singles cruises for the 28-40 age group

travelnurse

OK let’s face it; it's not nearly as hard for women to meet men. How about us guys that are nice looking (not GQ), in fairly decent shape, like to do most anything active but cant dance (even when drunk. LOL ) and are very shy? Can’t walk up to a girl and start a conversation. I do OK if I'm approached but other than that don’t have and couldn’t make up a good line to save my life.

I'm ready for a vacation and trying to decide on doing a cruise, singles cruise (suggestions on lines, groups please) or just heading down to Mexico for a couple weeks.

Girls, where are the best places to meet you on a ship and what do you want us to say/do? I know, sounds a little pathetic but I have to ask.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello~

I am happy to comment on this because I just returned from a cruise and I was disappointed that the few single men I saw made eye contact and smiled but most didn't approach. I do not really feel comfortable going up to guys and have mostly thought it was the man's job to come to me. I couldn't really figure out what was going on because I know that I am not unattractive. Your comments do shed some light on it but I really do wish they had made more of an effort. I saw one of the guys at disembarkation and he said he wanted to talk to me the entire cruise. It would have been a lot more fun if he had.

I think saying something as benign as "How is your cruise going?" or "Is this your first cruise?" would work fine. While it is always a risk to approach someone, if there is no chemistry just have an exit strategy in mind and politely excuse yourself. In my experience though, unless the guy has no social skills at all, I would nearly always prefer to hang out with someone as opposed to no one. If there is no love connection at least you have friendly conversation.

I am recently divorced and definitely out of practice so maybe as I become more comfortable I will have more confidence to make the "initial approach".

BTW, I met most of the guys at the disco or the disco bar. There is usually seating there even if you don't want to dance. I don't think you sound pathetic -- it is a valid question but I hope you and other guys will go out on a limb more.

You can check my prior posts for another thread that talks about single cruises, lines, etc.

Take care!

Angela

Angela,

I too am single and going on my first cruise on 1/28/06 (RCL). I am going with a couple who are good friends of mine so I am grateful for having some expereinced cruisers with me. I signed up for the Mix-&-Mingle for this cruise, but it has had a very light turnout so far. I guess I too am hoping that I can relatively easily find some sigles on my cruise. Either way I am looking forward to the experience!

Michael

Hi Michael~

I am sure you will have a fabulous time on RCL. I haven't cruised with them yet but I have only heard good things. It can become addicting so watch out! I think RCL attracts a somewhat younger crowd and there should be fewer families since it is just after the holidays. Which ports are you visiting?

Have a great trip!

Angela

Angela,

It is the Eastern Caribbean run and has the following itinerary:

Date

Port

Arrive

Depart

Activity

28-Jan

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

5:00 PM

Boarding

29-Jan

At Sea

30-Jan

San Juan, Puerto Rico

2:00 PM

8:00 PM

Docked

31-Jan

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

9:00 AM

6:00 PM

Docked

01-Feb

St. Johns, Antigua

8:00 AM

Docked

02-Feb

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

8:00 AM

Docked

03-Feb

At Sea

04-Feb

Nassau, Bahamas

12:00 PM

6:00 PM

Docked

05-Feb

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

8:30 AM

Departure

I have not been to any of these locales, so I am hoping to see what fun situations I can get into :D

Michael

• 5 months later...

If you don't want a party ship, stay away from short 3-4 day cruises on Carnival or for that matter RCCL. I have found the longer 7 day carnival cruises to not have nearly as many wild things going on. Just my opinion though. Basically, the shorter the cruise the more likely you will encounter a lot of partiers.

Hi,

My buddy and I are hoping we are not the only singles going on this cruise. I am dragging him along since this will be his first birthday alone since his divorce. Hoping to just have a good time and meet a lot of people. Anyway just thought I woud say hi.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello~

I am happy to comment on this because I just returned from a cruise and I was disappointed that the few single men I saw made eye contact and smiled but most didn't approach. I do not really feel comfortable going up to guys and have mostly thought it was the man's job to come to me. I couldn't really figure out what was going on because I know that I am not unattractive. Your comments do shed some light on it but I really do wish they had made more of an effort. I saw one of the guys at disembarkation and he said he wanted to talk to me the entire cruise. It would have been a lot more fun if he had.

I think saying something as benign as "How is your cruise going?" or "Is this your first cruise?" would work fine. While it is always a risk to approach someone, if there is no chemistry just have an exit strategy in mind and politely excuse yourself. In my experience though, unless the guy has no social skills at all, I would nearly always prefer to hang out with someone as opposed to no one. If there is no love connection at least you have friendly conversation.

I am recently divorced and definitely out of practice so maybe as I become more comfortable I will have more confidence to make the "initial approach".

BTW, I met most of the guys at the disco or the disco bar. There is usually seating there even if you don't want to dance. I don't think you sound pathetic -- it is a valid question but I hope you and other guys will go out on a limb more.

You can check my prior posts for another thread that talks about single cruises, lines, etc.

Take care!

Angela

I would agree with this and the poster you are referring to. For one, I am like him... more reserved, but interested. I just have to really work at getting up to go try talking to someone...:)

I can say though that my last cruise I have to thank the woman who after all the eye contact, and me being "glued" to my seat, did the bold thing and came over and talked to me. We had a great couple of days to talk and laugh. I only regretted it taking till there were only a few nights left for me to "be bold". Funny thing was, I had seen her a few days earlier, but not gotten up the nerve.

So, I would say... make the effort. What can it hurt? So she says not interested or the conversation goes nowhere... you just move on. No harm done. If it goes well, you have just met an interesting person.

As for places to meet... don't forget the piano bar, if your ship has one. I met many folks in there...:D

Archived