Meet and Mingle disappointment?

christiecruise

Thanks to all for the helpful information. As I mentioned in my original post, I was wondering if the limited and impersonal communication from the events coordinator is what the rest of you have experienced. To be honest, I did not realize that I was emailing with a land based coordinator who would not be involved with the event on the ship.

It makes much more sense after reading your replies. The bridge/behind the scenes tours were something that I had read about many times, so it seemed reasonable that they were offered if one asked. Thanks for the clarification.

Just trying to do a good job coordinating the M&M for my group! ;)

I wouldn't be too hopeful of getting a "behind the scenes tour" since that is being sold on some ships for a 55 dollar fee.

One thing that will make your M&G a better experience for all is do everything possible to make the officers feel welcome and don't let it turn into a complaint session. Inform everybody that they will have ample opportunities to speak to the officers at another time with their concerns.

They are there to welcome you and offer their assistance in making your cruise the best possible. Ask everyone to return their courtesy by attending and being polite.

I have been the "Meet and Greet" organizer on several cruises. You can always expect light refreshments, several officers to attend including the Captain. Attendance by CCers varies from cruise to cruise. The Captain of the Star has always attended and been very gracious and often seen about the ship during the cruise. A bridge tour has been offered frequently on the Star. The Captain on the Spirit on our cruise of Nov.6th to the 13th did not appear at the meet and greet and was rarely seen during the cruise. Our request for for a bridge tour was adamently and almost rudely refused by Prem who was in charge. I have forgotten his position but I believe he was the hotel director. A Meet and Greet is what you make it and can include cabin crawls, slot pulls and new found friends.

When we sailed on the Jewel last Feb we had a really great M&G, attended by lots of officers and entertainment staff. We also had a slot pull. Everyone had such a great time. No one felt they deserved anything else. On the last sea day we were invited to a bridge tour which was fantastic. This was icing on the cake. I think it really depends on the Captain and what he is able to do if he wants to.

I just read that Captain Lars is leaving the Spirit after the 12/11 cruise which I am on. I am sorry to hear he is going. I have read that he is a really nice person, I am sure the Spirit is sorry to see him go. I hope he is going on to better things. I do hope that he will attend this last M&G as us passengers really appreciate the efforts of the Captain.:o

When we sailed on the Jewel last Feb we had a really great M&G, attended by lots of officers and entertainment staff. We also had a slot pull. Everyone had such a great time. No one felt they deserved anything else. On the last sea day we were invited to a bridge tour which was fantastic. This was icing on the cake. I think it really depends on the Captain and what he is able to do if he wants to.

I just read that Captain Lars is leaving the Spirit after the 12/11 cruise which I am on. I am sorry to hear he is going. I have read that he is a really nice person, I am sure the Spirit is sorry to see him go. I hope he is going on to better things. I do hope that he will attend this last M&G as us passengers really appreciate the efforts of the Captain.:o

Captain Lars Bengtsson (formerly of The Pearl) becomes Master of The Spirit on December 18th. Captain Vanja Litovic is just finishing up his VERY FIRST rotation as Master of The Spirit. He has just been promoted to Captain about 3 months ago. I have sailed with both gentlemen and they are that: gentlemen. I am looking forward to being on The Spirit and sailing with Captain Lars one more time before The Spirit goes to Europe in April for the next several years.

I wouldn't be too hopeful of getting a "behind the scenes tour" since that is being sold on some ships for a 55 dollar fee.

I think since the OP said they had read about the bridge/behind the scenes tour many times. They may be thinking these are the same thing. I've seen a quite a few posts on CC where the poster has used the words behind the scenes tour when it was actually a bridge tour they were speaking about.

Incase this is what you are thinking OP, I will set the record straight. If I'm wrong and you know the difference maybe this will help someone else.

Bridge tour is something offered by the captain (his choice only) to some passengers on board. It can be offered to a M&G group and/or VIPs or those with special invites. They take you inside the bridge and thats it, someone from the bridge (in our case it was the 2nd in command) explains the workings of the bridge and shows the different equipment they use.

