Paper cabin labels

Essexlass2

Along with our E-tickets recently came a couple of luggage labels which we also duly printed. However, surely these things will get torn off so easily they may not even reach the airport unscathed, certainly not as far as Barbados. Anyone got any tips other than encasing them in a polythene bag or something like that?

Am I missing the obvious perhaps? :confused:

I had to use the self print paper ones on my last cruise as we had a last minute upgrade. After folding I just ran some Sellotape around all the edges. They survived getting on and off the ship with no problem.

Brian

I am sorry, but this really annoys me:mad:.

Cruising is a VERY expensive holiday - some upgrades cost more than some people pay for a weeks holiday in Spain (£200-400) and yet we have to make do with A4 paper labels for our luggage full of expensive cruise clothes including mens suits, and ladies gowns.... It is stupid, and all to save a few pennies FOR P&O !!! We have to print the labels off using our printer ink, get them laminated if worried about them coming off at our expense..I ask you how much does it cost to sent the labels we used to have (and still get if you didn't press go-green or book late) PENNIES.

I did a late booking last year, and we lost a case , I stapled the label around handle - on the usual ones you thread through itself. After sail-away when we realised the case wasn't coming to the cabin and we were getting anxious, hubbie went walkabout looking for it, - at Reception were a huge pile of cases with no labels waiting to be claimed. So it is not rare to loose a label.

Now I laminate, sellotape laminated label securly and also most importantly add my own luggage label to each cae with cabin number and cruise number on it.

Also in the baggage hall at the end of the cruise another label was missing off another item of our luggage even after securing it well, luckily we still had my leather tags on...but it proves again that these labels are not very robust.

I am sorry, but this really annoys me:mad:.

Cruising is a VERY expensive holiday - some upgrades cost more than some people pay for a weeks holiday in Spain (£200-400) and yet we have to make do with A4 paper labels for our luggage full of expensive cruise clothes including mens suits, and ladies gowns.... It is stupid, and all to save a few pennies FOR P&O !!! We have to print the labels off using our printer ink, get them laminated if worried about them coming off at our expense..I ask you how much does it cost to sent the labels we used to have (and still get if you didn't press go-green or book late) PENNIES.

I did a late booking last year, and we lost a case , I stapled the label around handle - on the usual ones you thread through itself. After sail-away when we realised the case wasn't coming to the cabin and we were getting anxious, hubbie went walkabout looking for it, - at Reception were a huge pile of cases with no labels waiting to be claimed. So it is not rare to loose a label.

Now I laminate, sellotape laminated label securly and also most importantly add my own luggage label to each cae with cabin number and cruise number on it.

Also in the baggage hall at the end of the cruise another label was missing off another item of our luggage even after securing it well, luckily we still had my leather tags on...but it proves again that these labels are not very robust.

This made me smile LibraLass. I totally agree with you.

Is it time for a glass of wine :D

Along with our E-tickets recently came a couple of luggage labels which we also duly printed. However, surely these things will get torn off so easily they may not even reach the airport unscathed, certainly not as far as Barbados. Anyone got any tips other than encasing them in a polythene bag or something like that?

Am I missing the obvious perhaps? :confused:

Hi, We are on the same cruise as you. If you look at the back of the excursion book(The holiday information book personalised to yourself your luggage lables are printed at the back) however if you opted to press the GO GREEN button on P&O,website then you will not receive it.This can easily be done by accident. Hope this helps.

Another thing that we always do is place an A4 piece of paper with our name, cruise ship and dates along with the cabin number on top of the last item in the case.

This way if it does go missing or the label comes off as soon as they open it the details are easily available for them to forward it to you.

Some years ago Val bought a couple of 'name-emboidered' luggage straps for each of us, and we use these on our bags, even when cruising from Southampton. It doesn't really solve the flimsy tag problem, but it does mean that if you end up looking for your bag in a mountain of luggage, it's easier to find.

Val has just said that she thinks she got them from a company called 'Able Labels', and a quick Google reveals that their website is http://www.able-labels.co.uk .

