Alaska by scotter

b7440

Taking my first cruise since needing a scotter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I use a walker to get around, but I am getting a scotter because of the amount of walking. will be on NCL Pearl 1 st week of August. yes we o have a HC room.

I think the most important thing to do when you are new to using a scooter is to practice in an area with little to no pedestrian or vehicle traffic. The scooters in stores are much larger and slower than the scooter you will purchase. You should use it enough to be able to use it safely (for yourself and others) in crowds. As far as Alaska goes, it is great. The ADA is in effect and there are curb cuts and accessible hotel rooms.

My husband uses a power chair and scooter and we have been to Alaska twice, once on Princess and once on Royal. In Skagway take the 40 mile White Mountain Pass Railroad trip. The board all wheelchairs and scooters in a separate car that has a lift and best of all it's right next to where the ship docks. In Juneau we went to see Mendenhall Glacier and the Fish Hatchery but we had to use a collapsible wheelchair for these tours as they had no lifts. You will have a great time and see so many wonderful things in Alaska. We can't wait to go back a third time.

My DH uses a scooter. In Juneau and Skagway we rented a car and put the scooter in the trunk and away we went. The trip up the Alaska Highway into the Canadian Yukon to Carcross was breath taking. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Rental car in Skagway was withing walking/scooter riding distance. In Juneau, the rental company picked us up at the port and we took the driver back to the office to fill out papers. We were able to leave the car in the parking garage downtown at the end of our day where it was picked up by the company.

Archived