:( Well Bye bye Carnival :(

4THELOVEOFBOO

The only issue with the 2 tops is that they are set so close together. I would not do ATD with just two people ever again. It was very awkward for us.

The second night we had a 2 top and we sat next to a couple that we ate with for much of the remainder of the cruise in a booth, usually across from another group that everyone chatted back and forth with. One night we arranged to get all ten of us at one table. The staff seemed to do their best to accommodate requests. :)

Smoking restrictions: A smoker told me that she had nowhere to go in the adult area of the ship/lido (maybe where Serenity is now??)...and where she was allowed to smoke was right by where the kids are.

(I do not smoke...so I have no clue, but this seemed rather stupidon CCL's part to me. She is a member here...if she happens to read this, I hope she chimes in to clarify specifics....)

There were other instances that made you kinda :rolleyes:...but as you can tell nothing serious...just makes you wonder about the mental capacity of those in charge.

You ask, and I appear! LOL! Yes, the smoking thing got under my skin for sure. You are not allowed to smoke in the Serenity area (which is comprised of 2 separate decks, so would be easy to designate one as smoking), nor are you allowed to smoke on aft Lido where the adult pool is. Why, FTLOG, they want to cram the smokers all into the most crowded area where the children are is totally beyond me:mad: You can also smoke on starboard side of the deck above Lido, but it's mostly sunny up there, and it's a long flight of stairs...neither are conducive to this Irish lady with bad knees:o We like to find a spot near a bar, near some of the action (but not in the middle of the insanity) to hang out. Since we really couldn't find this, we ended up spending alot more time on our balcony drinking our own booze....Carnival definitely lost revenue from us due to their smoking rules...

On the freedom the outdoor portion of Camp Carnival as on the port side below the Serenity. Every time we were there the kids were usually playing games accompanied by at least one counselor and did not seem to be a disturbance although there were those that commented because the 'possibility was there'. :confused: I believe there is no smoking on Serenity. I think the adult pool is located on the Lido fantail and is half smoking. Kids were allowed to use the lounges so there were some there at times.

When talking about being where the children are, we are referring to the Main Lido pool area...that is the smoking area. And there is no smoking allowed at the aft pool on the Freedom (and similar class ships). You used to be able to smoke on the starboard side of Spirit Class ships, but when they added the Serenity area, they also made that non-smoking...again sending the smokers to the Main Lido pool area where the children are.

The only issue with the 2 tops is that they are set so close together. I would not do ATD with just two people ever again. It was very awkward for us.

We actually didn't mind the 2 tops....you were close enough to talk to your neighbors if you felt compelled to, but if you didn't want to, you didn't feel obligated (as you would if you sat with others). We actually had a good time meeting new people each nite!:)

You ask, and I appear! LOL! Yes, the smoking thing got under my skin for sure. You are not allowed to smoke in the Serenity area (which is comprised of 2 separate decks, so would be easy to designate one as smoking), nor are you allowed to smoke on aft Lido where the adult pool is. Why, FTLOG, they want to cram the smokers all into the most crowded area where the children are is totally beyond me:mad: You can also smoke on starboard side of the deck above Lido, but it's mostly sunny up there, and it's a long flight of stairs...neither are conducive to this Irish lady with bad knees:o We like to find a spot near a bar, near some of the action (but not in the middle of the insanity) to hang out. Since we really couldn't find this, we ended up spending alot more time on our balcony drinking our own booze....Carnival definitely lost revenue from us due to their smoking rules...

When talking about being where the children are, we are referring to the Main Lido pool area...that is the smoking area. And there is no smoking allowed at the aft pool on the Freedom (and similar class ships). You used to be able to smoke on the starboard side of Spirit Class ships, but when they added the Serenity area, they also made that non-smoking...again sending the smokers to the Main Lido pool area where the children are.

We actually didn't mind the 2 tops....you were close enough to talk to your neighbors if you felt compelled to, but if you didn't want to, you didn't feel obligated (as you would if you sat with others). We actually had a good time meeting new people each nite!:)

Linda, thanks for the clarification on the smoking areas!!! I was hoping you'd see my post and give details.

