Black & White Ball

kassiopi

We are on QM2 for Xmas & NY and am in the process of planning my wardrobe. Do any of you ladies think I would standout if I wore a black dress with wide gold trim on the B&W night. Its one of the 5 evening gowns I would prefer to bring & don't want to have to have to buy (or pack) another just for this trip.I seem to recall most people stuck to the B&W theme on our previous cruises with Cunard except one time I remember a lady all in red - I certainly don't want to standout like she did! She had the looks and figure to get away with it! Not lond now - can't wait. Vera

We are on QM2 for Xmas & NY and am in the process of planning my wardrobe. Do any of you ladies think I would standout if I wore a black dress with wide gold trim on the B&W night. Its one of the 5 evening gowns I would prefer to bring & don't want to have to have to buy (or pack) another just for this trip.I seem to recall most people stuck to the B&W theme on our previous cruises with Cunard except one time I remember a lady all in red - I certainly don't want to standout like she did! She had the looks and figure to get away with it! Not lond now - can't wait. Vera

Hi Vera,

it's been pretty quiet around here today and I notice that nobody has stepped up and answered your question. So, although I'm no lady (in fact I'm no gentleman either!), I'll stick my head above the parapet and state quite unequivocally that you will be absolutely fine in the dress you describe.

In my experience only a very limited number of people dress to the theme for these "balls" and a black dress with any kind of whitish trim will be grand. Have a great time.

J

Perhaps you could pay lip service to the Black and White theme by draping a white stole over your shoulders.

If not, do not go out and spend $$$$ on a dress just for that night, the so called Ball is a non event. Only the Queens Room has a theme, and the "event" if you wish to call it that, last for about an hour in that room.

Any Formal Black dress will be acceptable for the whole of the night.

A black and gold gown sounds lovely, but what about patterned multicolored ones? All of my evening dresses are extremely bright, and I don't want to try and find another before I leave. Can a bright dress work, or am I better off with a black knee-length cocktail dress or a ladies' tuxedo with a white bustier?

A black and gold gown sounds lovely, but what about patterned multicolored ones? All of my evening dresses are extremely bright, and I don't want to try and find another before I leave. Can a bright dress work, or am I better off with a black knee-length cocktail dress or a ladies' tuxedo with a white bustier?

You will be fine, don't worry about it. :)

Your black and gold will be just fine...I wore a black with blue sequins ....I've seen all sorts on-a-theme-of-black on the black and white nights,as long as it's mostly black it'll be great..

Yes, you're absolutely correct.

And it's probably worth adding a point that I forgot to make in my original answer. The OP was worried that she woud "stand out" (not in a good way). In my experience, the ones who stand out are actually those people who conform to the theme and not those who simply wear their normal formal night clothes.

J

Archived