Curious could someone go on a cruise to and from NYC if they did not get off the ship

Rahi

The following is info from ncl's website:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport OR proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo) or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, original certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad. Baptismal paper and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE is treated as if they are getting off the ship. You can not just promise to stay onboard.

With that said, I do not think you need one for this cruise anyways.

Exactly. Whatever documentation you would need to get off the ship, you need to have in order to board in the first place.

The key issue here is that a passport is not required. Just a birth certificate and state issued Photo ID/drivers license.

Although, personally I would never leave the country without a passport these days anyway. Any type of emergency would mean that you would need a passport. if you had to leave the ship and fly back home.

Archived