As far as meeting new people, I agree that is nice and why we never minded the regular, traditional seating...but for that one cruise when Bill & I went alone and I wanted to have just dinner for two all week, it didn't work out. It was very stupid on my part, not to think to ask if there were tables that were more private. It just never occurred to me at that time.

When we booked this Freedom cruise, we chose ATD because it was the 6 of us and we wanted the flexibility....Now that I have tried ATD twice, I must say that I am happy we chose traditional (late) dining for the next CCL cruise. On CCL for us, traditional is just better.

Now they should put Rocky Mountain Oysters on the DIDJA menu, now THAT that is one to brag about once you try it.

I don't know if Rockefeller is a Northeast thing or what. Find them on menu's pretty often up here, but a few people we cruised with had never heard of them. Who knows.

Antoine's of New Orleans invented Oyster's Rockefeller by 1899 by Jules Alciatore, son of the restaurant's founder. It was named after John D. Rockefeller - the richest man in America at that time due to the richness of the sauce. The dish was developed due to a shortage of French Snails for Escargot. Oyster's were readily available to New Orleans from the Gulf of Mexico. Since 1899 over 3,500,000 plates of Oyster's Rockefeller have been sold at Antoines. Nowadays Oyster's Rockefeller recipes usually contain Pernod, however, it is likely that the original 1899 version contained Absinthe. The exact Antoine's recipe is not fully known, but chemical analysis revealed that it contains parsley, pureed and strained celery, either scallions or chives (too similar for the chemist to distinguish), olive oil and capers - very different from the more common recipe which contains spinach.

I have never had any problem with the prime rib. The lobster is always small. That is why I always order more than one. I don’t care for the fried chicken anymore in the main dining room. However the chicken fingers on the lido deck were great. I do miss the shrimp cocktail at diner every night. I have tried a few new things that I didn’t like. But the good thing is you can always get something else. Room service sandwiches are always good. As are the deli sandwiches. Pizza and Stromboli’s have always been ok. Sometimes they have been good. Breakfast foods are always great. We prefer the main dining room for breakfast if we get up early enough. For the most part the food has been good for us. Since we didn’t have to prepare it or clean up afterwards helps make it better.

Very true...but it wasn't necessary in this case. He ate the bit of meat that was on his plate and 1/2 of my prime rib as my portion was too big for me.

I have read a few complaints on portion size but I have to tell you, we didn't experience small portions at all....

This is the reason we didn't send DH's meat back...as you can see, my portion was by no means small, so I gave him 1/2 of it.

By the time you have the salad and the soup (the soups as usual were all fabulous and by far the best part of my meal every night) there isn't much room left for a huge entree and I am not a tiny girl.

P1010118.jpg

Linda, thanks for the clarification on the smoking areas!!! I was hoping you'd see my post and give details.

As far as meeting new people, I agree that is nice and why we never minded the regular, traditional seating...but for that one cruise when Bill & I went alone and I wanted to have just dinner for two all week, it didn't work out. It was very stupid on my part, not to think to ask if there were tables that were more private. It just never occurred to me at that time.

When we booked this Freedom cruise, we chose ATD because it was the 6 of us and we wanted the flexibility....Now that I have tried ATD twice, I must say that I am happy we chose traditional (late) dining for the next CCL cruise. On CCL for us, traditional is just better.

We have a tough time deciding on dining times...we love the experience of traditional, but we love the flexibility of Anytime...tough call for us.

This is the reason we didn't send DH's meat back...as you can see, my portion was by no means small, so I gave him 1/2 of it.

By the time you have the salad and the soup (the soups as usual were all fabulous and by far the best part of my meal every night) there isn't much room left for a huge entree and I am not a tiny girl.

P1010118.jpg

Oh thanks so much for posting that, Angel!:rolleyes: As I sit here at my desk (starving) wishing I was back on the ship..... :p

We were very pleased with the food on this cruise. Even the lobster tail was very good (which isn't always the case). The only disappointment was when DH ordered the Langostino cocktail and it came out in the shape of a cat food can and tasted about the same:eek: I missed the shrimp cocktails on the nites that the appetizers didn't do anything for me, but I found that you can substitute the fruit and cheese plate (from the dessert menu) as an appetizer...worked out very well!

