Which cave tubing company for 2 adults, and a 6 and 9 year old?

rdevine10

I don't think having children makes much, or any, difference in what company you choose. All outfits go to the same place and float the same river. If you search through you will see that many companies are highly recommended and you probably won't go wrong with any of them.

We had an amazing experience with VIV. Our guide was Kareem and he related well with children. The hike to the entry point was very fun and informative. VIV is the only company that only has the nicer tubes - they have headrests, mesh on the bottom, and they click together so that you don't have to link feet to armpits. However, VIV does not serve lunch if that is important to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from cave tubing in Belize with two 10 y.o, and 15 and 17 y.o. and used cave-tubing.com and they were awesome and safety was great with the kids. We had a group of 7 and we where all linked together in groups of 2 with the 10 y.o. up front by guide. We also did ATVing and the kids drove thier own and the guides ran and I mean ran along side the kids and helped them out when they go stuck. AWESOME company.

We went back in September and went to .bz. We felt very comfortable and we had our 3 year old with us (who is not scared of trying anything). The guide we had was WONDERFUL and personally took just my husband, myself and our 3 year old as a group by ourselves. :)

Hi. We are just off the Carnival Legend and used Charlies Cave Tubing. He was Excellent. He has a degree in Horitculture and was able to explain plants to us and what they're used for. We even tasted a few. He is very funny and knowledgeable. We had a small group - 10 people. I would highly recommend him. also, we had the nice vests that go around your chest, not over your head, like some of the other companies. Those looked uncomfortable.

I used VIV this month and enjoyed our guide, Kareem. He was always respectful and tried to keep our group away from others in the cave.

Some other guides (with different companies) were loud in the caves and rushing to get by others.

VIV does not include lunch and that allows for plenty of time in the caves.

I would suggest eating a large breakfast and then just buying some snacks for lunch.

VIV had the nicest innertubes. Having the mesh bottom made the tubing much more enjoyable plus you could keep easily keep your water bottle with you.

Kareem gave a lot of information during the drive and on the hike. He and the other guides were helpful to all in the group.

I do have to say this...(and I'm not partial to one company or another).

But, if you do your research, you will find someone that has been with EVERY company there is for cavetubing. Someone will always come back and post:

1) OUR company does 3 caves instead of the other companies that only do 2. (keep in mind that this statement comes from people that have went with different companies).

On our tour, they ASK you if you want to go the extra way to go to the cave on up. There is a split where you can go either way. One will take you down to the river to start tubing, the other path will continue on up to the next cave. They usually leave it up to the tourist and who's in the group and whether or not you feel like walking the rest of the way.

2) ALL of the tour guides from the different companies will tell you every little thing about the plants, the history, let you taste different plants and give you detailed information about what the plant is used for on the island. If you take the "other" path to the "extra" cave, you will come across the tarantula that you can hold and a hive of termites in the trees that they will let you taste.

3) EVERYONE goes down the same river and the same caves. All of the tubing companies go together. (Not TOGETHER, they are spread out, but everyone is tubing at the same time...no not side by side and spoiling the trip for others if you know what I mean). The tour guides try to keep their little group away from others (there is a guide to X amount of people in the party) as best they can. The river flows at X amount of speed. You are floating down a lazy river type all at the same speed basically...and that speed is the speed that the water carries you. Your guide is usually in a tube with you using their arms to paddle you away from the walls or others. Some times they walk if it's a low area and will pull you through and tell you "butts up" if needed.

So, everyone basically gets the same tour and I don't see how some feel that they get to spend "more time" in the caves than others because they don't have lunch included with their tour. :confused: Maybe someone can explain to me.

No matter what company you pick, all of them seem to come highly recommended on here by people who have toured with them. They all seem to have the same knowledge, they do the same tour, they taste the same things...it's all the same place. Look at it this way, they ALL want your business and they all want to go out of their way to please you and make a good impression on you so that you will come back here and recommend them. That's how they stay in business. They will tell you this and recommend you come back here to report. :) You will have a good time. Enjoy!

