Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

Not a big fan of the new cabin carpet pattern. I'm wondering if Cunard got some kind of discount for a pattern that no one else wanted? I'll wait until I see a completely finished cabin before I make final judgement.

My last cruise was on CARNIVAL MIRACLE, and the carpet in the cabin was far more refined looking.

QM2 is one of my all time favorite ships. She is a special lady. I hate to see crappy things done to her. She deserves better.

Ernie

The carpet design is pretty 'special'. If someone does have any pictures of what's happening in the Grill suites I'd really appreciate it.

And by "what's happening" I refer to the refit - just in case anyone was going to get smart. :)

Cue the CCTV in the Frill Suites....

New chairs for commodore club have arrived

Rob,

I hope you're booked for the first cruise after the refit's complete. We want loads of photos of all this stuff once they've laid it, unwrapped it, glued it down, nailed it up, and painted it to match the carpets! :D:D

J

Rob,

I hope you're booked for the first cruise after the refit's complete. We want loads of photos of all this stuff once they've laid it, unwrapped it, glued it down, nailed it up, and painted it to match the carpets! :D:D

J

Sadly no, not till June now, I am off to other side of the world for a month soon and different line lol

Do we have anyone traveling on the QM2 first thing after refit willing to photograph and post all the changes for us!?!

Cheers

Will be onboard on the 8th for 11 days - will get photos and post them (may have to wait to post them on the web unless they speed up the internet during the refit)

Are you all putting down and snubbing this wonderful wiggly carpeting because you just can't stand the glare of its notabilty? To consistently do so can only restrict us to a world of grey and beige decor, to miles and miles of drab, mediocre upholstery... If we constantly discourage the non-mundane, then mundane is what we'll have.

Ok, this carpet is not the best example...I wonder why they don't hire a really talented interior designer. :rolleyes:

Are you all putting down and snubbing this wonderful wiggly carpeting because you just can't stand the glare of its notabilty? To consistently do so can only restrict us to a world of grey and beige decor, to miles and miles of drab, mediocre upholstery... If we constantly discourage the non-mundane, then mundane is what we'll have.

Ok, this carpet is not the best example...I wonder why they don't hire a really talented interior designer. :rolleyes:

Might that be an oxymoron?

Good points! Yes decor can be exciting and in good taste. Just take one look at the Solstice Class ships of Celebrity. There is nothing "faux" about them and no pretense, yet the decor is stunning.

Ernie

Good points! Yes decor can be exciting and in good taste. Just take one look at the Solstice Class ships of Celebrity. There is nothing "faux" about them and no pretense, yet the decor is stunning.

Ernie

"Faux" and pretense are in the eye of the beholder. A decor is not pretending to be anything; just is what it is. Someone may decide it is pretentious, but that is based on subjective prejudice. Pretentiousness is actually pretending to be something that you are not. A design can't pretend to be what it is not. It is all completely subjective. The judgment is based on a few exterior details that irrationally remind one of something they think of as stuffy.

It reminds me of NYC where it seems that the addition or subtraction of just one item of clothing can completely change how people treat you...I dress therefore I am. If I wear a certain hat, somehow it comes across as too stuffy for some reason; next day in jeans, I'm treated very differently, etc. Drives me nuts, but that's what we women deal with...anyway, I'm severely digressing...:rolleyes:

Personally I am not so worried about the carpet.... I am more concerned with the rest of the ship looking and feeling comfortable. Design is never going to please everyone and really its only carpet. My bed, etc I am more concerned about.

What can I say " I am happy that I can do what I do " so unless its vulgar then I am happy - its more up to me how I feel :D

"Faux" and pretense are in the eye of the beholder. A decor is not pretending to be anything; just is what it is. Someone may decide it is pretentious, but that is based on subjective prejudice. Pretentiousness is actually pretending to be something that you are not. A design can't pretend to be what it is not. It is all completely subjective. The judgment is based on a few exterior details that irrationally remind one of something they think of as stuffy.

It reminds me of NYC where it seems that the addition or subtraction of just one item of clothing can completely change how people treat you...I dress therefore I am. If I wear a certain hat, somehow it comes across as too stuffy for some reason; next day in jeans, I'm treated very differently, etc. Drives me nuts, but that's what we women deal with...anyway, I'm severely digressing...:rolleyes:

Yes well pretty much everything concerning the cruise experience (decor, entertainment, food, etc) is subjective isn't it? Anyway what we do here on CC is share opinions, and personally I feel that some decor can appear pretentious or at least try to be. While the terminology may not be correct, I think people probably understand what I was getting at.

Anyway thanks for the lesson. :rolleyes:

Ernie

I dont think I have ever seen a Talented interior designer:D,, Just Interior designers

never mind the carpets, they are only for walking on! and cabin decor is less important than comfort and ameneties.

BUT what have they done to the "English" pub? the blog says American Club feel, why? ( surely this feel would be better suited to the Commodore Club) don't Americans like pubs, surely they are on the QM because of her English heritage, so why totally destroy the Golden Lion.

It is now much too far up market, the snob screens mean you cannot survey the room for vacant seats or friends, or even people you want to avoid!

And they ruin the sight lines for the entertainment, or is the Kareoke being abandoned, the machine seems to have gone, not my cup of tea, but enjoyed by many.

On busy nights you won't be able to pass aft between the bar and the tables.

Does the TV screen at the aft end mean the dart boards have also gone?

And the dance floor also seems to have gone.

Hope they don't do the same on the QV.

Who did they take advice from?

Yes well pretty much everything concerning the cruise experience (decor, entertainment, food, etc) is subjective isn't it? Anyway what we do here on CC is share opinions, and personally I feel that some decor can appear pretentious or at least try to be. While the terminology may not be correct, I think people probably understand what I was getting at.

Anyway thanks for the lesson. :rolleyes:

Ernie

So sorry, Ernie. I wasn't meaning to be nit picky or critical, even though it sounded that way. I was just going off on a "philosophical" tangent...

So sorry, Ernie. I wasn't meaning to be nit picky or critical, even though it sounded that way. I was just going off on a "philosophical" tangent...

No problem. Often times what we mean to say, or the intent, doesn't come off so well on an Internet message board. I totally understand.

Ernie

Archived