If you are someone who eats out alot and at up scale restuarants your tastes are going to be different. If you are someone like me, who cooks at home most of the time, and rarely eats out then anyones food that I dont have to cook or clean up after is wonderful!

Bonnie

I love this comment, I agree!! Someone even makes the bed

You know I am NO cheerleader and I missed NCL quite a bit during this cruise for severl reasons...however, we did dine in the evenings.

This is just my opinion....my MIL wanted me to write CCL and tell them that she was disappointed in the food. I told her for what she paid, it was a feast....

The food/service is what it is because of the price.

I just hope that with oil going up even more, that CCL doesn't cut back any more.

The food quality may not be as good as it was...service definitely is not anywhere close to what it once was, but it wasn't horrible by any means.

I did lower my expectations for this cruise. The lower expectations were met as far as entertainment...but as for food, I have to say this cruise was an improvement over my cruises on the Triumph and Fantasy.

I guess that makes the issue an issue of consistency.

There also are a few things that CCL does that are pretty stupid LOL

These are two things that were pointed out to me (I did not notice this myself)

The menu on the first formal night has many very appetizing options. One of them is the BBQ ribs.

BBQ ribs...on formal night??? :p

I didn't think about it but it's true...better to be eating messy food with your fingers when you are not wearing something special.

The menus are now similiar to restaurant chains. not where I go out to eat. But for the price, it is a bargain. Ribs on elegant night is foolish, but there were tables with jeans. Still messy, but not dressed up. If you go to TGIF, you would not dress up. Since the MDR is turning into a restaurant like TGIF, what can you expect?

This is Carnival's target market.

I lower my expectations when cruising Carnival - it is the low price provider - still a good value, but lacking when compared to some other lines.

You know I am NO cheerleader and I missed NCL quite a bit during this cruise for severl reasons...however, we did dine in the evenings.

This is just my opinion....my MIL wanted me to write CCL and tell them that she was disappointed in the food. I told her for what she paid, it was a feast....

The food/service is what it is because of the price.

I just hope that with oil going up even more, that CCL doesn't cut back any more.

The food quality may not be as good as it was...service definitely is not anywhere close to what it once was, but it wasn't horrible by any means.

I did lower my expectations for this cruise. The lower expectations were met as far as entertainment...but as for food, I have to say this cruise was an improvement over my cruises on the Triumph and Fantasy.

I guess that makes the issue an issue of consistency.

There also are a few things that CCL does that are pretty stupid LOL

These are two things that were pointed out to me (I did not notice this myself)

The menu on the first formal night has many very appetizing options. One of them is the BBQ ribs.

BBQ ribs...on formal night??? :p

I didn't think about it but it's true...better to be eating messy food with your fingers when you are not wearing something special.

The menus are now similiar to restaurant chains. not where I go out to eat. But for the price, it is a bargain. Ribs on elegant night is foolish, but there were tables with jeans. Still messy, but not dressed up. If you go to TGIF, you would not dress up. Since the MDR is turning into a restaurant like TGIF, what can you expect?

This is Carnival's target market.

I lower my expectations when cruising Carnival - it is the low price provider - still a good value, but lacking when compared to some other lines.

I have to agree with most of what you said. We just got off Dream yesterday and I plan to write a review soon. We have cruised 3 times with CCL and 12 times with RCL so I think I can honestly compare the two and will try to do that in the next week or so. The food on Dream in the MDR was pretty bad, we all noticed it including those with us who only cruise on CCL. The food on RCL has also gone down but I was hoping that Dream would be better but it wasn't. As far as the dress in MDR, I saw shorts and jeans every nite (including dress up nights). It didn't bother me at all what peole wore. We enjoyed the ship and saw no crazy behavior or out of control people on CCL which I have seen on RCL. I am a blue collar guy who likes to dress up occasionally. I tell people that cruising on CCL and RCL are like shopping at Walmart or Target. You can purchase all the same items at both stores but tend to be shopping with different people. Both are nice people and good people but different people. I shop at what every store is closest and dont care about who is my fellow shopper. It is the same way when I cruise, give me a good price and itinerary and I am on board.

