Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

Well I like the new look and many others do as well, we all have different taste, I would not go by a designers point of view although I Know many have great taste others do not as we all know, some designers only think they have it right.

This room was Designed, who ever designed was unsure of what colour to use :) so Cunard is not so bad after all

interior-design-inspiration-linea-italia.jpg.28491a6ac4ef6c74ea4c9a8043aed60b.jpg

The newer photos posted above on this page seem to work "better" for many of the reasons ive described - namely the additon of furniture and duvet with relatively solid tones (or very subtle patterns) gives a place for the eye (and therefore the mind) to rest. If you moved the chair and sofa off of the carpet you would once again find the pattern alarming.

Im a little passionate about design is that coming through here haha....[/quote]

Hmmm among other things! :eek:

Well I like the new look and many others do as well, we all have different taste, I would not go by a designers point of view although I Know many have great taste others do not as we all know, some designers only think they have it right.

If you could upload a picture of a renovated Princess Grill suite, I'd very much appreciate it.

I suppose i had fallen in love with the fantasy they are selling of classic ocean travel (circa 1910/20's / Titanic Art Deco era)

Setting to one side the HUGE difference between the 1910s late-Edwardian 'English Country House' style of the pre-war liners and the Art Deco approach from the Ile de France on, I think the carpet IS rather Art Deco - simple, strong geometric patterns.

And the design company (I'm guessing the UK arm of Tillberg, SMC) have done work before on Queen Mary 2, successfully in my view.

But in the other aspect - 'selling a fantasy' - you are quite correct....and when it worked on QE2 it worked brilliantly....

What's up with all the hideous browns? Have we lost the rich and grand looking reds that used to be in the grand lobby? I love Cunard and feel that they are often quite right in their choices but someone should take out the person who said yes to all of the chocolate browns and shoot them at dawn!

I suspect the carpet's name is "easy maintenance brown"....

What a terrible shame Carnival insists on taking the cheap way out whenever possible. The soft furnishings are common motel collection pieces..easy to make and easy to get. I wish there was at least one redeeming design element I could take to but there is not. It seems even the slightest bit of originality is too expensive for P&O to consider these days.

This room was Designed, who ever designed was unsure of what colour to use :) so Cunard is not so bad after all

Oh dear.... This room has the same problem - in reverse, all of he foreground onjects (furniture) are unnecessarily busy.

Well at least the fabric will hide stains (by looking awful all the time):)

... Since saturday she is officially reflaged...

QM2_kompri.JPG

While her stern has never been her most photogenic angle, somehow "Hamilton" makes like an ugly scar.

Southampton - RMS Queen Mary 2, flagship of the British merchant fleet

Hamilton - MS Queen Mary 2, flagship of the Cunard fleet

Well, it is what it is and there will be no going back. For me it will always be a demotion in her status.

While her stern has never been her most photogenic angle, somehow "Hamilton" makes like an ugly scar.

Southampton - RMS Queen Mary 2, flagship of the British merchant fleet

Hamilton - MS Queen Mary 2, flagship of the Cunard fleet

Well, it is what it is and there will be no going back. For me it will always be a demotion in her status.

Yes demotion is a good word

Do you think changing from Southampton to Hamilton is good or bad?

Cheers. SFB.

I kind of wonder how the 60'th anniversary celebration of Queen Elizabeth is going to go. All 3 Cunard ships are supposed to be there. A bit of an insult with them now registered in Bermuda. This still won't have us stop traveling Cunard. That will happen when they abandon the formal British style of oeanliner travel.

Do you think changing from Southampton to Hamilton is good or bad?

Cheers. SFB.

Gosh, thats a question.

I would have liked Cunard and QM2 to have had Southampton on the stern and for them all to have remained British registered.

However I dont think that what has happened will have any great impact on them, I am booked on QE and QM2 for 2012, I will continue to sail Cunard for many reasons other than where they are registered.

It is also a shame that a tradition is now lost, but we have to move on, once on the ship i will just look at the life rings now:eek: they say hamilton

I kind of wonder how the 60'th anniversary celebration of Queen Elizabeth is going to go. All 3 Cunard ships are supposed to be there. A bit of an insult with them now registered in Bermuda. This still won't have us stop traveling Cunard. That will happen when they abandon the formal British style of oeanliner travel.

Yoiur right I think, however they will still be great ships in as much as they have so much room and so few passengers, this is one of the main reasons for me- only one though

There is indeed a Hamilton in the UK - in South-Lanarkshire - although it is inland. Maybe to the average person who has never sailed "Hamilton" wouldn't mean anything.

I wonder how the British media will handle it - will they just cover the event and ignore the whole registry switch? I would think there would have been some animosity in Southampton over this especially since they lost revenue. And that's where the meet up is to take place.

When Shanks first mentioned the refit last summer he was coy on specifics, only mentioning that there would be "some surprises". Now we know what was in the works.

Now that Cunard is in the wedding business, we can look forward to places like the Commodore Club or Grills Terrace being "closed for a private event".

I found the "new designs" very interesting. Obviously for the very rich only. Once again. :)

Personally, I also agree with some...the new carpet is not going to make much difference in the cabin one way or another. Provided you are not in a major suite where you actually see the carpet. We travel in the balcony cabins and you do not have much opportunity to actually observe the carpet because it is occupied by beds and a cocktail table.

On our August TA's, Cunard had replaced the favorite video slot machines for newer versions of Penny slots. The change was not received well on that cruise but I'm guessing that that disappointment will go by the wayside the same as all other changes. Those that really don't like the changes will move on....those that still like Cunard for what it represents will keep booking. And Cunard will always attract new passengers...and the loyal passengers who have sailed Cunard...because they loved Cunard..will move on. Cunard will not miss us.

Archived