Allocated L106 on Azura -- worried :(

egeller624

Last week I booked A205 14nt Caribbean cruise on Azura on 2nd March. We had booked a guarantee AD suite and I have been checking constantly to see what cabin we would be allocated. As of this morning it is showing L106, which isn't exactly what I had hoped for. All the reviews I have read about this cabin have been negative and I'm very worried.

Can anyone offer some positives? I would be very disappointed if the balcony was unusable as I was really looking forward to laying out and possibly having breakfast out there. But will it be too windy? Is it too narrow?

Went to the travel agent to see if there is anything we can do but as it is a guarantee booking they can't change cabins. We had also declined the auto-upgrade option for fear they would stick us in an AC suite on Riviera deck underneath the pools (had read many negative reviews about these suites). But would it be worth having them change the auto-upgrade setting on our booking so we would accept an upgrade and take our chances?

The only thing the TA recommended was to wait until check-in and ask if there is another AD suite available. I would think that would be highly unlikely for a Caribbean cruise (which I would expect to be pretty full during March), especially if they upgraded people from balcony or outside cabins to fill the suites.

Any suggestions or anyone who has some positive comments about this suite?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Sorry but I cannot offer any help, but I wish it was me in the Valetta suite and not next to the boiler room where we are, I would not complain at the wind at least you will be able to see where you are going at the front of the ship and it is not in the shade.

I am personally more concerned about having to fly with Thomas Cook :((we did not know when we booked it), I presume you are flying with Thompson on the 2nd.

Enjoy

Regards

James:)

James,

Next to the boiler?? Eeek... ok, that puts things in perspective for me.

We are flying Thomas Cook as well. It should be an adventure lol. I don't particularly like long flights but as long as there are free drinks then it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks,

Erica

Hi, I too am sorry I can't offer any experience of this suite but I've done an extensive search on the net and found no real complaints other than one on Princess: (same ship style) the wind issue.

I guess if you're sailing the Caribbean, the islands are close together and you won't be going at ramming speed ;) so it shouldn't affect you too much. I like the look of the layout. The only things it doesn't have are a whirlpool bath and a separate dressing area, if they are important to you? We used Lido corridor to get back to our cabin below and I thought it was lovely and quiet on there. Was it a good offer?

We've just had a forward cabin on R deck on Azura - R222 and it was perfect. We could see straight into the bridge which was very interesting when we were docking port side. No wind issues being so far forward, though I realise L106 is right at the very front.

Let us know what you decide and please report back on the cabin :)

Hi there,

Sorry but I cannot offer any help, but I wish it was me in the Valetta suite and not next to the boiler room where we are, I would not complain at the wind at least you will be able to see where you are going at the front of the ship and it is not in the shade.

I am personally more concerned about having to fly with Thomas Cook :((we did not know when we booked it), I presume you are flying with Thompson on the 2nd.

Enjoy

Regards

Hi James, we flew back from Barbados with Thomas Cook on Saturday and I must say I was quite impressed. It was fairly comfortable and roomy and although the meal was nothing to write home about (are they ever?) the service was fine, with free bar service. It was 3x3x3 configuration and the toilets (4 I think) were downstairs.

The only complaint was that the meal service was around 3 hours into the flight, so make sure you have a snack before boarding. ;)

The entertainment system was a bit iffy and unresponsive with the touch screen; not sure if that was just mine, but I managed to watch a film or 2.

u2cruiser,

That's a good point about the wind. A lot of the complaints I found were transatlantic cruises or bad weather. I'm going to try to ignore the negatives. I am still very excited about the cruise and all the lovely places we are going.

We did get a good deal (or at least I think so anyway). I've been on 3 cruises before, 2 with Celebrity and 1 with RCCI and all of them have been regular balcony staterooms. The deal we got on the suite with flight included was cheaper than we have paid on Celebrity for just the stateroom without the flight so we were quite happy with that.

Like you said, the only real difference with this suite over the others is the lack of whirlpool bath and no separate dressing area. Neither of those things bother me at all. I doubt I would have used the whirlpool tub anyway and I have no idea what a separate dressing area would look like if I saw one LOL. I just dress wherever I feel like :p

Thanks.

u2cruiser,

That's a good point about the wind. A lot of the complaints I found were transatlantic cruises or bad weather. I'm going to try to ignore the negatives. I am still very excited about the cruise and all the lovely places we are going.

We did get a good deal (or at least I think so anyway). I've been on 3 cruises before, 2 with Celebrity and 1 with RCCI and all of them have been regular balcony staterooms. The deal we got on the suite with flight included was cheaper than we have paid on Celebrity for just the stateroom without the flight so we were quite happy with that.

Like you said, the only real difference with this suite over the others is the lack of whirlpool bath and no separate dressing area. Neither of those things bother me at all. I doubt I would have used the whirlpool tub anyway and I have no idea what a separate dressing area would look like if I saw one LOL. I just dress wherever I feel like :p

Thanks.

You will have lots of time in port to enjoy your balcony, and what a great view. Good deal too, so it's worth a go, unless anyone comes on here who has stayed in the cabin and advises you to move.

Please come back and let us know. :)

Hi Erica,

They have placed my wife and I on E deck so I will not be firing the boilers up but directly over the Manhatten (think will go to the second shows) I should have not been so tight or booked at the last minute to get a better grade of cabin (maybe), as with regards to the flight I am a big chap so the flight has concerned me but 2cruiser has said he thought it was ok when he returned.

It was nice to see that you had some constuctive feedback with regards to the suite.

Regards

Hi James, we flew back from Barbados with Thomas Cook on Saturday and I must say I was quite impressed. It was fairly comfortable and roomy and although the meal was nothing to write home about (are they ever?) the service was fine, with free bar service. It was 3x3x3 configuration and the toilets (4 I think) were downstairs.