Behind the scenes tour is offered by the shorex department as an excursion. It is a charged tour that takes you to a lot of non-access places on the ship. We seen, the kitchens, garbage/recycling area, laundry area, freezers/food storage, some offices, a crew members cabin, the bridge, captains office, behind the stage in the theatre etc.

of the OP...

I am on the same roll call. No one on our roll calll "expects" a "behind the scenes" or a bridge tour. The OP was just asking questions of the CCs on the roll call & what possibilities were out there as she has never planned a

M & G before. Some expressed an interest in both & she is just trying to be the uberplanner that she is. She was looking for guidance from those

who have planned &/or attended M & G's or tours.

Thanks to OP for looking out for us:)

of the OP...

I am on the same roll call. No one on our roll calll "expects" a "behind the scenes" or a bridge tour. The OP was just asking questions of the CCs on the roll call & what possibilities were out there as she has never planned a

M & G before. Some expressed an interest in both & she is just trying to be the uberplanner that she is. She was looking for guidance from those

I really don't think the OP needed "defence", even after looking over the posts again, I'm not seeing anyone attacking the OP for asking. All I've seen was a lot of help with the exception of about 3 threads that were moving toward off topic where the questions were concerned.

Now the OP has the answers to go back to your roll call and give. The answers would be "you can't ask for a bridge tour, before hand" and "A behind the scenes tour is highly unlikely as it is something set out for a charge by the shorex dept"

Hey CCers,

I was fortunate to have been charged with the M & M for our Spirit cruise in late Dec.

A few weeks ago, I contacted my group event rep. to schedule our M & M, and got a pretty standard reply, fine. Have contacted again twice asking questions and asking for a bridge or behind the scenes tour.

It is disappointing to me that the response is so vague and broad, but I'm OK with that if that is everyone else's experience with NCL! So, your thoughts are appreciated.

Here is the last response that I sent/received:

"Hello Angela,

I'm looking forward to our CC meeting in Henry's Pub on Dec. 19th at 10AM! Would it be possible to schedule a Bridge Tour or Behind the Scenes Tour for our group? We have quite a few people interested if one of those is available."

Please check the Freestyle Daily for the times that this function is offer. These tours are subject to change and they are offer for a cost.

Also, I have several new CC members who would like to know what to expect at the Meet and Mingle. On my last voyage it was in the afternoon and only a few CCers attended. Will food and beverages be provided?

This is an informal meeting always a ship officer tries to be present at this meetings. if food is provided it will be at the ship discretion.

just wonder if this is the experience that I should expect? After reading extensively on CC, it seemed like the communication was usually more personal...?

Behind the scene tours are not often offered except to a few and if the are, yes, it will be listed in the Freestyle Daily. I am sorry the response was so generic. As for what to expect: we have had as few as a handful at our M&G and we have had 50 or more. You can expect a number of the officers to be there and you will be served coffee, juice and pastires. Have a great time and enjoy the cruise, with or without the tour. Let me also add, NCL does the best M&G of any line we have been on and been part of..

Nita

When we were in grand suite on Explorer of the Seas [other cruise line] we had a free bridge tour as suite guests. It's interesting but nothing to loose sleep over.

We also had a behind the scenes tour [also free] in the kitchen, and I LOVED it. Amazing to see hundreds of appetizers all looking the same on a loooooooong galley table. The bakery was to die for, fresh baked buns OMG. That's the one you want to ask for.

I guess I just misinterpeted a few earlier posts re: expecting perks or getting more than others just for being CCers or in a M & G as a bit negative & a touch hostile and as I knew the spirit in which the OP was asking, I did not want her to feel badly about asking a simple question as she had told us she was new to this. I do agree that most of the responses have been most helpful. If " in defense" was a poor choice of words, forgive me.

I guess I just misinterpeted a few earlier posts re: expecting perks or getting more than others just for being CCers or in a M & G as a bit negative & a touch hostile and as I knew the spirit in which the OP was asking, I did not want her to feel badly about asking a simple question as she had told us she was new to this. I do agree that most of the responses have been most helpful. If " in defense" was a poor choice of words, forgive me.

It might have been my post saying that I believe some people have some unhealthy expectations. . . I still continue to believe that as I've seen enough of these CC M&G on various cruise lines and what they expect. ..

