Quality Inn Gretna LA

Wildcatllamas

Personally, I wouldn't stay in Gretna. It is across the river from the main attractions in New Orleans. It doesn't have the feel of New Orleans. It is basically a suburb of New Orleans and out of the way. I think it is a good deal because of the location.

Thanks for the info. Having never been to New Orleans this is exactly what I was looking for.

I posted this on another thread but thought I would post again since I have seen this question come up a few times:

The best location would be the French Quarter or the CBD (central Business District) or hotels along Convention Center Blvd. If you plan on visiting the French Quarter (where many of the main attractions are or they are very close by, like the WWII museum) before or after your cruise, the absolute best location is the French Quarter.

Just my personal opinion, but I would avoid these locations:

Anything on the "West Bank" which would be Gretna

Anything that is considered "New Orleans East". Hotels there may even avoid using the term "New Orleans East" because of the stigma it has.

Anything in outlying areas that is still considered the Great New Orleans are are like Chalmette, St. Bernard, again, New Orleans East and Gretna. Simply put, they are not convenient to the cruise ship terminal, do not have the "New Orleans" feel, and for New Orleans East, could be dangerous.

Now, Kenner and Metairie are close to the airport so may be a good option but again, they do not have that true feel of what people come to New Orleans for. They are suburbs of New Orleans, much newer areas compared to the history of downtown and uptown New Orleans and the French Quarter.

I second World Gallery's statement. Unless there is a major event going on (Super Bowl, BCS Championship, Final Four, Jazz Fest) spend the extra money and stay downtown in or next to the Quarter.

Check the French Quarter Festival website at http://www.fqfi.com for specials during Christmas New Orleans Style (also called Papa Noel specials).

Thanks World Gallery and Lynda59. Since we may be driving down we were looking for some place that made parking a Ford F-250 pick up easy. So plan B may be looking at renting a car one way. A lot to sightsee on the way down so DH doesn't want to fly if we can get out of it.

I second World Gallery's statement. Unless there is a major event going on (Super Bowl, BCS Championship, Final Four, Jazz Fest) spend the extra money and stay downtown in or next to the Quarter.

Check the French Quarter Festival website at www.fqfi.com for specials during Christmas New Orleans Style (also called Papa Noel specials).

Hey Lynda - thanks so much for that link. It is wonderful!! I signed up to receive emails. Granted I'm a year out but it sure fun planning when going to a city with such a rich history.

I live near N. O. and drive through there a lot. I agree you should stay in the French Quarter or at least near there to experience the real New Orleans. The Ramada on Bourbon was nice, but we could not stand the Hilton on Canal. Both have parking, but you will be charged for it. Also, the Hilton's parking garage was not very safe feeling at all. This is a link to Ramada

http://www.ramada.com/hotels/hotel-overview?hotel_id=12538&cid=IP-RAM_PPC_GGL_TM&008=&004=2356221658&005=110506069&006=9060293458&007=Search&002=2193669

Thank you Calex I will check into the Ramada.

I stayed there many years ago on my Honeymoon, and again last year. Both stays were very nice. We had a balcony over Toulouse Street, it is very relaxing setting up there listening to the sounds of Bourbon Street.

Archived