Just back from 11/19 Grand Princess -

cookok

Grand Princess, 11/19/11 Eastern Caribbean: We had balcony cabin C718, very nice cabin, partially covered larger balcony. I'd read on the boards that the cabins looked tired and worn. I scrutinized the cabin for wear and tear and could not find it. Asked my wife if the cabin looked tired to her and she said no. Everything was in order and working and very clean. We've been in a Caribbean Princess cabin just a few doors down 2 years ago and both cabins seemed the same. I do like the layout of these cabins with kind of a separate dressing and bath area not directly open to the cabin itself. We were quite pleased with our cabin and Dragos, the Steward, kept it quite nice for us.

I also scrutinized the ship itself for wear and tear and looking tired. Still could not find it. I did see maintenance workers constantly keeping her fresh looking by painting and sanding and varnishing and polishing, almost amazing. My house should be so clean and kept up! The 5/11 remodeling of the commons areas is super! The Piazza area is great. We frequented it often for the International Cafe and twice for Alfredo's Pizza. And just to sit and listen to soothing music, dancing and such. The HC buffet is immaculate and works and flows very well. We ate most breakfasts and lunches there. And of course a walk thru often just to pick up a snack or taste of this or that. When we booked directly with Princess we'd requested a table for two and that's what we got. Now that was a pleasing surprise. We were very pleased with the ship in general.

The food was equal to the food on all of our 13 cruises so far. Some very good, some so so good and some just fine. We did not starve by any means and enjoyed the food and dining and variety. Alfredo's Pizza was particularly good we thot and ate there twice. Don't miss the sea days only Pub Lunches in the Crown Grill, no extra charge. The fish n chips and the bangers and mash are great. A simple menu of like 5 things that did change both sea days we had this cruise so glad we went both times. I'd also enjoyed the Pub Lunch on the Caribbean Princess 2 years ago. On Italian night in the dining room they were also making a special hand made pasta dish in the center of the dining room that was awesome and probably the best thing I had at dinner. So look for those types of things.

Just outside The One5 Club on deck 15 are two very nice and comfortable sitting/napping/reading areas with plush chairs and couches and greenery and covered from the sun. Also I enjoyed the Conservatory area with nice chairs that look out to sea and more private. I liked the way the ship was set up with various and different areas to sit and relax and eat. Nice plush lounge chairs around the Conservatory pool also but we didn't have a chance to enjoy them this cruse. Next one! I found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. The entertainment was good enough and on par with the other cruises we've been on thus far. Our best entertainment was on the MSC Orchestra a couple years ago. Good ship too. We enjoyed the cruise and still the Grand Princess is Grand. I haven't had a bad cruise yet!

Grand Princess, 11/19/11 Eastern Caribbean: We had balcony cabin C718, very nice cabin, partially covered larger balcony. I'd read on the boards that the cabins looked tired and worn. I scrutinized the cabin for wear and tear and could not find it. Asked my wife if the cabin looked tired to her and she said no. Everything was in order and working and very clean. We've been in a Caribbean Princess cabin just a few doors down 2 years ago and both cabins seemed the same. I do like the layout of these cabins with kind of a separate dressing and bath area not directly open to the cabin itself. We were quite pleased with our cabin and Dragos, the Steward, kept it quite nice for us.

I also scrutinized the ship itself for wear and tear and looking tired. Still could not find it. I did see maintenance workers constantly keeping her fresh looking by painting and sanding and varnishing and polishing, almost amazing. My house should be so clean and kept up! The 5/11 remodeling of the commons areas is super! The Piazza area is great. We frequented it often for the International Cafe and twice for Alfredo's Pizza. And just to sit and listen to soothing music, dancing and such. The HC buffet is immaculate and works and flows very well. We ate most breakfasts and lunches there. And of course a walk thru often just to pick up a snack or taste of this or that. When we booked directly with Princess we'd requested a table for two and that's what we got. Now that was a pleasing surprise. We were very pleased with the ship in general.

The food was equal to the food on all of our 13 cruises so far. Some very good, some so so good and some just fine. We did not starve by any means and enjoyed the food and dining and variety. Alfredo's Pizza was particularly good we thot and ate there twice. Don't miss the sea days only Pub Lunches in the Crown Grill, no extra charge. The fish n chips and the bangers and mash are great. A simple menu of like 5 things that did change both sea days we had this cruise so glad we went both times. I'd also enjoyed the Pub Lunch on the Caribbean Princess 2 years ago. On Italian night in the dining room they were also making a special hand made pasta dish in the center of the dining room that was awesome and probably the best thing I had at dinner. So look for those types of things.