Even with NCL which does a lot for M&G (and a lot more than I think they are obligated to) - most people believe that the /least/ they can do is have a few people(hopefully ship officers) show up and have a place to meet, a spread of crackers and refreshments, etc. . . I even have an issue with that. I've know family reunions get on with 100 people and they can't get a space to meet with refreshments for free either - so that is what I'm putting into perspective. . .

It also seems to be that the several people who arrange the M&G are expecting some elevated status for their cruise, and a few other things - whether for their own gain or for the M&G gain. I'm not saying all - I'm just pointing out that if you read enough of these, you can see where /some/ people are going with them. . .

Apologies if you don't like the connotation or what I'm alluding to but we all have seen enough of them to know better.

Because apparently some people believe that they should get more if they organize such events. This concept has almost gotten to the feeling that they deserve it and its a responsibility by the cruise line (not just NCL). I'm beginning to think its like those people who blackmail/threaten a bad review on yelp/chowhound/urbanspoon unless they get something from a hotel/proprietor. . .. .
The OP wasn't expecting a ship's tour, bridge tour or anything else for herself., Anthem. She wrote to the ship's coordinator: "Would it be possible to schedule a Bridge Tour or Behind the Scenes Tour for our group? We have quite a few people interested if one of those is available."

The OP wasn't expecting a ship's tour, bridge tour or anything else for herself., Anthem. She wrote to the ship's coordinator: "Would it be possible to schedule a Bridge Tour or Behind the Scenes Tour for our group? We have quite a few people interested if one of those is available."

Doesn't matter for herself or for the particular group. If you notice later in my post I referenced a group of people. The concept that the person/group both expect more seems to be readily prevalent is what I was getting at. And for the record, I'm not pointing out this particular poster (OP) or not - I'm saying that as a group the people of CC arranging these things, /some/ have expectations beyond what I would expect NCL to offer (down to even giving a space at all).

of the OP...

Thanks "thespiritmovesme". You are right, I like to be an uberplanner and want to do a good job for my first ever CC Meet and Mingle/Greet! I'm not out to arm twist NCL into giving us anything that is not normally afforded to CCers at a meet and greet. But by the same token, if our role call is interested in a bridge tour (which has been available to many other CC groups), then why not ask?

The point has been made several times in this thread that it is up to the staff on board and not the land based event coordinator - now I know and will take that info. back to my roll call.

I appreciate being able to ask questions on CC and thank you for the many helpful answers.

Thanks "thespiritmovesme". You are right, I like to be an uberplanner and want to do a good job for my first ever CC Meet and Mingle/Greet! I'm not out to arm twist NCL into giving us anything that is not normally afforded to CCers at a meet and greet. But by the same token, if our role call is interested in a bridge tour (which has been available to many other CC groups), then why not ask?

The point has been made several times in this thread that it is up to the staff on board and not the land based event coordinator - now I know and will take that info. back to my roll call.

I appreciate being able to ask questions on CC and thank you for the many helpful answers.

Whatever happens with your M&G, you are doing the best you can. You will enjoy The Spirit, She is a good ship. All the way forward on Deck 11, is the Bridge Viewing Room. You can not see all of The Bridge from there, but you can see quite a bit.

You will have Captain Lars Bengtsson on your cruise. He is a tall distinguished looking gentleman from Sweden. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise. I am looking forward to being on Her on the 15th of January.

Basically a Meet and Greet is a chance to meet other CC members on board and some Staff members. It is usually hosted by the Hotel Director and he introduces those Staff members presented. I do not know if the Captain will be present or not. A friend of mine will become Captain of The Spirit on the 18th December. He will just be coming back from vacation and has not been Master of The Spirit in several years. Captain Lars is a very funny man and a gentleman in every sense of the word. One of his favorite lines is: "It takes a Swede to run a Norwegian ship." I hope that you will enjoy your cruise. I am very much looking forward to mine on the Spirit beginning January 15th.

Is this Lars Bengtson who has been Captain of the Pearl? He is amazing. I am sailing on the Spirit again in May 2012 when she is in Europe.

