Luggage - Disembarkation

AlaskaFan05

Hello, Do you need to place your luggage outside the cabin the night before final arrival? I have read that sometimes it can take awhile to get off the ship. My wife and I have a 12 o'clock flight that we hope we can make. Our arrival is for 6 AM into the port of Seattle. Is it quicker to carry your own luggage off the ship to your waiting transportation? How exactly does this whole process work. Thanks again for any help.

Jeff

I vote for not hauling off yourself. Unless your are very lite packer....it really is not a big deal to have your checked items in the hall on the last night.

Not sure about Seattle, but RCI VanCouver had a new (charge) service for taking your bags and checking them all the way to your final destination. This service is port/airline specific, as to whether it is available.

Again, can't say for personal experience in Seattle, but a noon flight should be fine. Your checked bags will be picked up from the hall in the last night. You will debark with your carry ons after being called by color groups. After going thru TSA/etc - you will then claim your checked bags from usually a large holding room. (the contraband dogs will have walked thru them all already). You then haul the luggage (or use porters) to go thru customs and out the transportation services.

Most cruiselines insist you vacate your cabin early that morning, and wait for color calls in a lounge or public area. Carting your big bags seems a chore to me.

Near the end of your cruise, ask steward or pursor desk for the "earliest" color tags. You will then be in one of the first groups to be called off.

Gosh, looks like you have 7 posts - and already asking about the END of the cruise. <grin> Stay focussed on the START and MIDDLE, you will forever have enjoyed it.

I would do exactly as dna said. Perfect answer. I would stress as dna said go to the purser's office a few days before leaving and request the earliest tags, I believe they are red.

Marilyn

I doubt that the cruise line would let you carry all of your luggage off by yourself. They have to do a luggage check (homeland security, you know!) But, make sure you keep a carry on luggage with you with all of your prescriptions in them, along with a change of clothes for morning and your toiletries. I have read on these message boards about people being stuck in their "nighties" when the disembarkation day arrives because they didn't leave an outfit out to change into. Not sure if someone was pulling my leg or not, but you have to think of these things. ON the last morning, they usually have everyone go to the theatre on board in shifts and then they call luggage tag colors to disembark. It's quite an undertaking, but most cruise lines and most ports have it down to a science. You then reach a section of the port building where you see a "sea" of luggage and color markers to let you know where to look for yours. This can be quite an experience for the first timer. ONe other word of advice, whether it be carry on or regular luggage, make sure all of it is on wheels. So much easier, esp. when 2,000 passengers are all looking for luggage at the same time and then milling around looking to get out.

Could just add that the ship's daily newspaper will spell out what to do at an appropriate time, and the Cruise Director will also give a talk one morning close to the end of the cruise, and this will usually be taped and can be re-watched on your cbain's TV. You will also be asked to let the ship know your flight departure time at some point, and they will assign your luggage tag colour based on this - earlier flights get "earlier" colours.

Hope this helps; enjoy your cruise.

While it can be done, it's not necessarily the best thing to do. The ship is quite crowded, the elevators packed with people, you may have to use stairs at some point during disembarkation. You will receive early disembarkation tags (most lines have you fill out a questionaire a couple days prior) and your luggage will be waiting for you. It never takes us more than 5 minutes or so to find all our bags, we have them clearly marked. Remember, you can also lock your bags, just have to take the locks off at the airport (unless you have TSA approved locks).

Some ships have started a service where they will deliver your bags to the airport. I don't know all the rules that apply there, but the ship will provide info for that during your cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise to Alaska!

Archived