Not feeling good about the cruise I have booked....

carrieberry

Anyone have experience taking an organized singles cruise? I have one booked for later this year and have been so excited since I put down my deposit, but now the company has a private message board set up for people on this particular cruise, and so far it seems like everyone knows each other from previous cruises together (most of the messages seem to be people recounting their past trips together) - I usually don't have problems meeting new people, but if so many people already know each other, I'm worried I'll be the odd one out. Any input? Thanks

that is kind of a blessing/hazard about singles cruises. on the message boards it can even appear that some "group" or another is actually running the cruise. Usually there are far more people on the singles cruises than the core group who seem to post all the time....And there are "groups" of cruisers who do plan to all go on this and that cruise together. If ya dont like that sort of thing.....uh avoid some cruises like Holloween, and this year possibly Mexican Riviera. It sort of annoys me because sometimes I would like a singles cruise and not a "group" cruise atmosphere as the impression gives off of message boards. If nothing else you can figure out who you DON'T want to meet, point being the singles cruises are bigger than the message boards and there are many people to meet. hmmm Groucho Marx.............never wanted to belong to a club that would have me as a member....hahahha john from NM

Hi Carrie:

I concur with John.

I was in the same situation about two years ago on a cruise with an organized singles cruise. I'm not sure which agency you are going with but I have a feeling that it is the same based on the private chat site.

Unfortunately, a couple of people in a "cliche" wasn't exactly the most friendliest and I'll let it go at that. Since I knew the islands that we were going to, I mainly hung out there and didn't attend a lot of events that they were having. One of the "event co-ordinators" wanted to address the issue but I told that person that it wasn't worth the hassle and to let it drop.

I did meet some good people who were on the cruise. I wish I would of met them at the beginning of the cruise instead of the end.

I would not worry about it. As John said, you will get a feeling what people are like posting and if you don't want to hang with them, you don't have to. People are different online than in person. IMO.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Participate in things that you want to and if you don't want to, don't.

Have a good trip.

Rogue

CB --- One way looking at is you will be "new blood" in the group. That's always worth something --- wear an unusual hat or tell a funny story about yourself and before long, you'll be part of the gang too. You have to start somewhere --- every one of those people was new to the group at SOME point. Give them something to remember you by during first night intros and they'll smile every time they see you.

Talk to as many as you can on board --- ask about previous cruises they've done --- folks always love to tell about their travels and parties. Maybe make a name tag for yourself that announces you as a "newbie" in the group ---- offer to meet folks in a lounge for a pre-dinner drink so you'll have someone to walk into the diningroom with the first time or too. As about upcoming cruises, etc. Take personal business cards with you to pass out --- maybe with your cabin number on too, if you feel comfortable.

Just make up your mind to have a great time, and you will. The important thing is to mingle. I've noticed many of the larger touring groups have a group table where you can ask questions and get help. Maybe you could stop by the first day and volunteer an hour or so of your time to help man the table --- that way you'd get to know the organizers a bit better and have a constructive way of meeting others.

Most of all --- have fun --- at least it got you to sign up for the cruise, rather than staying home!!!:)

Carrieberry, Not to make an acrimonious "thread" out of some fairly simple questions........Actually Fedora had some good ideas. Make some buisness cards with your name and social e mail address is a good one. "Mingle as much as possible" is good, which seems very simple to extroverted or "joiner" type people. Some of these companies do provide you with one or another type name tag to tell your name and which singles company you used to book the cruise. Usually the company will also have activities such as a variation of "five minute dating", chessey scavenger hunts and that where the "teams" are drawn out of hat or bowl, and dance lessons, where a cruise professional chooses who is your dance partner, trivia games, so you can see who might be intelligent etc. Of late, sometimes there were actually several singles booking agents with people on board....so look at their identifying tags......at least you know they are probably single.

