RCL Parking in the "Whale Lot"

HazeGray

Any New Orleans residents out there, I have a parking question:

I received notice today from RCL that the Voyager passengers will be parking in the "Whale Lot". After looking on Google Maps, I believe it is the large open lot between the Riverwalk and Julia Street. The directions that they provided seem a bit disjointed, they have you going along “Port of New Orleans Place” and making a left into the parking lot. But if I am correct about the location of the lot, it would be a right turn from “Convention Center Blvd”, since that is the only entrance to the lot.

If that is the case would it not be easier to drive south on Poydras to Convention Center, and the make a left into the parking lot at the end of Notre Dame St.

There's a better route.

Instead of taking the Poydras Street exit, take the Tchoupitouas Street exit (that's the last exit before the Mississippi River bridge) and keep going straight. That street dead-ends on Convention Center Blvd.

If you are going to the terminal to drop off luggage, turn right, go to Henderson Street, turn left and cross the RR tracks and you will be on Port Of NO Blvd. Drop off luggage and keep going on Port Of NO Blvd. to Julia Street (first cross street you come to). Take a left to Convention Center Blvd. and then right. The whale lot (they call it that because there is a huge mural of blue whales on the wall of the Hilton next door) will be on the right. That'sthe only entrance.

If you are going directl to the whale lot, turn left on Convention Center Blvd. instead of right. The lot is about five blocks down.

Taking Poydras to the lot looks OK on the map, but Notre Dame is one way going the wrong way, and making a U-turn further down can be a little difficult.

Archived