da ditch is something the local Hawaiians have done for generations. I would highly recommend it. www.flumindaditch.com. They also have humvee jungle tours.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

The World Ship - Europe July 2004

We just got back from a land trip to the Big Island. For Hilo, I too suggest renting a car and driving up to Volcanoes National Park. Its a pleasant 30 minute drive from Hilo. Start at the Visitor Center, which has a film and ranger walks. We did a very interesting ranger walk from the Visitor Center. Then take the circular drive around the volcano summit. It has several stops where you walk a few feet or a short distance to awesome views into the crater or vents where steam and sulphur gas are escaping. Although the drive is not long (10 miles), its can take a few hours to view the various sites. For the past few months, there has not been any lava flowing in places accessible to the public, but check with the park service (nps.gov) for updates.

You may also want to go to Rainbow falls in Hilo. We didn't get there. We did get to Akaka Falls, which is about a 20-30 minute drive from Hilo in the opposite direction. The falls are nice and located in a very beautiful rain forest with your choice of a 1 minute walk or a 15 minute circular walk to the falls.

Hi

I did a fair bit of research on the Internet looking for private tours because we don’t like being herded about on ship’s tours and I didn’t want to rent a car or van and have my husband stuck doing the driving for our group of 5 (my husband and myself, and my mother, a female friend and my uncle all in their 70’s) – I wanted my husband to be able to sit back and enjoy the scenery too.

I found Ohana Tours, emailed them for more information and was very pleased with what they responded. They were by far the most reasonable option – the next closest was a similar service at $65/hour. Ohana Tours advised that the cost for a 6 - 8 hour tour would be $75 pp for a car if there were 3 of us, and $50 pp for a van if there were 5 of us, plus approx. 4% tax. These prices did not include any entrance fees, e.g. to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park ($10 per vehicle as long as it’s not a commercial vehicle; Ohana Tours rent their vans so it has no commercial logos on the side). We agreed that we would provide lunch for the guide/driver - either the buffet at the Volcano Restaurant or by bringing food with us from the ship. If we chose the latter option, we could either bring our own cooler or Ohana Tours would provide a cooler if we preferred. The tour itself was to be decided by us with input from the guide re timing etc.

We had an absolutely terrific day. We met our guide, Mark Dawson, just outside the Hilo pier area. We introduced ourselves and we were on our way. Mark turned out to be very personable – he had a very easy-going manner and we never seemed rushed at any point during the day. I should mention that the van was a 2003 model, clean, and very comfortable; it would hold up to 7 people I think.

We first visited Rainbow Falls because it’s right in Hilo – very pretty. Then we stopped to get ice for the cooler that Ohana Tours had provided and then we were off to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and spent much of the day there – seeing the movie about the park, visiting the caldera/crater (it’s huge!), seeing the steam vents, walking through Thurston lava tube (really neat ) and driving down Chain of Craters road. We didn’t get to see flowing lava because on that particular day we would have had to hike 1 hour to and from the lava over rough terrain. (Since we returned, I have read a post at Cruise Critic from a lady in her 30’s that said they did hike for an hour each way and found it to be very hot, exhausting work over uneven lava slabs which turned out to be quite sharp. Her 60’s something father compared it to a forced march he had while serving in Korea.)

For lunch, we stopped at a roadside outlook overlooking the Pacific Ocean and had a picnic lunch of food we’d brought from the ship, which we shared with Mark. After we left the park, we visited Volcano Winery, the Macadamia nut plantation, and Big Island Candies (back in Hilo). We decided to not include Akaka Falls because of the 3-mile hike over uneven terrain from the road to the falls.

Ohana Tours were agreeable to us paying at the end of the tour, and we all paid individually. It is a small company and prefers traveller’s cheques or cash payments.

Here’s the contact info for Kahiki at Ohana tours (he and his wife also own a B&B called A Cottage in Paradise)

Ohana Tours

Phone: (808) 982-5369 or (808) 966-5077 (A Cottage in Paradise)

email: ohana@acottageinparadise.com

If I can answer any questions for you, I’d be happy to do so.

Bev

First, be sure to check out the Hawaii ports of call board. You will get great answers over there.

Yes, in Hilo, definately visit Volcano National Park and drive Crater Road. Visit Thurston Lava Tube (a very short hike through a tunnel which used to be filled with lava), and the falls.

In Kona, trek down to the City of Refuge. Also consider the Atlantis Submarine.

Whatever you do, be sure to read up on the history of the places you are going to visit. It will make it A LOT more rewarding for you.

[We lived in Honolulu for 18 years].

My folks have a place in Kona so I've been a "few" times.

Concur with Kealekekua (sp?) - there are some great boat trips (the Fairwind company comes to mind) where they serve lunch, you can snorkel, you can float in a tube or you can check out the folks in the water with the glass bottom portion of the boat. Snorkeling there is divine, if you don't like to get your face wet, try a tube and a view box for seeing all the gorgeous fish and coral.

City of Refuge is one of my favorite places on the Big Island. REALLY interesting Polynesian cultural center there that is very cool for all ages. Also GREAT snorkeling and diving right there - coral/stone "steps" ease your way in and out of the water. Last time I was there someone had made a peace sign and spelled out aloha in cinderblocks at the sandy bottom about 25 feet below.

Oh and we ran into a couple of VERY friendly and curious sea turtles while diving there.

I've never done it (though I WANT to!), but deep sea fishing is really big off the Kona coast. There are also whale watching trips to take I think.

From either Hilo or Kona you could go down to South Point and the black sand beach and there is a nice little restaurant there (that is if it has not been covered in lava icon_eek.gif)

Happy Cruising!

Jennifer

HAL ZUIDERDAM 1/04

Celebrity GALAXY 9/03

Celebrity CENTURY 6/03

Dolphin SEABREEZE 10/97

Carnival IMAGINATION 10/96

Costa ROMANTICA 10/95

Celebrity MERIDIAN 4/91

Carnival CELEBRATION 4/90

By the way, we were just at Akaka Falls four weeks ago. From the parking lot there are two ways to get to the falls. Go to the left and its a minute or so short walk on a paved path (with steps) to the falls. Go to the left and you do the circular 15 minute walk through the fabulous rainforest. Beautiful flowers and very interesting trees. Its also paved (with lots of steps), although the path and steps are old and warped in some places.

The falls are nice - I think the highest in Hawaii. But the 15 minute walk to the right through the rainforest was the highlight for us.

There is a sign as you leave the parking lot stating which way is the short way and which is the long way.

We cruised Hawaii a couple of years ago - In Hilo I definitely recommend spending the money to take a helicopter flight over the volcano. Well worth the money. but book it yourself on the internet and you will save a lot of money. We did that then picked up our rental car from the airport after our helicopter ride and drove to and around the volcano national park. That way we made the most of our too short day.

There was a family group of us and those that did not want to go ont he helicopter satayed on the ship and we picked them up with the car afterwards for the trip to the national park.

In Kona we rented a car and drove tot he Waipio Valley. Actually you can only drive to the rim of the valley. there you leave your car and go down into the valley on a single lane 0- very steep track in a van with a guide / driver. This was very interesting and the weather changed dramatically between the top / rim of the valley and the valley floor.

Archived