Are the cabins sound-proof?

dishealth11

So far, on Disney, Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises - never heard a sound from anyone in the halls or neighboring cabins. The one exception..... from the crew..... moving deck chairs at 5 am. Now we make sure we book 2 levels below the pool deck.

On one Carnival ship, we found ourselves under one dining room. At midnight, we could hear the vacuum cleaner. A couple of cruises ago, we heard neighbors on one side -- they were pretty loud, and you can probably guess what they sounded like they were doing.:eek: :eek: :eek:

On our Disney Cruise, we were a little worried the first day because we had a connecting room (we wouldn't complain - it was a free upgrade from interior cheapest cateogry to Oceanview) and we heard a baby crying as we were unpacking. I think the connecting door makes sound travel easier. That being said, we never heard a thing from the hallway or next door the rest of the trip. We did hear a lot of noises from the ship groaning on the night when we had gale force winds and extremely high waves.

Also, I have heard people complaining about the sounds of doors being slammed when you have balcony rooms on Carnival.

Good luck and have a blast with whatever room and whatever cruise you end up with.

We cruised with a small white noise machine. Even with teenagers across the hall, and a connecting door to the next cabin, we slept soundly. I agree, you need to look what's above and below you before you book your cabin. On the NCL Spirit, people heard the deck chairs scraping at 5:00am above them, we heard nothing even though one of our cabins was down the hall from the kids club.:)

Yes sometimes you can hear your neighbors........and they can hear you too ;) !! It has never really bothered us though. It is similar to the noise you pick up when you stay in a hotel.

I'm afraid I need to politely disagree with Dosi.

The hotel noises we have experienced can't even compare to staying in a cruise ship cabin. In all our cruising experiences, we've never heard our neighbors, never heard toilets flushing (and they are loud), loud voices coming through the walls (open balcony doors don't count) or slamming doors. Maybe we've been extremely lucky or we just stay in crappy hotels!!:eek: But I agree with a previous poster -- watch what is above you. If you are right below the pool level area, I have heard from other people that you can hear runners early in the morning on the jogging track. Also, if you are near the kitchen area, some UK friends of ours said they heard the food elevators going up and down all night long transferring food. They said it wasn't loud but what kept them awake was trying to figure out what the noise was!! They finally asked the waiter at dinner.

All-in-all, for us, it's the best sleep we get all year!! The ship just rocks you to sleep like a baby...

If you are right under the pool deck, you'll hear the crew dragging the chairs around early in the am...also, we once were next to a man who snored SO LOUDLY he kept us awake! I don't know how his wife could stand it, she was probably used to it or wore earplugs. It was incredibly annoying.

Archived