Harrison cave taking photos advice

Buffettfan 225

Looking for advice from anyone who has taken photos at Harrison Cave. I am getting a nice digital SLR camera for Christmas (santas elf told me so) and wondering how to get best photos of cave. I will have a standard 18-55mm lens and a 55-300 with built in flash. Any photographers out there?

Also someone mentioned water dripping in cave and said wear a baseball cap- how much exposure will camera get? Do I need a cover for it, or just a small towel to cover it?

At least I know where you two will be when we are boarding the ship and finding our way around it;)

Not too long to go now.

Cheers

John

:) yes, actually 4 of us! I like to sleep late as well as college go-ers. Not sure where that will fit in this cruise! At least Tuesday is an at sea day, last Victory cruise we had Dominica scheduled.

Looking for advice from anyone who has taken photos at Harrison Cave. I am getting a nice digital SLR camera for Christmas (santas elf told me so) and wondering how to get best photos of cave. I will have a standard 18-55mm lens and a 55-300 with built in flash. Any photographers out there?

Also someone mentioned water dripping in cave and said wear a baseball cap- how much exposure will camera get? Do I need a cover for it, or just a small towel to cover it?

Do you know which camera you're getting? I use a Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 18-270 most of the time.

It's been a long time since we've been to Harrison's Cave, so I'm trying hard to remember the lighting situation. I think what I would plan is:

1) Use the 18-55, you won't need the reach n the 55-300

2) My recollection is that the lighting they provide will provide the most interesting shots - I don't think I'd use my flash. Set for aperature priority, set a large aperature and let the camera choose the shutter speed. If you want a deeper depth of field, you'll probably have to add your own flash, but remember that there is light fall off. If you're using the flash, you may want to use the auto setting on the camera, as well. Use auto white balance. Shoot in raw, that way you'll be able to do a lot of correction in post-production, and you should end up with some very nice pictures.

3) You may want to try a "stringpod," for stability. Get a eyehook that threads into your tripod mount, add a piece of string just long enough that it is taut when the camera is held to your face and you're stepping on the other end of the string.

4) They have you wear a hardhat -I don't remember there being enough water dripping for me to worry about my camera. I carry a disposdable shower cap (I take them from hotels for just this purpose), and I'd cover the camera with that when I'm not actually shooting in the cave.

Enjoy the camera!

Do you know which camera you're getting? I use a Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 18-270 most of the time.

It's been a long time since we've been to Harrison's Cave, so I'm trying hard to remember the lighting situation. I think what I would plan is:

2) My recollection is that the lighting they provide will provide the most interesting shots - I don't think I'd use my flash. Set for aperature priority, set a large aperature and let the camera choose the shutter speed. If you want a deeper depth of field, you'll probably have to add your own flash, but remember that there is light fall off. If you're using the flash, you may want to use the auto setting on the camera, as well. Use auto white balance. Shoot in raw, that way you'll be able to do a lot of correction in post-production, and you should end up with some very nice pictures.

3) You may want to try a "stringpod," for stability. Get a eyehook that threads into your tripod mount, add a piece of string just long enough that it is taut when the camera is held to your face and you're stepping on the other end of the string.

4) They have you wear a hardhat -I don't remember there being enough water dripping for me to worry about my camera. I carry a disposdable shower cap (I take them from hotels for just this purpose), and I'd cover the camera with that when I'm not actually shooting in the cave.

Enjoy the camera!

Thanks for the very helpful tips. The shower cap is an awesome idea! also easy to pack. I've never shot in raw being my first DSLR so will be learning that also.

Thanks for the very helpful tips. The shower cap is an awesome idea! also easy to pack. I've never shot in raw being my first DSLR so will be learning that also.

I've been using a DSLR for several years, just started shooting in raw. I don't know why I waited so long! Word of warning - the files are big, I get about 450 pics on a 16 gb sdhc card. If you aren't bringing a computer to download to, bring lots of cards - I'm now carrying about 90 gb in sdhc cards for the camera. Amazon just had a sale on the 16 gb sdhc, class 10 - under $20/card. Which camera is Santa bringing you?

Enjoy the camera!

