Ruins here or in Costa Maya

regana

Which would you recommend- Lamanai in Belize or Dzibanche in Costa Maya? We've never been to any ruins, but would prefer one that's big and one that we can climb. We like the idea of the boat ride for Lamanai. If we don't do Belize ruins, should we go for a beach day? Not interested in cave tubing, ziplining, or the zoo. We would be interested in snorkeling, but it would have to be an excursion where only some of the people in our group snorkel and the rest stay on the beach.

We just returned off of Liberty yesterday. We went on the Lamanai ruins. It is an adventure for certain! There were six in our group. It is about an hour drive at 80mph. Just close your eyes and pray! Once you arrive at the river, you then travel about 25 miles in a speed boat - fun! I HIGHLY suggest bringing and wearing a poncho. We had two ponchos for four people, and our guys were soaked. The rain came in a couple of downpours, and if you try to put the poncho on while at top speed, it will blow out of your arms.

Once you arrive at Lamanai, they feed you a small local lunch. You will see three ruins. Our guide rushed us a LOT, barely allowing time for a couple of photos at the first two stops. We were able to climb an 11 story ruin. Not for those in poor physical condition, it is strenuous! We spent maybe 20-30 minutes looking at the ruins, not long enough! Our guide rushed us too much, but we also wanted to return back before the ship arrived. We were 1.5 hours early! So much for all the concern about missing the ship!!

It was a great adventure and I would recommend it!! Oh, and if you see holes in the ground - do not go near them! Those would be tarantula holes. If you take this trip, be sure to let me know if not long down the boat adventure your guide spots an iguana in a tree which seems to be miles away! it was just a little far-fetched! He was very knowledgeable of the region, able to answer almost all questions we had.....just finding the iguana with his superman eyes was a little unbelievable! I think it's a planted stuffed iguana!!

Archived