The only complaint was that the meal service was around 3 hours into the flight, so make sure you have a snack before boarding. ;)

The entertainment system was a bit iffy and unresponsive with the touch screen; not sure if that was just mine, but I managed to watch a film or 2.

Hi u2cruiser

I am a little confused with regards to the toilets being downstairs were you on a 747 or A380 aircraft and i'm not being sarcastic silly things do happen with regards to changing aircraft.

Regards

James

James,

Not sure about the toilets but I think long haul Thomas Cook uses the A330. Found the seatmap here http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Thomas-Cook-Airlines/seatplans/A330-200-20

If you are concerned about space, you could try to book one of the 2-seat bits near the back. Think there is an extra cost for this but not sure how much. Maybe u2cruiser can help.

Have searched for reviews of cabins over the Manhattan but cant seem to find anything difinitive. Should be ok though. To be honest, on my past cruises I hardly remember the cabins. Spent most of the time up on deck, exploring the ship, or exploring whatever port we happened to be in. Only reason we ended up in a suite this time was because all the balcony cabins were sold out and it was a good deal. Maybe a bit of an impulse buy too! At any rate, less spent on the cabin = more £ for drinks and excursions :)

Erica

Hi u2cruiser

I am a little confused with regards to the toilets being downstairs were you on a 747 or A380 aircraft and i'm not being sarcastic silly things do happen with regards to changing aircraft.

Regards

James

Hi James,

I think my husband said it was an A330. It certainly wasn't a jumbo. In all our travels I've never been on a plane with the toilets downstairs. It was much better than queueing in the aisles and good for a little walk too.

We are both fairly small and I did notice how uncomfortable the guy across the aisle from me was in his seat. It was barely wide or deep enough for him. I noticed that a few rows behind us at the back the aisle widened out as there were only 2 seats. I didn't notice they were wider, but maybe they are?

If you still remain uncertain about your stateroom, you can phone PO direct and ask if there is something else available at the same grade in a better position. I got a guaranteed cabin under a nightclub on one voyage, researched what was still available and then asked politely if it would be possible to move to that cabin as I have trouble sleeping. The girl was very helpful and did it without any problem

We too have been upgraded to a balcony on Lido deck on Azura from a balcony on C deck. What are advantages and disadvantages of balconies on Lido deck?

We have flown everytime on Thomas Cook and been very pleased. Plenty of room and on 2 occasions have had toilets downstairs with a sitting area to wait until toilets were free - very civilised! Think it was an Airbus A330.

Interesting to note that while we were walking to get on our plane the Thompson flight people were delayed and I heard someone say - its always the same with Thompson!

Also they must use smaller planes, as when we flew back from Acapulco one year, we flew straight back with Thomas Cook and the Thompson people had to refuel in US and so needed an Esta to travel, which ofcourse you have to pay for now.

We always check with our TA that its a Thomas Cook flight and not a Thompsons!

Thanks for all the sound information I have received, I will give P & O a ring to see it it could be changed, I did think it was the showroom we were above but on looking at the Azure plan it's the late night dancing/live bands lounge, I am happier with regards to the flight after comments made.

Regards

James

It depends on where you are on E deck. If you are starboard you won't hear anything from the Manhatten, only a few portside cabins are affected.

We have always flown with Thomson and have never had a delay but have heard loads of Thomas Cook planes delayed forcing an overnight stay at the airport.

Guess what, we are in the middle in an inside cabin, gave P & O a call to see if we could change cabin but no one in that department available today so will try tomorrow, if not will have to stay up and boogie with the rest of them :eek:, on the flight front noticed that Thomas Cook still have premium economy seating (thanks Egeller624), I heard that they had finished with those seats due to high tax incurred by our goverment so all sorted :D, they only had 3 going out and 5 on return.

Again thanks to everyone that has helped in my quest.

Regards

James

James,

Glad you were able to get premium economy seats sorted for the flight. Hopefully that will be much more comfy for you :) If you don't mind me asking, how much extra does Thomas Cook charge for these seats?

Fingers crossed P&O can move you to a quieter location as well.

Erica

Hi there,

The cost of return fare is £199 which you could say is not cheap but it is alot less than upgrading on Virgin Atlantic, I don't think you would get the same service though but hey we will have to see, at least the pitch will be better and wider seats I can manage without the champagne before departure.:D

I would love to change the cabin, but if it's not possible then that will be that, I was surprised at there being no balcony cabins left when you booked, I thought they could not fill the cabins with the deals on at present with all the cruise lines.

Regards

James

Yeah, I was surprised too. But what I realized later is that P&O sort of divides up the cabins between the Friday and Saturday arrivals. When I looked for 205A (Saturday arrivals), there were balcony cabins available but none for Friday arrivals. Wouldn't really have mattered that much but friends of ours were already booked for the Friday so we figured we would do the same. I wonder if they shuffle allocations between the dates if they have unbooked cabins nearer the time of sailing.

You might get lucky with the cabin. Our friends booked up an inside cabin a few months ago and were phoned up a few weeks later to be told they had been upgraded to a balcony.

Erica

I rang P&O yesterday, but no joy with changing the cabin, the young lady I spoke to (she was 17, not that I asked for the information) said that there was no availabiity in our grade to move us to, but cabins were available if I wished to upgrade (at extra cost) but I would have to do this through my TA. She also seemed to think noise would not be an issue on the Azura and said the rooms are soundproofed (fingers crossed). So if you see a very bleary eyed chap :eek: walking around the ship for the whole of the cruise, chances are it will be me after being up dancing all night, trouble is I can only Grandad dance, I am not ready for Strictly Come Dancing yet.

As you say it seems they split all cabins between both days, as I was told all cabins were still available.

Regards

James

Archived