Mike

I cruised on the Miracle in July 2010 and found the food for the most part excellent. Maybe having a excellent wait staff added to the enjoyment. The only critism of carnival is the general handling of crowds. It seems the design of royal Carib. Ships handles crowds so much better.

I have to agree with most of what you said. We just got off Dream yesterday and I plan to write a review soon. We have cruised 3 times with CCL and 12 times with RCL so I think I can honestly compare the two and will try to do that in the next week or so. The food on Dream in the MDR was pretty bad, we all noticed it including those with us who only cruise on CCL. The food on RCL has also gone down but I was hoping that Dream would be better but it wasn't. As far as the dress in MDR, I saw shorts and jeans every nite (including dress up nights). It didn't bother me at all what peole wore. We enjoyed the ship and saw no crazy behavior or out of control people on CCL which I have seen on RCL. I am a blue collar guy who likes to dress up occasionally. I tell people that cruising on CCL and RCL are like shopping at Walmart or Target. You can purchase all the same items at both stores but tend to be shopping with different people. Both are nice people and good people but different people. I shop at what every store is closest and dont care about who is my fellow shopper. It is the same way when I cruise, give me a good price and itinerary and I am on board.

Agree about the Dream. That was the worst MDR experience DW and I had in cruises. Steaks were not cooked to order and seafood and chicken very dry. I think it the problem may be they are cooking for too many people.

We were on the Inspiration and ate in the MDR every night, and the food was wonderful. We're hoping it will be the same way on the Miracle next week.

Just got off the Magic this morning and everything I had in the dining room was really good. Plus the Italian restaurant is free for lunch and very good. We had almost 3800 passengers and had no long lines anywhere on the ship. The Magic is a beautiful ship. Had a blast.

Gearing up fpr our next CCL adventure in a loooong 109 days!

After having worked in the food industry for a number of years I have a large appreciation of what is required to produce in excess of 8000 meals per day minimum for any Conquest Class ship and up. Can you imagine the logistics involved?

I guess we have been blessed with solidly good dining experiences with CCL. We always make it a point to ask our waiter for recommendations and what, if anything,to steer clear of. This seems to set a good tone for a nice one week partnership.

For the Lido buffets we pick our dining times carefully. Don't expect a great experience when 75% of the guests are trying to eat at 8:00 and 12:00.

Now all you people do realize that if

you get a bad meal, over or under cooked.

You can always ask for another meal.

Agree about the Dream. That was the worst MDR experience DW and I had in cruises. Steaks were not cooked to order and seafood and chicken very dry. I think it the problem may be they are cooking for too many people.

We were on the Inspiration and ate in the MDR every night, and the food was wonderful. We're hoping it will be the same way on the Miracle next week.

Just Got off of the Dream on Saturday and even though we did have a great trip, the boat is beautiful, service is good (not GREAT) but all the things said about the food is true. When we cruised a few years ago every night we were so impressed with the dishes that we tried but, this cruise we actually sent some back, not one dish was very good and some of them were actually down right gross. I had the Prime Rib one night it was ALL fat a couple of nights later someone else in our party had it and experienced the same thing. Most of the meals just were not good at all. Even some of the staff were not friendly at all!! This makes as sad because our last cruise was FANTASTIC!! Next we are going to try NCL of Royal Caribbean. :(

At least they did not lose your luggage. I disembarked on Nov. 13th and my luggage has never been seen again. After numerous conversations with Carnival, the luggage express people, and my airline and it is clear that the fault rested with the Guest Care Desk on board the Carnival Valor. It will take a minimual of 60 days before I have any hope of having a claim paid and Carnivals protection package only reimburses at a rate of 80% (and that is with almost everything that was packed was new or barely use - I have certain clothes that had been set aside for use only in vacations).

It's Cruise Critic...'advertising dislikes' is definitely something that can be done here as well as likes.

No one wants to hear anything bad.

I think they should change the name of this web site to 'Ostrichville'

Priceless, Halos...noticed you've stopped posting almost as much as I have. It's gettin' nasty out there!!!!

Lynda

Archived