Collecting Local Currency

Anybody else collect local currency in each port? I always try to, but it's surprising what a challenge that can be. I generally approach the quest like it's a relatively easy objective, but it doesn't seem to turn out that way.

At the top of my list is always some local currency followed by a Christmas ornament from each country we visit. :)

My df has collected different currency as long as I can remember. So on our last cruise we tried to get different currency for him. The only problem we had was we weren't always sure if we were getting the correct change back after purchasing items. ;) I'm sure we did but it did cross our minds in a few of the shops. We then made the change into a xmas gift for my df. He really liked it. So hunting down the places to get it made it worthwhile. :D

My df has collected different currency as long as I can remember. So on our last cruise we tried to get different currency for him. The only problem we had was we weren't always sure if we were getting the correct change back after purchasing items. ;) I'm sure we did but it did cross our minds in a few of the shops. We then made the change into a xmas gift for my df. He really liked it. So hunting down the places to get it made it worthwhile. :D

I figure it's a souvenir, so if I'm not getting the correct exchange rate, it's a non-issue. I am amazed at the number of times I've gotten sent away by shop keepers who insist they don't have any local currency. The most memorable of these was the woman who didn't have any for me, but when my DD made a purchase and requested her change in local currency, the woman produced a dish from under the counter with some of the most intriguing local coins. I prompty found something to buy and got some too, but my DD had first picks and she wasn't about to part with them. I especially wanted that square coin.

I figure it's a souvenir, so if I'm not getting the correct exchange rate, it's a non-issue. I am amazed at the number of times I've gotten sent away by shop keepers who insist they don't have any local currency. The most memorable of these was the woman who didn't have any for me, but when my DD made a purchase and requested her change in local currency, the woman produced a dish from under the counter with some of the most intriguing local coins. I prompty found something to buy and got some too, but my DD had first picks and she wasn't about to part with them. I especially wanted that square coin.

I also found it helped when I would ask them what the different coins meant. I would write it down so I wouldn't forget. I only had one place that I didn't and that was in a shop in London, it had the rudest people in it I think I'd ever met. It was also one of the dirtiest stores and yet it was supposed to be a popular place to shop. I would not recommend it to anyone. :(

Archived