Carnival or Royal?

Melody80

Im not looking to bash on company over another. Im looking for honest pros and cons for each.

Im trying to plan my first cruise. Both Carnivals Ecstasy and Royals Splendour Of The Seas are available to us.

There will be 4 young couples total booking the cruise. No children.

RC and Carnival are so much alike, it's really a toss up. Both of these ships are older and I'm assuming the prices, sailing dates etc are comparable.

Both lines have good food and service. Carnival's rooms are bigger. The only difference I've noticed is Carnival has better entertainment, especially late night entertainment.

You won't go wrong with either.

I was disappointed with Royal Carribian. They didnt keep us informed as to the daily events like Carnival does. They misplaced our luggage, didnt deliver our bill and were very lax in providing the daily newsletter. We feel we missed alot.

:cool:

Just remember, one persons idea of being kept informed is another persons absolute nightmare of having to listen to blaring announcements over a loudspeaker.

All cruiselines keep pax informed via newsletters. I wish everyone would just read them and whomever is yacking over the intercom would put a sock in it!:mad:

well this is my view of the ships.Carnival is nice,cheaper and there are more things to do for kids under 18.The food is okay, not the best. The rooms are bigger,yes. Now Royal is very very nice,with higher prices,great food and lots of pools.Carnivals ships are decently small, but if you want big go with Royal.You will tend to find younger kids both on Carnival and Royal, but Royal lets you drink and gamble if you are 18,whereas Carnival only lets you gamble at 18. I would say both ships are nice, it just depends on what you are looking for.

we really like both cruise lines..we have sailed the ecstasy once and just got back a few weeks ago from the RCCL Grandeur of the seas!!We like them both..The foods great on both, the service is wonderful..but i think that RCCL would be a nicer ship then the ecstasy because the ship has 60 style decor..but we would go back on either ship any day!!It just depends what you like!

Melody 80, you requested no bashing, so I will refrain, although tempted. We just returned from our first Carnival cruise on the Conquest...after seven cruises on Royal Caribbean (and one on Celebrity). You should know we went with Carnival only because I was lucky enough to win a raffle. My wife and I thought, what a great way to see what Carnival is all about.

In our eyes, Carnival does not come close to Royal. Food was substandard, the ship's layout confining (Royal ships' common areas look out EVERYWHERE), the Conquest lacks intimate lounges, service not quite to the high standards of Royal...I could go on and on, but won't. Maybe this sounds like bashing, yet I acknolwedge as Carnival has many fans, likely is more affordable, and yes, the cabins seem larger. But now, after our experience, this decision is a no-brainer. Royal Caribbean should be your choice.

Carnival is my first choice; we found the food and entertainment to be better, and there was definitely more nightlife than on the RCI cruises we took. The way I look at it, if it's a port intensive itinerary, I'd do Royal Caribbean (if the price is lower than a comparable Carnival cruise). If there are more sea days, we would go with Carnival -- more to keep us busy and happy during the day AND night. On our last RCI cruise, the shows were very poorly attended -- we couldn't believe it. You could walk in after the show started and get a seat right up front. Carnival's shows are generally packed -- get there early to get a good seat. I think that says something about the entertainment on Carnival.

I agree with Cruiemom2 on just about all her points.

We just got back from the 3-27 Adventure of the Seas. The ship is absolutely tops, A-1. Crew and CD--great., The entertainment was spotty--Beatlemania the best I've seen, juggler, comedian very good, but CCL has more and more consistently good entertainment--I agree you could always get a good seat without a hastle on the Adventure--One plus for RCI though, they don't do the pre-cruise bingo where you have to go in early and sit through the bingo just to get a seat as on CCL. I hate the bingo --even though I own CCL stock and it's a big money maker---they keep way too much of the pot.

The food was just okay on the Adventure--CCL much, much better and greater variety, especially with all the different stations on the Lido at lunchtime.

We did not have sushi at any time on the Adventure.

The balcony cabins are about the same size., RCI doesn't give you the basket of toiletries as CCL does, and you have to ask for robes unless you're a Platinum C & A member, where CCL puts them in all outside cabins.

Overall, if the itineraries were equal, I'd go with CCL. We're really looking forward to the Liberty in the Med--Great new ship with a great itinerary and a lot of fun too!;) PS--the Aventure had only one midnight comedy show--CCL always has at least 2, sometimes 3 of them--a plus for CCL

have been on both, but I much prefer Carnival to Royal, due to the cabin size.

I about freaked out at how tiny my cabin was on Monarch. And then there was the annoying ball bearing rolling noise all night....

In our eyes, Carnival does not come close to Royal. Food was substandard.

I just came off Victory and the food was excellent. Even my very picky dad thought so. The food was better than my Celebrity Constellation cruise, which is always tooted for their good food. And of all the reviews I've read, and they've been many, more passengers seem to be disappointed with RCI's food.

I have cruised both, and like either. The RCCL had more things to do (rock climbing wall, ice skating rink), but we never used any of those options anyway. Royal's dining room was way more formal, and not as fun as Carnival. In the end we stopped going to the dining room on Royal. On Carnival the waiters keep you entertained, and it is just a 'fun' experience.

I guess our experience was that Royal is more classy, Carnival more fun. Both are good in their own way.