(The only other thing I would add that I have seen different between the companies are the tubes! .com uses the old black inter-tubes. .bz has the upgraded yellow ones that are a lot nicer. VIV has the even better ones that come with the net on the seat and also a headrest.) So, there's your difference....other than prices and a meal of course. :p

Mitsugirly - I think that is a fair and accurate assessment. It sounds like most of the guides, regardless of the company, are great.

I think what the previous poster may have been referring to with VIV is that there seemed to be a more leisurely pace. We paused frequently on the hike to rest and get interesting information. I'm sure most do that too, but we were passed by at least three groups and we did not pass any.

In the river, we were also passed by several groups as Kareem held our tubes back to keep them in place. So we spent a little more time in the caves and also once we got out of the caves on the pleasant float back. There were a couple larger, louder groups that he let float past and then he knocked down some leaves from a tree - I think it was Allspice or something like that - and we got to taste it. I'm sure he's not the only guide that does that, but the other groups we saw on that day just floated past. At the end of the float we got out and spent about 15 minutes just swimming in the river.

I would assume that we were able to do those things because there was no meal being provided, so there was more time available. I appreciate your clarification on the number of caves. We did see some groups going down the first trail for the shorter float. So the "additional time" was probably not very significant, but it was a nice pace.

I totally agree with your final assessment - the main factors to determine which company to go with are probably price, tubes and food. And any reputable company is likely going to provide an awesome experience.

I also agree with Misugirly's post. However, I wanted to throw another tour company name out there. We just returned from Belize and went with explore belize caves dot com. I chose them because, like VIV, they have the new tubes with headrests, cupholders and are strapped together (no feet/armpit method). We couldn't have asked for a better day and experience. Dennis, Mr. Brown, and Pepe were all very enjoyable, and I can highly recommend them.

CACkles, the leaves smell like spices when broken up but are a natural numbing agent. Great for toothaches! :)

I also agree with Misugirly's post. However, I wanted to throw another tour company name out there. We just returned from Belize and went with explore belize caves dot com. I chose them because, like VIV, they have the new tubes with headrests, cupholders and are strapped together (no feet/armpit method). We couldn't have asked for a better day and experience. Dennis, Mr. Brown, and Pepe were all very enjoyable, and I can highly recommend them.

CACkles, the leaves smell like spices when broken up but are a natural numbing agent. Great for toothaches! :)

Awesome. I have never heard of them.

I do have to admit the linking together instead of the feet does sound a lot better. Although I didn't mind linking feet (it was only to my husband and it was just us in the party), I have bad circulation and by the end of the tour my feet were numb and I had to sit at the exit for awhile after unhooking to get the circulation flowing again before getting out of the tube. :rolleyes:

Just wondering, did it include a meal?

Awesome. I have never heard of them.

I do have to admit the linking together instead of the feet does sound a lot better. Although I didn't mind linking feet (it was only to my husband and it was just us in the party), I have bad circulation and by the end of the tour my feet were numb and I had to sit at the exit for awhile after unhooking to get the circulation flowing again before getting out of the tube. :rolleyes:

Just wondering, did it include a meal?

Yes, I specifically picked them BECAUSE of their new tubes and the strapping of tubes instead of feet/armpit. I have to say I was so relaxed I was thinking I could take a nap. :) Of course our guide was very informative throughout the tour so that wouldn't happen, but I'm happy to report that's how comfortable I was.

Yes, they have the option of lunch if you want it. For $5 you can eat at the restaurant there at the site. We didn't originally sign up for lunch but opted to eat there when we were done, and Dennis got us the $5 deal. It was very good.

Yes, I specifically picked them BECAUSE of their new tubes and the strapping of tubes instead of feet/armpit. I have to say I was so relaxed I was thinking I could take a nap. :) Of course our guide was very informative throughout the tour so that wouldn't happen, but I'm happy to report that's how comfortable I was.

