Carnival Dream with kids - share a room?

mojonah

We are considering bringing our kids on a cruise with us next year on the Carnival Dream. (Until now, cruises have been just for hubby and I). Kids will be 11 and 9 at time of cruise. Hubs loves the balcony rooms and wants to go that route...but... Will we still be sane if we share one balcony room for a week OR should we book 2 adjoining rooms? Trying to cost effective - but are wanting to be realistic as well.

If the kids don't go to Camp Carnival - will there still be enough for them to do on sea days?

Thanks for your help!

My kids were staying across the hall in an inside room at that age (and younger) with no problems at all. You can go to the Pursers desk and get a key to their room so you will have a key. I did the samething with my grandkids. I can't imagine having four people in my room:eek: although for the cost I understand it. If you and your husband want a balcony room I would book them inside and save the cost of a second balcony.

On all of our cruises, our family (4 people) stayed in the same room. On our latest cruise, DS was 16 and DD was 12. We had no problem at all. Of course, it might be worse with younger kids, we never had an issue. Its a matter of cost for us, but luckily, we all get along and enjoy each other's company, especially on vacation. This way we can cruise or take other vacations more often.

We have cruised both ways. When the kids were younger we liked to have them in the same room. We will be on the Dream in May and we booked a balcony for us and an interior across the hall for our two kids who are now college age. Just keep in mind with 2 adjoining balconies the kids would have access to the outside at all times. That might make me a little nervous at night time if they woke up and want to go outside.

We booked a separate room for the kids ( 12,15) on Carnival in April ...it was bliss and they really enjoyed their own space. However we went on Disney Cruise last month and because its so dear we were all in one interior room. It was an absolute nightmare ...never again and never with Disney either. We have booked separate rooms for our upcoming cruises with Carnival and NCL.

For us it is a matter of cruising and using the room for sleeping area mostly vs. spending much time in the room. I usually do book balconies but have an inside booked for a short 4 night cruise in Dec. We are a family of 4. Me, DH. DS 16 and DD13. Our last cruise was on the dream in a cove balcony. We were fine with 4 people in that room. Kids came and went and hubby and I were able to spend some one on one time on the balcony etc in the room. Again for us I can take 2 cruises with all 4 of us in the room vs. one cruise if I have to book two cabins.... There is tons of storage in the room, the bathroom is OK too and often I shower in the gym area.

I'm old school. Preteens, being left alone in a room by themselves just doesn't seem right. Don't know what the issues are for booking two rooms, since my 2 kids always stayed in our room and never had an issue. But than again, I also want to know when they are back, and not roaming the halls at 3am.

I think it can definitely be done without feeling too cramped. These staterooms are some of the largest (ocean view is larger than balcony). But, you know your kids and how much space you need better than anyone. My kid can feel like 5 children at times!:)

Seriously, this is our 9th cruise with the kids and they are now 16&9 yrs old and they still stay in same room bcuz we are not in the room much at all!! We tried to get 2 rooms but it didn't make sense bcuz we were never in room except to sleep and we shower at different times! Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for your replies everyone. I would not be comfortable with the kids across the hall from us - I don't think I would sleep at all - unless I was there with them. LOL

While I'm not overly concerned about space - my hubby SNORES - and while in hotel rooms, it really interrupts our DD sleep....and she wakes up often as a result - hence - we are considering adjoining rooms. I'm trying to be economically - and suggested interior - but hubby isn't really wanting to consider that.

I also am nervous - like mentioned - about the kids having access to the balcony at all times - but - I think we could warn them enough, that they wouldn't go out without us....they're pretty good that way - but I would still be nervous.....and have thought about door alarms for the balcony door.

My sons had adjoining cabins on the Dream (7447/7441) so their children could have easier access to each other...LOL! It worked out great for them. And if you go with two balcony rooms you can open the divider and have a nice big balcony!

Your family will have a great time! We took our ten year old twins with us this year and we had a blast. The kids wanted to spend the whole time at camp carnival and we had to drag them out just for family time LOL! I found that we had plenty of time for ourselves while also enjoying a great family vacation. The room was a little crowded, but nothing bothersome.

Up until recently, we've always booked the 4 of us in one cabin. Usually the only time all of us are in the cabin at the same time is to sleep and get ready for dinner. The money you save can be used for excursions or lots of DOD's!

If you do decide to do a quad cabin, be sure to bring an over the door shoe holder for all of the 'stuff' that crowds the countertops and bathroom spray! Those are my family's top requirements for a quad!

You mentioned that you are looking at the Dream. Would you consider one of the Spirit class ships instead? There are several rooms on those ships that have inside cabins with connecting doors to balcony cabins. Those rooms are at the front of the ships -- there are several inside rooms in the bow just before the balconies start. An example is 7105 and 7107 on the Spirit.

I think they are available on the other Spirit-class ships too, but I bet they book up very early.

You mentioned that you are looking at the Dream. Would you consider one of the Spirit class ships instead? There are several rooms on those ships that have inside cabins with connecting doors to balcony cabins. Those rooms are at the front of the ships -- there are several inside rooms in the bow just before the balconies start. An example is 7105 and 7107 on the Spirit.

I think they are available on the other Spirit-class ships too, but I bet they book up very early.

Love, LOVE, LOVE this idea! Thank you sooooo much! We're now looking to see what itineraries are available on Spirit Class ships! Thanks!!!!!

We always get 2 cabins, across the hall from eachother- imo we need 2 bathrooms!! lol! Its also nice to have all the extra storage space. It does cost more, but usually not prohibitively so- sometimes its just a matter of dollars if its a shorter cruise! We would do (and do, do) cheapie oceanview across from an interior rather than 1 balcony, to save money but enjoy the extra space and bathroom.

I sometimes wish they had Camp Carnival for adults.:D When there's nothing going on for adults, there's tons going on for the kids. If the kids don't go to Camp Carnival, there will be just as much for them to do as a non-gambling non-drinking adult (like me). They'll be fine.

However, I will warn you concerning Spirit class ships. Those ships are more geared towards an older crowd, who want less noise and less activities, and just enjoy doing nothing. Sure, young adults and kids will be on the ship, and many of them might enjoy this atmosphere, but this atmosphere is not geared for a younger crowd. On my one Spirit class ship, I was getting bored on the sea days, and I was ready to get off the ship by the end. I've never felt that way about any other cruise: anxious for it to end. I'm basically a big kid, so it gives you an idea. However, if your kids get involved with the kids clubs on a Spirit class ship, they may not get bored.

I've cruised twice on the Dream, and both were so awesome! My best 2 cruises! I had to be dragged off the ship both times. It's definitely more geared to a younger crowd, families, & people who enjoy having plenty of activities. The Dream has 2 great, huge waterslides, which the kids and kids-at-heart will love. I couldn't get enough of it! The waterpark is right above the main poolside area, while Spirit class ships tuck their one waterslide way away in the back of the ship. (Some guests never knew the ship had a waterslide.) The Miracle sections things off more on the lido deck, so there's more of a disconnected feeling with what's going on elsewhere, while the Dream has the one huge area where everything's going on. I've got 1 1/2 Dream cruise reviews. The links to both are in my signature. Plenty of pics.

The Dream oceanview rooms are 220 or 230 sq.ft, while a balcony room is only 185 indoors. So if you go with an OV, you'll have more space. Plus, many of the Dream's OV rooms have an extra half-bath, with a sink & junior tub. So 2 can shower at a time. If you do go with a balcony, I recommend a cove. You'll probably like those more than a regular balcony, and they're cheaper. Also, someone else mentioned getting a suite. That's also a great option, as it would be a bigger room and bigger balcony. It might even be cheaper than doing 2 rooms. (There are no cove suites.)

We always shared one stateroom with our two kids, until they turned 9 and were able to sign themselves out from Camp Carnival on their own. Once they could show up in the room, unannounced, at any time, we decided it was worth the extra few hundred bucks to have a little extra privacy :-) We did one cruise recently with all of us in the same room, and my husband said "never again." We're doing the Magic next month and spent about $600 extra so they could have their own room, and I'm sure it will be money very well spent.

Our kids are going with us on their first cruise next month on the Magic. They are 8 and 10. We went as cheap as possible and got an interior room. Our last cruise we had a balcony for the two of us. My husband keeps telling me we'll hardly be in the room except for sleep... We'll see how it goes. My husband is also a heavy snorer. Luckily I had him get a sleep study and he has sleep apnea. He now wears a cpap (although he's been lax lately) and we are much happier. My kids and I told him he is definitely bringing it for the trip! :)

Archived