Really liked the ship, the itinerary, and the cruisers we met on board.

Seemed like a much more "fun" ship than the other RCI's we've been on.

Not that they weren't fun, but just not up to what CCL offers on its newest ships.;)

I guess our experience was that Royal is more classy, Carnival more fun. Both are good in their own way.

I would agree with MissChievous 100%. Royal ships look so much classier but we've had more fun on Carnival. Especially the nightlife. We've been on both the Splendour and the Ecstasy. I wouldn't hesitate to go on either one again. We had a blast on the Splendour because of the people that we were with but the nightlife was non existent. Carnival's entertainment wowed us on the Ecstasy but the Splendour's decor definitely is much more impressive than the Ecstasy's. Depending on your ages, we are 39 and 42, I would actually vote for the Ecstasy for a first timer.

That said, any cruise is better than being at work! ;)

Julie

Its really about indiviudal tastes. See, I found Carnival to have a better night life and omre choices for me to do than what was offered on Royal. At night I found myself quite board on the Voyager. I also thought the food was to be about the same. Dining room on Royal is more formal in decor but not with the people. (one guy wore a tee shirt with the tux imprinted on the front on formal night--so that too is about the same as you find on Carnival.

I've sailed both and found very little difference between the two. Yes, Carnival has larger cabins. On our vacations we spend very little time in the cabin so that isn't a biggie. I'd say food is pretty close to a toss-up with Carnival having a slight edge. One of Carnival's selling points was serving lobster. I'm not a big fan of lobster.

We've mostly sailed Carnival because of convenience, timing and price.

I'd find the trip that gets you to places you want to go at a time and price which meets your goals.

This is very much of individual taste. Many say there are few differences but IME I do not agree.

I have sailed on RCI 45 times and CCL twice. I guess that makes it clear whom I enjoy the most. Price is important but I would rather take fewer cruises and enjoy the ones I do take. Time and money are too scarce to spend them on vacations I do not enjoy.

This is very much of individual taste. Many say there are few differences but IME I do not agree.

I have sailed on RCI 45 times and CCL twice. I guess that makes it clear whom I enjoy the most. Price is important but I would rather take fewer cruises and enjoy the ones I do take. Time and money are too scarce to spend them on vacations I do not enjoy.

I agree with Caviargal, EXCEPT that I am on the other end of the spectrum. I have cruised Carnival 17 times, and RCL twice. LOL...I guess that makes it as clear whom I enjoy the most.

Spoilt

Carnival is my first choice; we found the food and entertainment to be better, and there was definitely more nightlife than on the RCI cruises we took. The way I look at it, if it's a port intensive itinerary, I'd do Royal Caribbean (if the price is lower than a comparable Carnival cruise). If there are more sea days, we would go with Carnival -- more to keep us busy and happy during the day AND night. On our last RCI cruise, the shows were very poorly attended -- we couldn't believe it. You could walk in after the show started and get a seat right up front. Carnival's shows are generally packed -- get there early to get a good seat. I think that says something about the entertainment on Carnival.

Wanted to let you know that on Royal if you have 2nd dinner then the show was before your meal. This was a problem for us because we were back from port and wanted to relax before dinner. We like to come back from ports late, take a shower and get ready for dinner. In order to do the show we would have to be ready at the same time people were for early dinner.

a little tired, want to lay around--Try Holland America--or Celebrity--but if you still have a little life in you, and can stay up past nine pm--go with CCL.

Yes the food is much better on CCL--quality and variety.;)

Here is what I see as being the biggest difference between the two cruise lines. I am by no means an expert, nor am I a travel agent; but I have over 10 Carnival voyages under my belt and over 15 on Royal Caribbean.

First and foremost, I believe Royal Caribbean tends to have more "active" things to do on the ship on days at sea. My husband and I don't have kids and we are both into sports. We enjoy speding our free time playing competative volleyball, scuba diving and going to the gym. Although Carnival has tons of activities planned throughout the day, not ALL ships offer active things to do out on deck while at sea. Most Royal Caribbean ships have adult only pool areas, rock climbing walls, sports activities like basketball and volleyball and large workout areas, besides hairy chest contests, napkin folding and port lectures. Some, but not ALL Carnival ships, have these types of activities. I reasliz this sort of thing may not be important to many people, but if you have older kids or you consider yourself an active person, you'll be much happier on a ship with these type of amenities.

If you are going on a port intensive cruise, and won't spend more than a day at sea, then this may not even be an issue. I personally prefer a more port intensive itinerary, as I don't like to sit around on the ship all day searching for things to do.

I agree with gsb - but it also I think can depend on the length of the cruise and the itinerary. I've done 7 days cruises out of Galveston on both RCI and Elation, both fall cruises. RCI was more restful and had generally older cruisers, and the decor was more subdued. I thought food and entertainment were equal, although RCI's individual entertainers were much better. CCL was much livelier, not out of hand but definitely more late night activity. My 24 year old daughter loved CCL, even though there weren't many singles her age on the ship. The CCL rooms were definitely bigger, especially the bathrooms. I loved both cruises - if you want to have a good time, you'll have a good time! If you want to complain, there will almost always be things you can complain about - on both cruises I was amazed at how a few people could get so out of sorts about the littlest things! Avoid such people as much as possible, and remember that you could be back at work!!

Archived