GCT's Romance of the Rhine and Mosel in September

Capeduo

Capeduo, it looks like no one else from the Board will be there with you!

We did the same trip in September of last year and enjoyed every minute of it. We have also done the Great Rivers of Europe itinerary and, in comparison, liked the Mosel more. The weather was ideal and we had no problems with water levels in the rivers although there was much discussion about that before we left.

I am sure that you will have a wonderful trip and will provide us all with a report upon your return. It would not take much for me to repeat that itinerary although there are still many rivers to cruise and countries to visit that we have not yet seen.

Clarence:D

I would like to do that cruise, but not this year. I already have another booked for this year, Eastern Europe to the Black Sea, Aug. 28. I would like to hear about your cruise when you get back. I read somebody else's, probably Clarence's some time ago and decided that I would love that itineray. I saw the Rhine last summer on the Great Rivers trip and it' so scenic.

Carole and Capeduo,

If you think that the Rhine River is scenic you will be astonished at the beauty of the Mosel River and surrounding countryside! The small towns are picturesque and less crowded than such Rhine cities as Rudesheim (which is NOT a stop on the Mosel itinerary) and the home-hosted dinner is an absolute treat!

You will be warmly greeted by the Mayor, given a tour of the family wine cellar and served an authentic German meal in the family dining room. Learning a few words of German from a phrase book before you go will endear you to the family although there will always be one of the younger members nearby who speaks English.

My favorite German wine for years has been Piesporter and, although we did not stop there, you can imagine the joy of seeing the town and vineyards of Piesport as we cruised on the Mosel.

So many wines --- so little time!

Clarence:)

Gatorlady, we took all of the optional trips and do not regret doing so. At the time of our trip the visit to the Delta Works was included but is now optional at extra cost. It was interesting to see but in hindsight I doubt that I would have paid for the trip if I knew in advance what it was. But to each his own! That trip departs from Veere, which is a lovely little town, but as my memory serves me the ship moved while we were away and we re-boarded elsewhere. That raises the question of what you would do if you are not on the tour. A river boat is not like a cruise ship where there is constant activites from which to choose.

We were somewhat disappointed in the bus trip to Luxembourg. There was not much to do there after visiting the American Cemetery. We found that most of our fellow travelers returned to the pickup point quite early and just sat around waiting for the bus to return.

The best of the optional trips, in my opinion, was the one to Riquewihr. Lots of charm in this little town and plenty of places to wander about in. The trips to Ahrweiler and the Freinsheim Vineyard were a nice way to spend the day but nothing to rave about.

I do think that you must keep in mind that you have traveled a very long way and you should try to see as much as possible. Saving about $200 per person is a relatively small sum when compared with the total cost of the trip and unless you are an avid reader or there is a bright sunny day to sit out on the sun deck you may find that the day is very long with no activites.

Hope this is of some help to you.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who cruised the Romance on the Rhine and Mosel, could give us some advise as to the clothing. I'm not sure whether to bring warm or light clothing. We are leaving Sept 7th.

Stella (Capeduo)

Stella, our trip departed on September 23rd last year which is two full weeks later than yours. Obviously weather prediction is an impossible task so any comments must be classified as "generally speaking."

We took basically summer clothes along with a few sweaters and windbreakers. Most of the time you are on the ship after dark and consequently indoors. The temperature in the daytime will be governed by the amount of sunshine but it certainly still summer in Germany on the date of your trip. Although I frequently wear shorts during the summer I decided to not take any along and I did not miss them. I vacillated on the issue of taking a sport coat and tie and finally decided to take one along. It never got out of the suitcase.

The general style of dress on Grand Circle is quite informal and I felt no discomfort in going to the Captain's Reception in a sport shirt and slacks. My wife took along a dress but never wore it during the entire trip. Pants and tops did the job for her.

I am sooo jealous! Wouldn't mind doing that itinerary again it was so good. I think one of the highlights was the home visit for dinner in the wine country. There will always be someone there who speaks English but be sure to learn a phrase or two of German and you will make them smile! And be sure to have your camera ready when you are greeted by the Town Mayor in his full regalia!

Clarence

• 3 weeks later...

Clarence,

Thanks for the info on the dress. It really helps. We read on the Cruise Critic that there is usually not much to do in the evening on the River Cruises. I know I'll probably be tired but what did you do in the evening?

Also do they have a place where we can play checkers..cards, etc?. I'm hearing some negative comments..room too small...14 days is too long..etc. We are really looking forward to our trip so I want to positive. Did you meet people?

This is jour first River Cruise so you know I'll be comparing it with the large cruise ships(2400 people).

Stella

Fear not, Stella! This will be a wonderful trip! We have done over 40 ocean cruises and 4 river cruises and liked this itinerary the best.

There is PLENTY to do in the evening! If you are still docked in town you can walk ashore and enjoy the local ambiance watching the river and looking at the moon! That is what the Germans do! But most of the time you will be underway either in the late afternoon or around dinner time. Dinner is one sitting and is leisurely. We tried to sit at different tables for each meal in order to meet more people and that works well. Dinner generally runs from 7-9 P.M. and on many evenings there is some local entertainment on board in the lounge for an hour or so thereafter. Then sometimes there is music for dancing or just a friendly cocktail while you chat about your day. If you are underway and the weather is nice it is a joy to go up on deck near the wheelhouse and watch the scenery and chat up the Captain. We had NO PROBLEM with being bored. Since activities start EARLY each day most folks retired to their cabins by 10-11 P.M.

On our trips on Grand Circle there always seemed to be people looking for another couple to play bridge or canasta. There are games available in the Library but that area is quite small and most people took them back to the lounge.

Of course with 100+ people you probably won't get to know everyone but we did become friendly with several couples over dinner and sat with them during the entertainment. Most of the shore excursions are of the walking variety and you are in a pre-assigned color-coded group that stays together for the entire voyage which is nice as it does help you to get to know at least 25% of the people! The walks are not strenuous but we prepared for them by making sure that we walked a mile a day for several weeks before departing. It was a great help.

Yes, the cabin is small but your time there will be very limited. We did not find it confining at all but we did choose to take a cabin with a small balcony that allowed us to stick our head out and see what was going on. We have been taking balcony cabins and mini-suites on ocean voyages in recent years ( we call them SKI vacations --- Spending Kids Inheritance!) and there is no comparison so just don't try to make one! Since the cabin is somewhat uncomfortable to just sit around in people do tend to congregate in the Lounge that has very comfortable and roomy seating -- ideal for reading as you watch the scenery go by.

I have only one complaint about the trip you are going to take --- I'm not going to be with you! I generally do not like to repeat itineraries but this is one that might just be an exception! For us 14 days on the rivers was just right. We stayed an additional week and drove through Germany visiting some people whom we know there. As I now look at river cruises I find myself bemoaning the fact that many are only 7 days with hotel stays tacked on each end to make it look longer.

I did an extensive report on our trip that is located on this Board under Antwerp to Basel on the River Harmony. If you haven't waded through it you will find it excrutiatingly full of detail. Won't do that again! I wrote it in longhand each night before bed.

Be happy to answer any questions --- or carry your bags???

Archived