OP: I have organized several Meet & Greets myself onboard the Norwegian Jewel and on the Norwegian Spirit. From experience the only thing the shoreside Group Coordinator does is work with the one on the ship to make sure there is space saved aside. After that it is up to the discretion of the senior staff onboard the ship as to how to proceed.

Frank Hassenwinkel on the Spirit went out of his way to get all the senior management in attendance at the Meet & Greet and arranged for some extras for the group but no bridge tour.

Next year I sailed with another HD (Edit: Prem K) on the same ship and the layout of the M&G was different although in the same location, less attended by the senior staff and by CCers alike.

This past M&G was well attended by senior management and the Captain of the vessel came too but I think that had something to do with our Hotel Director being the Director of Hotel Operations Fleetwide (Klaus).

At none of these were a bridge tour ever offered. I never asked for one either. I leave it up to their discretion. I have come to realize it depends on the Captain of the vessel. Captain Fafalios on the Norwegian Jewel is the only Captain who has ever extended a complimentary bridge tour to the CCers. When I was on the Jewel once and he wasn't the Captain, we didn't get a tour. Captain Fafalios is awesome! I've sailed with him quite a bit on the Jewel in different parts of the globe.

Anyway, bottom line... all NCL does for a M&G is give you the space. Coffee, pastries, etc are provided by the Hotel Department depending upon the Hotel Director on the ship. Anything else is extended to the group by that department onboard. Asking in advance will get you a negative response. Go with it and have a blast. Spend time with the CCers and be surprised if you get something more! :)

Is this Lars Bengtson who has been Captain of the Pearl? He is amazing. I am sailing on the Spirit again in May 2012 when she is in Europe.

Yes, it is. Yes, he is amazing. Depending on when you are sailing in May, he may be on. The current rotation is 10 weeks on board-10 weeks vacation subject to change. Your posting says that you have just been on The Spirit. Did you get to met Captain Vanja Litovic? Vanja is a very good friend of The Pearl's Staff Captain Zeljko Jurac. Vanja was just promoted to Captain a few months ago and The Spirit is his first ship.

One thing that will make your M&G a better experience for all is do everything possible to make the officers feel welcome and don't let it turn into a complaint session. .

That happened to me once...It was awful. because it was a couple CC members that turned what was supposed to be nice into a total embarassment, I will exclude details. But I felt the need to apologize to the HD after it was over.

Other M&M I attended were so drastically different, that it thankfully restored my faith.

That happened to me once...It was awful. because it was a couple CC members that turned what was supposed to be nice into a total embarassment, I will exclude details. But I felt the need to apologize to the HD after it was over.

Other M&M I attended were so drastically different, that it thankfully restored my faith.

That is so sad to hear. But it only ever takes a couple.

That is so sad to hear. But it only ever takes a couple.

Just remembering that and posting it gave me the same sick feeling in my gut.

I don't do well with aggressive, negativity...it literally makes me sick. It wasn't like these people were voicing concerns, it was an out and out attack...not good.

how sad..I know how you must have felt...it only takes a one or a few to "ruin" things....

We just did the Behind The Scenes Tour on the Gem. The tour was about $53 per person and they schedule it during the first few days at sea.

I can understand them not offering it for the M & M when everyone else has to pay for it except Platinum Latitudes members.

NCL does a nice job with their M & M's and really, that is all you can ask for. The quote below is exactly right.

Anyway, bottom line... all NCL does for a M&G is give you the space. Coffee, pastries, etc are provided by the Hotel Department depending upon the Hotel Director on the ship. Anything else is extended to the group by that department onboard. Asking in advance will get you a negative response. Go with it and have a blast. Spend time with the CCers and be surprised if you get something more!

Just remembering that and posting it gave me the same sick feeling in my gut.

I don't do well with aggressive, negativity...it literally makes me sick. It wasn't like these people were voicing concerns, it was an out and out attack...not good.

I have also experienced some negativism, and have moved quickly to squelch it. Even to the point of rudely interrupting the person and asking them to be quiet while I spoke. It takes some bold moves to change the tone of the meeting, but it can be done --- sometimes !!

Archived