Yes, they have the option of lunch if you want it. For $5 you can eat at the restaurant there at the site. We didn't originally sign up for lunch but opted to eat there when we were done, and Dennis got us the $5 deal. It was very good.

Do you know if lunch in the restaurant is available if you go thru VIV?

There was no lunch option when we used VIV. I don't think the restaurant is right in the area where they park for tubing. If it is there it must be private. Otherwise it would require an additional stop, and that was not offered. You do have time to buy snacks from the vendors there, but nobody was selling lunch. You can check with VIV to see if anything has changed.

Do you know if lunch in the restaurant is available if you go thru VIV?

I don't know because we didn't go thru VIV; we went thru explore belize caves. The restaurant was upstairs in this building where everyone parks. The restaurant didn't appear to be private??

1180414201_2011-12-19708(forcc).JPG.99748f42606a894e47a2f685449938ed.JPG

I don't know because we didn't go thru VIV; we went thru explore belize caves. The restaurant was upstairs in this building where everyone parks. The restaurant didn't appear to be private??

That is interesting! We did not see a restaurant or any building that anyone was entering, other than the restrooms. I wonder if maybe it wasn't open in September because it is a slower season? Or maybe we just totally missed it! I know that on our tour with VIV it was not mentioned. I'm sure if you contact VIV they could tell you if that is an option or not, but if lunch is important then you might be better off with a different company.

I never saw a "restaurant" at the cave tubing park either. That is not saying there is not one, I just didn't see it.

We picked .BZ because of the extra cave and lunch. Our guides took great time on the trail and did not rush us at all. My mom is 79 and no trouble keeping up. I will add that my husband carried her tube, then on of the guides offered to carry my tube so that I could help my mom across the water and up and down the steps.

I saw the tubes with the headrest. They were the quality of our yellow >BZ tubes. I wouldn't want the headrest. I reclining my head all the way back in the cave and looking up at the ceiling. It was gorgeous! We felt the headrest was about as useful as the cupholder! lol!

I will say to make sure the group you select has helmets with lights. One group DID NOT. The helmets were needed IMHO.

The lunch was a delicious plus. Our day was $45.00 pp + tip. It included cold water at the start, transportation, park admission, a wonderful tour with an extra cave, and a delicious lunch plus drink (or rum punch if you wanted for free.) Couldn't beat it! We got back in plenty of time to shop.

We will use .BZ again.

Are you talking about this building?

IMG5548-M.jpg

That's the only other building that I seen there that day and it is on the opposite side of the restrooms as you are heading toward the "walk" to the caves, but right there in the parking lot area. :)

Are you talking about this building?

IMG5548-M.jpg

That's the only other building that I seen there that day and it is on the opposite side of the restrooms as you are heading toward the "walk" to the caves, but right there in the parking lot area. :)

Yep, one in the same. Downstairs was a gift shop and upstairs had a buffet style restaurant. As you can see in the pic, the upstairs doesn't have full walls which made for some very nice views while eating lunch.

I know everyone has their opinions of what types of tubes they prefer, etc. However, I must say that the headrests & cupholders were awesome! I totally kicked back and relaxed the entire ride and didn't even have to hold onto my water bottle. :) Cannot even count how many times we heard people around us say ... "hey look, they even have headrests".

Yep, one in the same. Downstairs was a gift shop and upstairs had a buffet style restaurant. As you can see in the pic, the upstairs doesn't have full walls which made for some very nice views while eating lunch.

I wondered what that place was. We didn't stick around long enough to go in or see what it was. I assumed it was a gift shop of some type but didn't realize they had a restaurant. Nice. :)

We went with cave-tubing.com last month and had a blast! Like people say everyone goes down together so even if you pay extra to be in a smaller group its not like you will be going through the cave alone. We had several different companies that were in the caves with us at the same time. We just enjoyed cave-tubing.com because of the party atmosphere getting to the caves and coming back...its a long trip from the cruise ship port and they definitely make sure you have a good time.

Archived