Port Everglades logistics help

ehough

We will be driving in from Orlando on the day of our cruise. It's me, DH, two small children, a stroller, car seats, and suitcases!

1. Is it possible to drive up near the port and drop off our luggage? The reason I ask is we will then need to return the rental car and getting back from FLL will be much easier with less of our "stuff" in tow.

2. It seems easier (and probably cheaper?) for DH to take the car back himself and then take a cab back to the port. Is there somewhere I could wait for him with the kids? I'm not sure of the layout of the port- is there a restaurant we could walk to, or any kind of just open seating area as I've seen at other ports?

Any help would be great!

Yes you can drive up to the ship and drop off your luggage. We have done that before and DW stays at the pier while to take the rental car to the drop off. There are a couple rental car companies that offer a free shuttle from the airport rental center to the Port and several other companies have satellite locations near the Port that have free shuttles such as Hertz, Avis, Budget.

There are no restaurants or outdoor seating areas at the port other than a few benches by some of the terminals. It would be easier for you to check your bags first and have your husband to take the car back alone. If you both have cell phones, perhaps you could check in separately then meet on the ship. If you want to check in together, I suppose you could agree to meet outside at a place that you both agree to before he drives off. Make sure he has his ID and boarding pass, and that you have yours either way so that you can be flexible.

Thrifty shares a location with, I believe Dollar, just outside the port gates. We often go and drop off our luggage, return the rental car and catch the shuttle back to the port. Takes maybe 20 minutes. Shuttles run almost continuously. Great advise about paperwork. Both passports and checkin materials. Print out duplicates, in case it is raining and you need to go inside with the children. (They usually ask for your ID before letting you very far into the building.) Good luck, have a great cruise. Hope you get an early start. Best guess about a 3-1/2 to 4 hour drive to Ft. Lauderdale, depending on traffic and stops. Say hi to Mickey!!!:)

Kathryn

Archived