Thanks for the info!! Santa brought me a pretty Canon T2i last year and I can't wait to get some cave photos! My little point and shoot just won't do the job

I've been using a DSLR for several years, just started shooting in raw. I don't know why I waited so long! Word of warning - the files are big, I get about 450 pics on a 16 gb sdhc card. If you aren't bringing a computer to download to, bring lots of cards - I'm now carrying about 90 gb in sdhc cards for the camera. Amazon just had a sale on the 16 gb sdhc, class 10 - under $20/card. Which camera is Santa bringing you?
Santa is bringing Nikon D5100 +kit lens + Nikkor 55-300 (I supplemented santa's budget ;).)

Thanks for info on memory card space usage and raw file shooting. I have always brought one memory card per day for a trip (plus a backup card) and store them in a secure location not with me. So for an 7 day trip 8 cards. Lots of cards, but often no way to download and prefer keeping data also on card until I can upload to a second hard drive.

Reason be for so many..if camera lost, stolen or card malfunctions I have all my other memories -rather spread out photos over many smaller cards than one big one. I did get a sale 16G card at Best Buy for an even better brand -planned ahead!

Now I am trying to find an easy to carry case that holds 55-300 zoom & camera, not too bulky. Played with many at a local photography only store and so confused bought nothing! Best fit was a shoulder tamarac "rectangle" bag resembling a lunch box, but wondering of weight on shoulder, perhaps a backpack or sling type is better? Opinions?

Santa is bringing Nikon D5100 +kit lens + Nikkor 55-300 (I supplemented santa's budget ;).)

Thanks for info on memory card space usage and raw file shooting. I have always brought one memory card per day for a trip (plus a backup card) and store them in a secure location not with me. So for an 7 day trip 8 cards. Lots of cards, but often no way to download and prefer keeping data also on card until I can upload to a second hard drive.

Reason be for so many..if camera lost, stolen or card malfunctions I have all my other memories -rather spread out photos over many smaller cards than one big one. I did get a sale 16G card at Best Buy for an even better brand -planned ahead!

Now I am trying to find an easy to carry case that holds 55-300 zoom & camera, not too bulky. Played with many at a local photography only store and so confused bought nothing! Best fit was a shoulder tamarac "rectangle" bag resembling a lunch box, but wondering of weight on shoulder, perhaps a backpack or sling type is better? Opinions?

I have a Tamrac sling bag that holds my macro and my zoom. It is a deep bag. Also has a strap that appears from a pouch in the back so it can take some of the weight off your shoulder, love it!

I have a Tamrac sling bag that holds my macro and my zoom. It is a deep bag. Also has a strap that appears from a pouch in the back so it can take some of the weight off your shoulder, love it!

Jenn- slingpack sounds perfect- can you tell me if it is the velocity 7?I think the size 6 won't fit my zoom if attached is 8" total depth. Thanks http://tamrac.com/welcome.htm

It's really not that wet in the cave.

Drip...............drip..................drip. (over a minute)

A baseball cap and a thin jacket will provide all of the protection you'll require.

Tuck the camera in the jacket until you see a photo op. The cap will provide protection when you shoot.

Our easterlies will dry you and the camera out within minutes of your exit.

Please enjoy one of our best attractions. :) :) :)

It's really not that wet in the cave.

Drip...............drip..................drip. (over a minute)

A baseball cap and a thin jacket will provide all of the protection you'll require.

Tuck the camera in the jacket until you see a photo op. The cap will provide protection when you shoot.

Our easterlies will dry you and the camera out within minutes of your exit.

Please enjoy one of our best attractions. :) :) :)

thank you Mr.Barbados- that is a from the source answer. Off topic- do you know of any feedback on the recently created Agapey Chocolate tour?

thank you Mr.Barbados- that is a from the source answer. Off topic- do you know of any feedback on the recently created Agapey Chocolate tour?

I'm sorry, but I do not know anything about Agapey.

I won't be back on the island until 1/3/12 for three months. I think they just started when I left last April. I'll see what I can find out on my return and report back.

Best holiday wishes to you! :) :) :)

I'm sorry, but I do not know anything about Agapey.

I won't be back on the island until 1/3/12 for three months. I think they just started when I left last April. I'll see what I can find out on my return and report back.

Best holiday wishes to you! :) :) :)

Thank you..safe travels. I could see wanting to return in January...winter brrrr

Jenn- slingpack sounds perfect- can you tell me if it is the velocity 7?I think the size 6 won't fit my zoom if attached is 8" total depth. Thanks http://tamrac.com/welcome.htm

Yes I bought the velocity 7x and I believe it should fit while attached to your camera, I know mine does but I don't remember the length of the zoom. I hope this helps!!

Archived