Timing of 2 excursions (white pass train)

Bekkiz

My DH really wants to do the White Pass train up, bike down, where I would prefer to do the roundtrip on the train.

Through RCCL the R/T train leaves at 12:50, where the train/bike leaves at 12:30. Looking at the schedule on http://www.wpyr.com/, the departure that day is at 12:45.

Is it possible there are 2 trains leaving around that same time? If I book myself for the r/t and DH for the bike, is it very likely that we'd be on the same train?

thanks in advance!

What a bummer. Is the only way to make sure we're on the same train is to book the same excursion? I could do the bike down, but it seems scary and I don't really like to go very fast:( This is the only thing DH really wants to do.

I consider that bike ride to be the most dangerous excursion in Alaska and would liketo see it banned before someone gets killed. That narrow, steep, winding mountain road is barely wide enough for the semi-trailers and busses that use it. Traffic isn't heavy, but all it takes is one inexperienced RV driver to burn his brakes out, and there is going to be a fatalty (or several) - and all the new "Share the Road" signs won't help a bit. Other people disagree, but I drive that road at least 30 times a year, 1/3 of those trips driving a motorcoach.

Murray

Most WP&YR locomotives are diesel, the exception being some ship shuttles (they switch to diesel a mile out), and the 8.5-hour Saturday-only trip to Bennett. They have 1 operational steamer right now (#73) but another will be arriving in June (#69) to work charters and the new Carcross run which starts in 2006.

Murray

Archived