If you really want to join a "gang" I guess wearing a funny hat.....it works in Compton Califa quite well.... same with an tag announcing I am "new blood" or a "newby". I am suspecting you booked a "singles cruise" and not making an application to a fraternity or sorority or gang. so..........like I said before there is usually something for everyone. John from NM

i have another suggestion if you can arrive one or two days early for the pre-cruise activities.This is a great way to meet people.I have been on four and about do my fifth next sunday singles cruise.I also have the halloween cruise coming up too.Your doing the right thing on going into the chatroom before the cruise it 's a great way to meet people before the cruise.I've had a much better time on my cruises doing so.try to get into the conversation tell that you are new and ask questions everyone is every helpful.If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at wildgirljen68@yahoo.com

Jen

Hi All,

Carrie, If it helps, I am also a first time cruiser on the same ship/date. I'm trying to go into this with a sense of adventure. Admittedly, I certainly have similar concerns as you, but the more I've been reading these threads, the more excited I'm becomming. I'm SO glad I found this website. I'm amazed at how much informtion it has. As soon as I can get more time, I definetely want to start checking out excursion tips! I feel like I've already been on the Miracle! So, now you know another "newbie"!

Hi Paul,

I booked through singlescruises. It seemed to have a good deal and at least I knew that I wouldn't be entirly with couples and families (not that either are a bad thing). It's one of those tired of just thinking about it kind of things and time to make things happen. This seemed a bit of a safer route than flying completely solo.

Cool. I am booked with them, too. And so is carrieberry. My email address is above if you want to email me about the cruise.

Carrieberry - Well, looks like we can start our "own" group with the three of us if the rest of the reindeer don't want us to join in their reindeer games :). At least we're getting to know some of the rest of the people that's going to be in our cruise group.

By the way, I "bumped" up the Roll Call that was started for this trip. Let's see if we can get any other people onboard with us. Here is the link...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3565136

Paul

Paul, Carrie -

What cruise are you guys taking that you've been talking about? I'm looking for a singles cruise, and possibly a cabin mate.. I'm in Massachusetts..have sailed 3 times, all on NCL, but this time I might be going it alone. I'm 32, non-smoker, easy-going..but am nervous about even THINKING of going solo!

Any suggestions? Comments??

-Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I can at least answer part of your question. The Sailing in question is the Carnival Miracle that is sailing 9/4 to 9/11 to the Western Caribbean. Going to Grand Caymanes, Cozumel, Costa Meya and Belize. As I mentioned in my post I'm a newbie cruiser and going solo. From S.E. Mass too. I booked, as I believe Carrie booked though a singles cruise site that organizes the large group, so it's not a toss of a coin on how many other single people may be on the cruise. Hope this answers some of the question.

Hi Sarah,

I think Dawn answered most of your question, but I just wanted to add that if you do book through the singles organization, you can opt to be assigned a cabinmate from the group (if you don't mind sharing with a stranger :o)

I know I sound aprehensive in my first post of this thread, but my attitude about the whole thing is really improved and now I'm excited! Let us here on the boards know if you book with the singles cruise group!

Hey Dawn,

I was just looking at the roll call threads to see if anyone else is with us yet...maybe closer to sailing there will be more? Hope so! This is actually my 2nd cruise, and I really enjoyed the first, but it was/is pretty much a big blur (no pre-planning whatsoever) and I've basically decided to treat this trip as my "2nd 1st cruise" if that makes any sense....oh, who cares I just wanna have fun:D

Sounds GREAT you guys!! Does the cruise depart out of FL?

Any more info on the organization you booked with?

Please email me anything!! wxgirl2000@aol.com

Thanks!!!!

And don't worry, Carrie about sounding apprehensive! I feel the same way! But I just gotta cruise before I go crazy! Would love to meet all of you!

-Sarah

Sarah, I'll email you some information on this cruise since we cannot post it on this site. I just checked and it looks like the prices just went up $50 today for this cruise. Still over four months to go and looks like the cruise is starting to fill up...

It does leave out of Florida - Tampa to be precise.

Paul

Hi All,

Here is another Roll Call Link for this cruise, by yet another 1st timer. Maybe we can coordinate one active roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=169162

By either excitment or obsession (don't know which) in viewing all the excursions that other posters have been discussing, love the ones that combine the beach parties afterward. But could possibly be better than Stingray's and Margaritas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived