Balcony statement with young kids? anyone ?

dishealth11

We always get inside or non-balconied outside for safety reasons (and to save money...more cruising;) ). I called Princess when we were booking our first cruise with them to ask about balconies and decided to get the inside. On some ships (Carnival) you can get a view without the balcony -- if that's what you want. Just consider that sometimes ships can hit some waves and really roll.

I can only speak to Carnival balconies: the doors have a deadbolt at the top. It was locked at all times when we weren't actively using the balcony. The side is plexiglass to about 4+ feet. There is a metal lip at the bottom which the plexiglass sits in. No gaps.

We just had the rule that the kids could not go out unless an adult was ALREADY out there (no going out thinking mom or dad were right behind.) Obviously, no climbing on the furniture (which we kept flush with the cabin wall away from the railing). And no "up" - if you want to cuddle, mom or dad will hold you in our laps while we are sitting in a chair.

The real problem was that even my then 25 month old could open the door - and they are heavy. So, we ended up using the bungee cord to keep the door open when we were out there - to prevent the endless in-and-out that so entertains a toddler (thereby saving little fingers from getting smashed and avoiding annoying our neighbors with the constant slamming of the doors).

HTH.

I think it depends on the age of the children, the design of the balcony, and how repsponisble you believe they can be. In the past I have held off on a balcony cabin for two reasons.. 1) cost 2) the safety. We got an amazing deal on our next cruise and went for a balcony but my children will be 11 and 14 by then. Old enough to understand the dangers and follow the rules. Even though the balcony is 12 x 12 feet and below it is other decks not water (aft VOS) they still have been given a list of rules. First, they will not be allowed out there without adult supervision and second, no climbing the rails, third no goofing around. They mess up one time, and they are not allowed to go out there any more. End of story.

We had a balcony cn on the Zuiderdam. My toddler was not on the balcony without supervision at any time whatsoever. Even though she could not open the door, we kept it locked unless we were on the balcony.

The one problem we did have was the door to the cabin - she could reach it and open the door! Had to make sure that the bolt was thrown at all times when we were int eh cabin.

With supervision, you children should not have any issues.

Enjoy your cruise!

The best reason to have a balcony cabin when you have young children is that you can still enjoy being on the ocean even when the kids are asleep -- nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening watching the stars and listening to the sound of the waves. Just follow the same safety and common sense rules you would at home.

My 6 year old couldn't see unless he stood on something....which gave me the heebie jeebies, he wasn't allowed out there without an adult. On the NCL Spirit, I had trouble getting the door open: first the baby lock needs to go up, (or is it down???) then you need to unlock the handle and exert a great deal of pressure to move the thingy down so you can get out. I spent a lot of time saying "Am I doing this right? Why won't this thing open??? Which in hindsight is ok because my gifted 6 year old couldn't figure it out either.

Personally, I love balcony cabins. We cruise with toddler boys, who are extremely active as well. They know the rules, and the balcony is kept locked unless Mom or dad is out there. I find balcony cabins wonderful with toddlers (our oldest is 4 now) is because at night, when they goto sleep, I send Hubby upstairs for somefood and a drink and we sit outside and enjoy our cruise together. It is like an additional room for us. We stay out there and watch the stars, etc while the boys are fast asleep inside.

I agree with the people who said that balcony cabins are great with kids. We have cruised twice with our kids and had balconies both times. My kids were never allowed out there without us and they couldn't open the door by themselves anyhow. The best part of the balcony is sitting there in the evening with your hubby and having a bit of romantic time together.

I have to agree with those who like balconies with kids. We took our oldest daughter (she was our only daughter at the time) on a Disney cruise when she was 3. We talked with her about the rules when we first got to our room but never took our eye off her for a second. Hubby and I used the balcony every night once she went to sleep. It was awesome.

First time we cruised, our daughter was 5. We've always had a balcony, I always worry (she's 8.5 now and I still worry) but it's awesome. On Royal Carib. they have a locking mech. on the doors -- you can slide the door open to four inches (for example) then lock it in place. We still run through the rules with her when we get in the cabin i.e. on standing on chairs to look over the rails, etc. Just thinking about it now makes my heart beat faster...

Smother Mother in Pa

:D

Glad I am not the only one, made my heart beat faster too! I am terrified my 3 yr old will climb on the railings on the decks or balconies. I will be watching him like a hawk!

My wife and I got married in 2002 and took a cruise on the Grand Princess for our honeymoon. We loved it so much that we are going to take the Star on a western Caribean in March 2006. By that time our little guy will be 23 months old and I have to say, it concerns me. Leaving the boat concerns me, the flight concerns me... the balcony conerns me. My wife and I are usually very level headed people, even in the time of urgency. Good to hear from others that have already done cruising with smaller tots.

Thanks to all for posting your thoughs, you are putting my mind at ease.

We also love the balconies with our boys 4 & 5, set down all the rules, moved the chairs away from the rails, no balcony without mommy and daddy and the fact that you can still relax when they are sleeping is the best after all we all need time on our own.Besides mostly when you get a balcony you also get a slightly larger cabin and that extra space is a plus with extra people in the room too. We told the boys that there was to be no climbing at all on the ship and how dangerous it was, they totally understood the dangers of the sea and I have to say they completely blew me away with their respect of our rules. Wish they were so good at home.......... Off again this year, same suite, same balcony. I have to add though I booked the first family cruise 8 months before we left and I spent so many sleepless nights worrying whether I had made the right decision. Just explain the rules and danges to your children and I am sure that you'll appreciate your decision in the end.

We will be traveling in March on the Sapphire Princess. We have a mini-suite, and across the hall our daughter, her husband and 3 year old twins will be in an inside cabin. After much thought and conversation, my son recommended taking one of those little screw window locks for our balcony. I can't remember just what they are called, but they have a clamp and a screw that can easily be tightened. I am hoping that we will be able to put it on the top railing of the sliding door.

I know these two darling kids will be spending time in our cabin, and will always be watched, but you can never be to safe.

Has anyone used these and can I stop worrying now!!

I guess we're just worry worts. We're staying away from balconies until she's much older -- she's quite active and sometimes just forgets to be careful even at 7. Also, I've been reading on the Princess board about some passengers getting smoked out while trying to enjoy their balconies. When I told my hubby about that, he said he's glad we do get inside cabins -- he hates breathing in tobacco smoke as much as I do.

Archived