Smile Tours, Halong Bay?

maggie3

We would love to hear from fellow cruisers who have sailed in Halong Bay on a daytrip shore excursion with Smile Tours Vietnam. We are looking at a seven hour cruise, beginning at 7:30 a.m., that involves entrance into two caves and a seafood lunch, vs. a three and one-half hour ship excursion with one cave and no meal. We may skip the caves, as we are not fond of caves, and stay on the boat to admire the scenery. Is there enough shade on the Smile Tours boat so that we will not be sitting in the sun for seven hours? Is the boat that Smile uses a junk with batwing sails? (Wouldn't want to miss out on atmosphere.) Did you feel that you saw more islands/rock formations on the Smile tour than you might have seen on the ship's 3 1/2 hour tour? Is there any option but seafood for lunch? Thanks for all advice.

I am the original poster and hope someone will offer some advice on my concerns. This seems to be the official Smile Tours, as I have been corresponding with Ms. Thi. I have read lots of good reviews for Ms. Thi and Smile Tours, but not so much about Smile's Halong Bay seven hour cruises. Can someone at least please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Only sailed Halong Bay by a junk hired at the pier so I can't help a lot, Maggie, but I'll do my best.

Smile is a very-frequently used name amongst Vietnamese operators and there's a great deal of confusion - some of it possibly deliberate cashing-in on the good name of another operator.

A good tour operator should be able to answer your questions direct.

Most, if not all junks have the little batwing sails. And on most, if not all their primary function is the illusion - they're actually propelled by diesel engines. And to be fair, that's the only way to offer a reliable service, esp in Halong Bay's pretty windless conditions.

Most, if not all have a saloon, with open deck above, and they don't jam the boats full of pax. So sun or shade is up to you, although Halong Bay is invariably misty - a bit of a spoiler elsewhere, but amongst the limestone karsts of Halong Bay the mist adds to the eerie atmosphere. Might even be a little chilly on the return across the Bay.

Fresh seafood is the staple diet, your junk may even stop off at a little floating village, where you choose the fish from those swimming in keep-nets & its cooked for you on the junk - can't get fresher than that. But pre-booked, I'm sure there's alternatives to fish.

A part of the trip, mebbe 45 minutes?, is across the open bay before weaving amongst those limestone islets. That's why folk recommend against a 2-hour cruise.

3.5 hours hardly does the trip justice, it needs a trip of around 6 oto 8 hours to lose yourselves in the quiet, mysterious and isolated atmosphere amongs the karsts

Although your ship will probably be moored offshore the ship's offerings will probably leave from a pontoon moored alongside, whereas a private hiring will probably mean ship's tender to the pier - but a small sacrifice.

And although I mentioned that the junk won't be jam-packed the trips offered through the ship will doubtless aim to fill every seat in the saloon.

If private/ship's excursion are around the same price, no contest.

Beyond that it's the money vs the experience.

As I mentioned, we negotiated a junk at the pier. Standard as opposed to "luxury", & no food/drink included. The cruise-ship would have fitted about 30 pax on a junk of that size, we were a group of 8 (4 couples who met on the ship), the junk was for us alone, and it cost us just $10 - $15 each for a 6 hour cruise.

But I can understand those willing to pay a great deal more for the reassurance of a pre-booking.

Try to avoid pre-payment. But if you have to, pay only by credit card.

Hope this helps

JB :)

Thank you, John. Your advice does help. It is good to know we probably won't be exposed to long periods of hot sun. I have read mixed reviews on the caves. We will remain open to just enjoying the day. I appreciate your input, John.

Hi Maggie,

Where are the reviews on the caves. I am undecided about that even though I know that Beauford will go in the caves. On Holland America it says that the steps are very uneven. My biggest concern is that it is dark and I have a problem seeing clearly under those circumstances.

Sylvia

Hi Maggie,

Where are the reviews on the caves. I am undecided about that even though I know that Beauford will go in the caves. On Holland America it says that the steps are very uneven. My biggest concern is that it is dark and I have a problem seeing clearly under those circumstances.

Sylvia

Hi, Sylvia. I believe I read the reviews of some of the caves on Tripadvisor in regard to Halong Bay. We will keep an open mind on the caves, and we know we will enjoy Halong Bay.

Archived