Just outside The One5 Club on deck 15 are two very nice and comfortable sitting/napping/reading areas with plush chairs and couches and greenery and covered from the sun. Also I enjoyed the Conservatory area with nice chairs that look out to sea and more private. I liked the way the ship was set up with various and different areas to sit and relax and eat. Nice plush lounge chairs around the Conservatory pool also but we didn't have a chance to enjoy them this cruse. Next one! I found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. The entertainment was good enough and on par with the other cruises we've been on thus far. Our best entertainment was on the MSC Orchestra a couple years ago. Good ship too. We enjoyed the cruise and still the Grand Princess is Grand. I haven't had a bad cruise yet!

Glad u had a great Cruise and thanks for the review ,we sail on The Grand in Feb.2012, Do they still have the seafood buffet if so what night...thanks.

We were on this cruise also, and right down the hall from you in C726. Loved your review and totally agree with it all. We had a great time, and will be back on the Grand on Dec 10 for one more week. A couple of things I would add - I found the crew to be some of the nicest, most pleasant, helpful people I have ever encountered on a ship. The CD staff (in particular Lisa Marie, Alisha, and Sonja and Deputy CD Stu) were the best. And, the waiters in Crooners (Marco, Brian and Cesar) were fabulous. Spent all my evenings there as Arny G, the pianist/vocalist in Crooners is a super entertainer. Looking forward to going back on Dec 10. It will be like visiting family or good friends, that's how much I loved the crew.

Thank you very much. Since we are on the Grand for the Christmas cruise this year I've been spending a lot of time on the boards and was hoping for a recent review. Your timing was perfect. Good recommendation on the Pub Lunch. Glad you had a good time.

Thank you so much for the positive review of the Grand. We leave tomorrow morning and will be sailing on Saturday, so your timing could not be better!

I appreciate you taking the time to list the comfy seating areas as I have never been on the Grand, only the larger ships. I did not know about that area by the One5 and will definitely look into that.

Thank you for sharing :)

Thanks also for your positive review. We are going on the Grand in January and I was half expecting a vibrating rust bucket with non-working toilets and bad food based on some previous postings. Not to minimize legitimate complaints, but if one retains a positive attitude as you have, I am sure that almost everyone can have a great time on any cruise/ship. I am one of the most critical people that I know when I travel but when looking at the price/value ratio of cruises I have purchased I find it hard to be unsatisfied. I mean we are paying under 750 per person for a nice balcony room for a week with food, transport, and entertainment. In the morning we can sit on our balcony and have a room service breakfast included and enjoy an 'ocean view' room for the week. Certainly I have some expectations for my experience but I think some people have to sit back and look at what they are receiving for their dollars compared to more traditional vacations to temper their negative outlooks. JMHO

Thanks for the review and you have such a great outlook. I'm with you - I've never really had a bad cruise either. I just can't bring myself to think of being out to sea on a ship as a bad thing. Sure I've had one or two that had some issues but I was still cruising and love to cruise.

cookok,

We are so glad you liked your cabin - C718. You came on board as we were disembarking! That was our cabin for the 15 day transatlantic.We must agree with you about Dragos. And we were sure to put that compliment about him in our surveys. In fact, we can honestly say, he was the best cabin steward we have EVER had (and we are Elite). He kept that cabin and balcony spotless. That was the first cabin in his section, and it was obvious when you looked from the balcony and saw the glass under the railing. He cleaned that glass EVERY day. The cabin next door was obviously being cleaned by someone else.

We had also been on the May transatlantic and were so pleased with the improvements to the ship.

Fran and Len

Hi ! Were where you lucky enough to find the cruise price for a balcony/7 day cruise for under $750...?! That's just what we are looking for to enjoy some rest and relaxation after the holiday rush .

We tend to book some 'destination' cruises where we want a specific ship or itinerary and some 'lets's get some sun' cruises. This was a lets get some sun cruise. We were looking in August for a Jan/Feb getaway in Carribbean and used the Princess past cruisers "sale" that was going on. By booking with AMEX Platinum card we were given a two category upgrade so the BB Cabin on Caribe was like 749. Not to rub it in but we have frree air on SWA, hotel at Embassy Suites the night before, and 300 of onboard credits from Princess cruise credits and Shareholder benefits.

We used AMEX points to pay for the cruise. One small benefit of traveling alot for business.

We tend to book some 'destination' cruises where we want a specific ship or itinerary and some 'lets's get some sun' cruises. This was a lets get some sun cruise. We were looking in August for a Jan/Feb getaway in Carribbean and used the Princess past cruisers "sale" that was going on. By booking with AMEX Platinum card we were given a two category upgrade so the BB Cabin on Caribe was like 749. Not to rub it in but we have frree air on SWA, hotel at Embassy Suites the night before, and 300 of onboard credits from Princess cruise credits and Shareholder benefits.

We used AMEX points to pay for the cruise. One small benefit of traveling alot for business.

Wow very nice , Enjoy your Cruise.

We too are sailing on the Christmas cruise. Can you tell me which nights were formal nights?

Being on the Xmas cruise means the formal nights may not be the same as on the non-holiday cruises. Chances are Xmas evening will be one of the formal nights.

Archived