Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

Any new refit pics or vids?

Nothing since 2 Dec - we were promised some 'surprises' - but have not heard any yet - I was hoping they would ditch Todd English in favour of The Verandah - after all the location actually does have a Verandah, and I've never really understood what 'Todd English' had to do with Cunard.....

Nothing since 2 Dec - we were promised some 'surprises' - but have not heard any yet - I was hoping they would ditch Todd English in favour of The Verandah - after all the location actually does have a Verandah, and I've never really understood what 'Todd English' had to do with Cunard.....

Apparently it's presence gives the US based passengers a degree of comfort as some of them are more familiar with the brand than those from other countries.

Apparently it's presence gives the US based passengers a degree of comfort as some of them are more familiar with the brand than those from other countries.

All in favour of ditching Todd for the verandah say I!.... I haha.

Im an Aussie so am i to expect a BBQ on deck to ensure my comfort? no..

Hint to Cunard, keep it traditional and above all KEEP IT BRITISH! sorry to all the yanks here, but it disappoints me to hear certain decisions are made to "keep Americans happy..." they do understand that they are boarding a british ship, and im sure they meant perfectly well to do so! if they wanted the homely feel of say vegas, well then, they basically have every single other cruise ship to choose.. leave the QM2 to what it is meant to be!

another example.. the golden lion pub now to have an american country club feel? well that makes sense.. not.

cheers!

I loved the Verandah. The food was wonderful.

I am glad we are over the new carpets. Last night they repeated the Queen Mary 2, story, on TV and I noticed that some of the carpet was not what I thought was a good choice. However I never noticed on the cruise as I was too busy enjoying myself...

Often businesses make decisions based on what they think another culture might like but sometimes these are way off base. I would have thought that Americans traveling on the Cunard line would be looking for everything British.

Often businesses make decisions based on what they think another culture might like but sometimes these are way off base. I would have thought that Americans traveling on the Cunard line would be looking for everything British.

That would make sense but strangely enough the restaurant is very popular with Americans. I've only had lunch there a few times but the food is way too rich for my tastes although they do have some really nice dishes.

All in favour of ditching Todd for the verandah say I!.... I haha.

Im an Aussie so am i to expect a BBQ on deck to ensure my comfort? no..

Hint to Cunard, keep it traditional and above all KEEP IT BRITISH! sorry to all the yanks here, but it disappoints me to hear certain decisions are made to "keep Americans happy..."

Don't blame us! To be quite frank, with our country of 50 states that spans 3000 miles wide, we've got MORE than plenty "American" things to choose from to keep us happy. I, for one, choose Cunard for my holidays BECAUSE I seek a British experience. I love my home country and am proud to be an American, but I don't see the need OR the appeal of "American-izing" everything!

Cue the "Cunard isn't British anymore" naysayers...

Thank god they have repaired the potholes under the carpet. They were an annoyance, and I was fearing it would have been structural damage, expecially on the "main road", were I stumbled earlier this year.

As for the carpets, I havent seen a proper picture of a finished cabin yet, but have to admit that like the majority here I did not like the work-in-progress-picture of this wavy zebra-look in this thread. The striped carpet in CC looks pretty nice, but as for the cabins, why did they choose a tacky, busy, cheap-looking "loud" pattern at all? I dont get it, as that somehow shouts out US Motel all over and is the opposite of what classic Britain stands for. Even a plain dark red carpet would have been nicer, why all the craze about patterns? I hope that they replaced all curtains and bedspreads to match that carpet, otherwise its a desaster.

Anyway I´m very excited to be onboard my favourite ship again next year as I am booked on part of the World cruise. Shame about the reflagging, couldnt they at least have retained the flagship of the fleet under the British registry? Thank god the beautiful red duster doesnt change, though!

That would make sense but strangely enough the restaurant is very popular with Americans. I've only had lunch there a few times but the food is way too rich for my tastes although they do have some really nice dishes.

I also found the food served at Todd English on QM2 was not to my taste. BTW, my understanding is that Todd English restaurants in the USA tend to be different speciality restaurants, most very different from the cuisine served on board. Passengers I've met on board mention eating at Todd English one or twice (obviously more often if they're eligible for the free lunch :)), so I wonder how much repeat business Todd English gets on board - either from Americans or any other nationality.

