Windsor -Racing in Ascot

jspirit

Just found out the one day we plan to stay in Windsor post-cruise, the horse races will be taking place.

Would that be an extra bonus and fun time to be there, or just the opposite- is it better to go pre-cruise and avoid all the crowds?

I would love a chance to spot any of the Royals. Do they usually attend?

I am referring to July 2012. Hoping the local experts will offer opinions. Thank you!

Windsor & Ascot are two different race-courses.

Ascot - about 8 miles from Windsor - is the internationally-known course, but "Royal Ascot" is in June.

Best-known horse event in Windsor is the Royal Windsor Horse Show, but that's in May.

In July there aren't any major race days at either, so probably not worth attending & I doubt they'd cause any disruption to your visit to Windsor.

http://www.ascot.co.uk/?page=Fixture_List

http://www.windsor-racecourse.co.uk/the-races/fixtures.html

JB :)

Thanks all for your replies!

JB, judging from your link, it will be called " Betfair" . We are able to get the same rate at the Windsor MacDonald for before our cruise or after, so price wise same deal. If this is not such a special race weekend, then we should be fine getting into restaurants for lunch and dinner, as well as traffic situation heading to Heathrow on July 22 between 11 and noon? Don't want to get caught in heavy traffic on what would otherwise be a normally quiet Sunday.

So, based on what you three have said, this would not have much impact ?

Your opinions are so much appreciated! Thanks again.

Betfair is just the sponsor of Ascot that weekend.

Polo in Great Windsor Park, so expect a few more Rollers & Bentleys & such that weekend. :rolleyes:

And a 1/2-marathon along the Thames towpath on the sunday morning.

But nothing I can see that will impact your time in Windsor.

And there are several routes to Heathrow, so even an unlikely traffic problem can be circumvented.

Saturday evenings restaurants do tend to book-out, so mebbe ask your hotel for a recommendation or even a restaurant booking. There are a couple right on the River by the Windsor/Eton bridge, just a few hundred yards from your hotel. Never dined there.

Don't know your hotel, but its in a great location.

Betfair is just the sponsor of Ascot that weekend.

Polo in Great Windsor Park, so expect a few more Rollers & Bentleys & such that weekend. :rolleyes:

And a 1/2-marathon along the Thames towpath on the sunday morning.

But nothing I can see that will impact your time in Windsor.

And there are several routes to Heathrow, so even an unlikely traffic problem can be circumvented.

Saturday evenings restaurants do tend to book-out, so mebbe ask your hotel for a recommendation or even a restaurant booking. There are a couple right on the River by the Windsor/Eton bridge, just a few hundred yards from your hotel. Never dined there.

Don't know your hotel, but its in a great location.

Hope one day I can help you out with something. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks all for your replies!

JB, judging from your link, it will be called " Betfair" . We are able to get the same rate at the Windsor MacDonald for before our cruise or after, so price wise same deal. If this is not such a special race weekend, then we should be fine getting into restaurants for lunch and dinner, as well as traffic situation heading to Heathrow on July 22 between 11 and noon? Don't want to get caught in heavy traffic on what would otherwise be a normally quiet Sunday.

So, based on what you three have said, this would not have much impact ?

Your opinions are so much appreciated! Thanks again.

I know Windssor well having grown up there. Recently we made a return visit and stayed at the Windsor Macdonald . It is a new, comfortable, modern boutique hotel but for our taste, had very little natural lighting in the public rooms. If you have a room at the front then you will have a great view of the castle and/or the ancient Guildhall. The hotel does offer a limited restaurant menu but there is plenty of choice for eating out in Windsor. Opposite the hotel are two traditional pubs serving meals, both having a great atmosphere. There are also the usual pizza chains, etc.

As mentioned by John Bull, there is a choice of routes to Heathrow so it is unlikely that you would encounter travel problems. Enjoy your stay!

I know Windssor well having grown up there. Recently we made a return visit and stayed at the Windsor Macdonald . It is a new, comfortable, modern boutique hotel but for our taste, had very little natural lighting in the public rooms. If you have a room at the front then you will have a great view of the castle and/or the ancient Guildhall. The hotel does offer a limited restaurant menu but there is plenty of choice for eating out in Windsor. Opposite the hotel are two traditional pubs serving meals, both having a great atmosphere. There are also the usual pizza chains, etc.

As mentioned by John Bull, there is a choice of routes to Heathrow so it is unlikely that you would encounter travel problems. Enjoy your stay!

Great to have more input. Thanks and glad you enjoyed your stay.

Archived