Snorkeling?

coiran

I don't know if the beach has another name. When my wife and our friends first went to the beach they had had difficulty because Renee, who they booked an excursion with, had surgery and was unable to be there. A gate security guard recommended they "go to the beach at the airport" because he heard the snorkeling there was good. They flagged down a cab and the driver knew exactly where to take them. It's right near the runway.

• 2 weeks later...

We tried to book a snorkeling trip with Renee for January and she's booked up. Does anyone have a suggestion for another snorkel operator?

Otherwise, I heard Airport Beach is good for snorkeling - are there lockers around that we could lock up our belongings while we are snorkeling?

Snorkeling is easy on Bonaire. So is diving. All the sites are marked with large yellow rocks by the side of the road. And, basically one whole side of the island (the side you'll dock on) is a good snorkel.

But, for the best, take a water taxi to Klein Bonaire and go to No Name Beach. It's about $10 and they run fairly often. Beware -- bring anything you need with you. Last time we were there there were no facilities whatsoever.

If you have your own equipment, you really don't need a guide. Heck the snorkeling right at the pier, in front of the DIVI shop is great.

We'll be there again in 11 days. Can't wait!

10X,

Thanks for all the great info!! Especially regarding snorkeling on the island.

I have a few quesions if you don't mind my asking.:)

1.Do you have to buy a tag to snorkel at the airport beach or the area by the cruise ship dock? The Marine park's website states that you have to buy a tag if you are going to snorkel pretty much anywhere on the island. It sounds like the whole island's shores are condsider part of the Marine Park.

I am a little confused about this issue. :confused:

2.You stated that the beach at the airport is walkable. How far would you say it is from the cruise ship dock? 1 mile...2mi's...or more? Are there side walks? Is it free to get in?

The reason I'm asking is not so much as to save the 20.00 RT cab fare...it's more because DH and like to walk....if it is reasonable to do so. I consider reasonable under 2 miles...especially in the caribbean heat!

3.Do you know the name of the bar by the cruise ship dock that you had a couple drinks in? How were the prices?

I guess that's it...for now anyway.:)

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

My wife and friends did not have to purchase a marine park tag for snorkleing at the beach. No one ever bothered them either. I know you are supposed to get one but I think they are more concerned with divers because there are so many of them. I know I had to purchase a one day scuba pass before I could dive. $10.

I'm not too sure how far the walk is, but I would say a couple of miles at least. Go here and you can see a picture of our ship taken from the beach. It might give you an idea of how far it is. My wife talked to someone at the ship who did walk it both ways.

http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com/gallery/1343937

Sorry, but it wasn't me who had a drink in a bar near the ship. I have gout and can drink little to none. Two drinks on a 7 day cruise is about my limit and I always have those onboard.

Denny

10X,

Would you ask your wife how the entrance into the water was at Windsock (airport) beach? I have read that a lot of the shore entrances are made up of coral or rock. This will pose a problem for DH and I being as we have full fins. We don't want to have to purchase Aqua socks/booties and open back fins for this one snorkeling stop. Our full fins have been fine for snorkeling on all of the other islands we have been to.

I know there are spots we can go off a dock down a ladder if needed...but I was hoping we could snorkel from the shore/beach.

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

My wife uses full foot fins as well and did not wear any water shoes, aqua socks, etc. while there. She said it wasn't really the smoothest in and out she's ever had but she wasn't cut up, scraped up, or in injured in any other way during entry/exit. She said she did not need to wear her water shoes on the beach either.

Denny

cactusrose,

I joined the thread within days of booking the cruise in October. Our photo is on the SUNSETS website that Maurice has put together.

Wow, 31 nights, I can't believe it. I never thought we could do a cruise like this but the price was outstanding and the timing was perfect, coming just a few months after I retire (at the ripe old age of 59).

I think we are more excited about this cruise than the back-to-back cruises we have in Jan/Feb 07 on the Crown Princess.

Denny

My wife said there are a few small trees for shade, but not many because the beach is quite small. She is one to head for shade when not in the water and she was happy with what was available. She said they hung their towels on the trees while they were in the water.

This picture was taken from the beach and will give you some idea of trees and shade.

Denny

We were at Bonaire on Sea Princess last Tuesday and thanks to 10X and others posting on this board, we had a WONDERFULLY FANTASTIC day snorkeling!!! (Next day was Aruba, & anything after Bonaire would be a disappointment!)

First we walked from pier a block or so to Divi Flamingo resort (turn right leaving pier) where we went down to beach & snorkeled around the rocky point where the umbrellas & chairs are located. The water was so calm & beautiful!! We got a few beers and decided to check out Windsock.

Since we couldn't get a taxi at Divi and our friends really wanted to go elsewhere, we decided to stay at Flamingo & they were going to rent a scooter; however our friends walked back to pier & got a taxi-van, picked us up (literally from the water) and we 4 rode down to Windsock -- the taxi-van came back to pick us up 1.5 hr later -- cost only $4 pp each way.

A bit further down the beach was the Princess "Donkey Beach" excursion and in that group was another couple we hung out with all week. When we showed up, they were surprised and laughed how they'd paid $49pp and should have gone with us that day!! Snorkeling was great there too.

Yes. there are a number of small trees along the beach -- we hung our towels & Tshirts over some branches -- we had taken some beers in our little leaky cooler, so after our snorkel, enjoyed the beer under the shade of the tree.

We are ready to fly to Bonaire & stay at Divi Flamingo or Plaza resort!!!

• 1 month later...

So is there any restrooms, bars, changing rooms on Windsock/Airport beach?

I really want to go there, but I'm sure hubby will be all snorkled out by the time we get to this port and will just want to lie in the sun and drink a couple of beers.

My wife said there are a few small trees for shade, but not many because the beach is quite small. She is one to head for shade when not in the water and she was happy with what was available. She said they hung their towels on the trees while they were in the water.

This picture was taken from the beach and will give you some idea of trees and shade.

Denny

Denny,

Would you please email me at: susuw@cox.net

I have a millon questions I'd like to ask you. LOL

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Archived