I also found the food served at Todd English on QM2 was not to my taste. BTW, my understanding is that Todd English restaurants in the USA tend to be different speciality restaurants, most very different from the cuisine served on board. Passengers I've met on board mention eating at Todd English one or twice (obviously more often if they're eligible for the free lunch :)), so I wonder how much repeat business Todd English gets on board - either from Americans or any other nationality.

My problem with the specialty restaurants (TE and the Verandah) is that I enjoy the food in the Britannia restaurants so much that the thought of missing a single dinner in there, and paying extra cash for something I might end up not enjoying, is simply anathema to me.

It's also interesting to hear the comments from US citizens about their desire to travel Cunard because of its "Britishness". Maybe I'm simply standing too close to Britain but, personally, I don't find anything particularly British about the experience. Indeed, if I felt that the whole thing were particularly British I think I would almost certainly opt to travel on another line. I can get all the Britishness I like just be staying home.

For me one of the truly wonderful things about Cunard is the enormous variety of different nationalities that one meets on board - not just the staff, but the passengers as well.

J

i dont seek them out in the states or on board

Don't blame us! To be quite frank, with our country of 50 states that spans 3000 miles wide, we've got MORE than plenty "American" things to choose from to keep us happy. I, for one, choose Cunard for my holidays BECAUSE I seek a British experience. I love my home country and am proud to be an American, but I don't see the need OR the appeal of "American-izing" everything!

Cue the "Cunard isn't British anymore" naysayers...

Clearly blaming Cunard in my post not you Americans...

Sorry you read it that way.

Cheers

It would be nice if this thread returned to the refit. Can the board members who posted pics of the ship's transit to Hamburg not post some pics as it has returned from Hamburg? It would be nice to see some photos of what has actually changed.

Mr Shanks is doing a pathetic job in not communicating with past, future and potential passengers.

Anybody have pics?

It would be nice if this thread returned to the refit. Can the board members who posted pics of the ship's transit to Hamburg not post some pics as it has returned from Hamburg? It would be nice to see some photos of what has actually changed.

Mr Shanks is doing a pathetic job in not communicating with past, future and potential passengers.

Anybody have pics?

i was just thinking this re my shanks.. the refit is over! where are the pics and second video showing the final result? HURRY UP We are cunard!!!

Partial quote

It would be nice if this thread returned to the refit...

Hi SEFlyer. There was no news or pics to post, so we drifted. Pardon the interruption...you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program

:eek:

Hello,

as written before I went to Hamburg to watch the Queen floating out of the drydock at Blohm & Voss shipyard. The floating out was cancelled due to bad weather. I uploaded a short video to give you an impression of the weather at that time. The link to that video is

Another rather long video which is not done by myself shows the conditions at noon but also the floating out at midnight.

The link to that video is

Frank

Hello,

as written before I went to Hamburg to watch the Queen floating out of the drydock at Blohm & Voss shipyard. The floating out was cancelled due to bad weather. I uploaded a short video to give you an impression of the weather at that time. The link to that video is

Another rather long video which is not done by myself shows the conditions at noon but also the floating out at midnight.

Frank

Thanks Frank.:)

Hello,

Frank

Hi Frank. I watched your video...nice of you to post it, and thanks for sharing. Regards, Salacia

Hello,

Frank

Frank, Thank You for posting these videos :) Regards,Jerry

Cabins are the same except for new carpet,s they are a chocolate brown with a swirl effect, they really look nice, photo soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213497&d=1322296267

we saw an inside cabin with the new carpet when on the westbound TA, the carpet is far too dark for those cabins.

if the black waves/swirls were also cream, it would have been a bit lighter.

Golden lion

attachment.php?attachmentid=213507&d=1322323745

fixes needed for Golden Lion;

some sort of sound deadening on the ceiling & walls, it gets very noisy in there!

the bar needs to be moved back away from the windows, or cut off at the corner, to get an extra row of tables along the side behind the camera, its simply not big enough for the demand.

Archived