:)

Hi, We are on the same cruise as you. If you look at the back of the excursion book(The holiday information book personalised to yourself your luggage lables are printed at the back) however if you opted to press the GO GREEN button on P&O,website then you will not receive it.This can easily be done by accident. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

We already have the personalised straps that we always use on our luggage so that's something at least, but of course they don't give information relevant to a cruise.

As far as I am aware, we didn't opt to Go Green but we haven't received a personalised booklet either. Maybe I will look further into that.

Cheapskate P&O methinks, hope that trend doesn't continue! :eek:

:)

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

We already have the personalised straps that we always use on our luggage so that's something at least, but of course they don't give information relevant to a cruise.

As far as I am aware, we didn't opt to Go Green but we haven't received a personalised booklet either. Maybe I will look further into that.

Cheapskate P&O methinks, hope that trend doesn't continue! :eek:

Some people on our roll call had inadvertantly opted for Go Green. I think it shows on your personaliser somewhere.

The booklet is good as it has all the tours in for your cruise, which gives you ideas what to do at each port: either ship's tours or DIY. I know you can read it online, but the booklet is nice to browse. We received ours around 4/5 weeks before the cruise.

Some people on our roll call had inadvertantly opted for Go Green. I think it shows on your personaliser somewhere.

The booklet is good as it has all the tours in for your cruise, which gives you ideas what to do at each port: either ship's tours or DIY. I know you can read it online, but the booklet is nice to browse. We received ours around 4/5 weeks before the cruise.

Yep and tells you how many formal/smart casual etc nights you have .

When you enter your passport details after your book , online, (i have just done it a few days ago for my May12 cruise). There is a Green tab button on the lower left of the screen on your personliser, where it says add insurance details/passport details etc, IGNORE this and carry entering info needed before you cruise. IF you press that button you won't get the tour booklet or luggage labels and will be expected to download this info off your computer and you print out the info if you want a hard copy not them (thus saving them money in printing costs under the label 'go green':rolleyes:)

We haven't opted to "Go Green" but hadn't received anything for our next cruise in 4 weeks' time (whereas in the past we had always received an excursion brochure and labels by now).

I telephoned P&O and they advised that because of the relative lateness of our booking (September 2011) and the fact that it was a heavily discounted price meant that we would have to print our own tickets and labels.

We've laminated the paper labels and I'm going to try to attach them to the suitcase handles with cable ties. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Damian

We haven't opted to "Go Green" but hadn't received anything for our next cruise in 4 weeks' time (whereas in the past we had always received an excursion brochure and labels by now).

I telephoned P&O and they advised that because of the relative lateness of our booking (September 2011) and the fact that it was a heavily discounted price meant that we would have to print our own tickets and labels.

We've laminated the paper labels and I'm going to try to attach them to the suitcase handles with cable ties. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Damian

Yes, if you booked in September for a cruise in Dec that would be classed as a late booking. Like mine was....remember to make sure every case has you own luggage tag on as well with cabin & deck number on it..I just put a white sticker on each of my luggage tags, and peeled off when get home.

Yes, if you booked in September for a cruise in Dec that would be classed as a late booking. Like mine was....remember to make sure every case has you own luggage tag on as well with cabin & deck number on it..I just put a white sticker on each of my luggage tags, and peeled off when get home.

We are having our paper labels laminated, will also put tie-on labels on showing cabin details, etc as well as the leather labels containing our name and address.

We booked the cruise back in April, just over 8 months prior to departure, and the TA has told me today that we didn't get the booklet because we booked on a good deal so early.

Cheapskate P&O! :(

That is certainly not true. I booked through an agent in May this year for a cruise in July and another in August and received the book with labels on both occasions.

It would in MHO be a case of the agent not carrying out the correct procedure. P&O will always send the book if you have not ticked the go green option.

We are having our paper labels laminated, will also put tie-on labels on showing cabin details, etc as well as the leather labels containing our name and address.

We booked the cruise back in April, just over 8 months prior to departure, and the TA has told me today that we didn't get the booklet because we booked on a good deal so early.

Cheapskate P&O! :(

Essexlass2

we only booked in late september for the same cruise as you, we got the booklet! - bit irrelevant now as we have been upgraded so have to use the paper labels, done this before, and if you use enough sellotape, you will be fine.:rolleyes:

Archived