Taxi wait in Brooklyn

kinshasa

We disembarked at 8:15 a.m. last Thursday and had a 1:34 p.m. flight from JFK. We knew the taxi line would be long, but really????? The NY Port Authority officers efficiently directed everyone into two lines, one for Yellow Cabs and the other for sedans. Unfortunately Yellow Cabs came along every fifteen minutes or so. We waited about 45 minutes then gave up and took the sedan to JFK ($70).

A few years ago we took the QM2 eastbound and remarked at the long taxi wait for disembarking passengers, but I thought it was due to the time of day, about noon. I think the worst part of waiting was listening to the recorded announcement non-stop, informing us that Yellow Cabs were not plentiful during rush hour. Our sedan driver told us that cabs don't want to come to Brooklyn as there are usually no passengers in that direction.

Next time we are going to arrange a car pickup service.

Unfortunately it is true the Yellow Cabs do not want to go to Red Hook.

I was warned by a New Yorker, not to say I wanted to go there until after I was seated in the cab, apparently it is legal for them to say they do not go there if you are still standing outside the cab, but once you sit down they have to fulfil the trip.

On our eastbound trip a few years ago, we landed at JFK around 8 a.m. and had arranged a car service to meet us and drive us to the Queens cemetery where my grandparents are buried. So a cab to Red Hook was not an issue.

I imagine a sedan to JFK is cheaper than paying for two passengers on a Cunard bus to JFK. We took the Megatrain from London to Southampton for just a few pounds so when you average the cost it sounds reasonable.

Archived