Kayaking in Ketchikan

Mare10

My friend and I are getting our excursions lined up for our cruise to Alaska and are wondering if anyone has done the kayaking in Ketchikan. Having never done kayaking before I'm looking for some opinions! Is it worth doing and good for a novice to try????

Thanks for any advice!

Marilyn :)

MY DW and I are both seniors and when we went to Alaska, we also tried the kayaking in Ketchikan. It was our first time kayaking and we loved it. We went out late morning and came back mid afternoon, and the wind had picked up over the bay. We were paddling so hard and not going anywhere and the guide had to come out and basically tow us in. Very embarrassing, but we paddled in the last 100 yards or so. that said, we laugh about it now and we wouldn't trade that experience for anything. :D:D:D:D:DWe are so glad we did it and would do it again if we had the chance.

Go for it.

Cheers

Len

My friend and I are getting our excursions lined up for our cruise to Alaska and are wondering if anyone has done the kayaking in Ketchikan. Having never done kayaking before I'm looking for some opinions! Is it worth doing and good for a novice to try????

Thanks for any advice!

Marilyn

We are experienced kayakers for whitewater and pond/lake but had never been in a sea kayak dealing with tides, etc. Others in our group had never even sat in one. We all did just fine and were well taken care of by our guide. We saw some awesome sea life (starfish and anemone) bizarre gourdlike seaweed, jumping silver salmon(last week in July), an eagle nest and a flyover by an eagle, and just peaceful, grand scenery. The group size was limited to six paddlers, and it was worth it to us. Even the boat ride out to the kayak station was an enjoyable part of the tour.

DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0369%252520fixed.jpg

DSC_0378.JPG

DSC_0379%252520fixed.jpg

DSC_0389.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

You'll have to decide for yourself the worth of the trip to you. Don't let the fact you haven't kayaked before though be your determining factor though.

For me, I think that kayaking around the channel of Ketchikan would be less peaceful, and could have more traffic and influence of the tide on your paddling. I personally didn't want to be in the channel where the floatplanes, and other boats would be.

Our only regret was that silly hubby left the underwater camera(that I got him for this excursion) on the shuttle boat, duh!! which left me with just my very precious Nikon to use.

Thanks for the responses! I think we will seriously consider this excursion. My DH and I went to Alaska this past June and I had to be talked into the float plane tour.... ended up being my favorite excursion of the trip! Once again I'm a bit hesitant about the kayaking but it sounds like it might be a really fun thing to do!

Marilyn

• 2 months later...

Hey loved all of the comments on the kayaking in Alaska. Looking forward to taking the tour in May rain or shine with a waterproof cheap camera. I have rafted many rivers in cold rainy weather and class 4-5 rapids. Just wondering if this was a good example to the kayaking in Alaska in rain and cool weather.

I want to book it ahead of time and go by myself and send my husband to another tour with the family. I am so wanting some alone time with a few people and nature and to see cool crisp clean water.

I have a feeling my husband will try to talk me out of it!

Thank you for all of your posts. Earlier this week we decided to book a kayak excursion in Ketchikan, and we have been reconsidering our decision ever since, especially this morning. Then I read all your comments and feel much better about it. The only problem is that we had to book an afternoon excursion, because we don't get in early enough for their morning one.

I have kayaked a few times out of Juneau and Ketchikan. For me, being "picky", I now will pick up a trip the day I'm there, as it is miserable to kayak in the rain. :) If you are one or two people, there likely will be open space. Key is to get an early start and book the tour as soon as you get into Ketchikan.

Know the differences in the kayak tours as well, routes.

Thanks for any advice!

As someone said earlier, the weather and seas in Ketchikan are unpredictable. The day we were in port the weather was rainy and the seas were quite rough outside the immediate port area. That being said, it would be a chance of a lifetime and I would take it.

I have kayaked a few times out of Juneau and Ketchikan. For me, being "picky", I now will pick up a trip the day I'm there, as it is miserable to kayak in the rain. :) If you are one or two people, there likely will be open space. Key is to get an early start and book the tour as soon as you get into Ketchikan.

Know the differences in the kayak tours as well, routes.

Which tour companies do you look for? Which routes do you suggest for novices? (I've kayaked once in Maine; my husband not at all.)

We booked our tour through Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan. After reading reviews and posts here we chose that company. The pictures posted on this thread have me really looking forward to this. Here's hoping we have decent weather but it will be an adventure for sure!

For a first time kayaker I don't really even know what to ask. Were you happy with that particular tour? I've heard it's easy for first timers.... is that true? Would you suggest the front seat or the one behind?

Thanks!

For a first time kayaker I don't really even know what to ask. Were you happy with that particular tour? I've heard it's easy for first timers.... is that true? Would you suggest the front seat or the one behind?

Thanks!

We were very happy with the 4 hour Orcas Cove tour, but we were fortunate to have excellent weather. Yes; it's easy for first timers. The stronger paddler sits in the rear. Have a great time!

Archived