New to Cruise Critic + Cruising I can only hope.....

sazzinfredericton

I joined CC in September and I looked forward to reading the threads and advice from fellow posters. At times not only helpful but entertaining as well.

But lately, JMO, some postings have been acrimonious, hurtful and not enjoyable or helpful at all....I don't get it!

Yes I know....I can switch channels if I don't like it.

Kudos to LSimon, Sloop John....

Nancy

I joined CC in September and I looked forward to reading the threads and advice from fellow posters. At times not only helpful but entertaining as well.

But lately, JMO, some postings have been acrimonious, hurtful and not enjoyable or helpful at all....I don't get it!

Nancy

I completely agree! I think so many people have lost basic manners when communicating online, as I seriously doubt they'd say the same things in person. Heaven forbid a new CC poster ask a question that's been answered before...because there's no doubt someone will JUMP on that person. Nevertheless, welcome to CC and cruising! :)

Nancy

It's the Inter Web:D

Got an example or two we can pick on? :confused:

IMO, it's been pretty calm around here lately without a lot of nastiness ... or maybe that's because the Celebrity board is more "subdued", like the cruises :)

But back to the OP's original question/comment. It's the anonymity of message boards. So easy to be nasty/mean/horrid when you don't have to look someone in the eye. Ignore the nasty posters - they're the same people you'd avoid in a bar or restaurant.

Hi Sazz in Fredericton,

Thank you for your kind words...

I try to help where and when I can.

But as someone who has been on the Internet since it vitually began (early 1980s) I've seen it all... as the song goes... "Somedays you're the windshield... somedays you're the bug"...

Can't please everyone 24/7 (I've had my share of being scolded, rude comments and even been sent to the naughty room)... stuff happens.

Thing is you can't let it get to you.

A lot of it is as WATER BABY says a case of anonymity... easier to be rude when you don't actually see the other poster.

BUT truly I believe that the majority of is miscommunication... much of it being caused by the fact that we are all dealing with just the written word... so you don't see the person, can't read their body language etc... hard to always tell if the words written were really the true intent.

Then there is the whole "lost in translation" element... people posting from around the world... and not everyone's first language is English.

I don't think that anyone truly sets out to be rude... it just happens when things are misread etc.

Someone misreads what a person posts (tone)... or someone else reacts (over-reacts) to a reply... wouldn't happen so much in the real world, because we'd see the other person etc.

As this is a quick moving media... things can get blown out of proportion pretty quickly...

I like to compare the Internet to a Cocktail Party where you are in the room with whole lot of people from around the world you've never met before... so it is important to be polite (and on your best behaviour).

The cocktail party equates well also to being on a cruise ship, because you are not technically on any "home turf"... the internet is out there in cyberspace... that is the aspect that some folks forget... you cannot insult any group... because EVERY Nationality, Religion, Race, Colour, Mother-Tongue, Age, Gender and person of Sexual Orientation is represented here. This truly is a Global and Borderless venue in a modern age... no place for age-old (out-dated) prejudices.

If we all bear that in mind, then the Internet would have smoother sailings... and do what it does best, bring people together in a friendly exchange of info.

Hope you stick around... for the most part I've found CC to be very informative and the people here on the Celebrity Board great !!

(And I've only been here since June... my first sailing will be in January)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I totally understand what you mean, OP. I posted over on the HAL boards the other day that there was a fire in the bahamas....a few minutes later someone posted a reply to me saying "that's old news it happened in february".

Now mind you, I had stated in my post that I was friends with someone on facebook who posted it that morning but....

Luckily after 2 posters told me I was wrong, a 3rd posted a link validating my post. Like I'd make that stuff up? Why would i post that a place was on fire when it wasn't? It totally annoyed me.

People are out to make themselves seem better than others. Don't let them get to you, or at least try not to!

Just dont ask about dress code, smoking, children onboard, and smuggling liquor and you will be just fine. :)

sazzinfredericton: I joined CC in September and I looked forward to reading the threads and advice from fellow posters. At times not only helpful but entertaining as well. But lately' date=' JMO, some postings have been acrimonious, hurtful and not enjoyable or helpful at all....I don't get it! Yes I know....I can switch channels if I don't like it. Kudos to LSimon, Sloop John.... Nancy[/quote']

Excellent question and lots of interesting responses, including above by the wise librarylady19. Part of it is the subject as noted. It could also be the "time of year". Some times of the year and/or changes in the weather seem to bring out the "less than ideal" with some people. It can also be called "snarkiness". Or, the grumpy season. It happens!! Some also think they are "cute" with their sarcasm and cynicism, maybe hoping to be the next late night comedy star. And these economic times bring out people not always being the most positive and uplifting. We'll all live and survive!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 50,872 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I tried deleting this thread but it would not allow me something about contacting the admin. I felt that it may be perceived as "high and mighty" definitely not my intent.

I agree overall the feedback is helpful, interesting, and fun reads, with a dose of humour now and then.

Yes the written word can be misconstrued at times....especially when one is passionate about certain things :)...I will admit I have been guilty.

Yes I am part of the CC addiction group and I will take the "good with the bad" :).

Nancy

I think certain hot-button issues (established or new ones that arise) can bring out a perception that people in the discussion are being unreasonable in disagreement. And certainly that can happen where posts get deleted if it gets too out of hand. Sometimes a person is just expressing their honesty about not liking a particular part of the cruise and then another person who is different can't imagine such a situation bothering them and they then proceed to chastise that person for being bothered. While the chastising might appear mean, the person on the receiving end sticks to their guns and it becomes an adversarial thread with some taking one position, some taking the other. I don't think anyone is trying to get personal, they are just being honest, which is kind of a nice thing to be able to do in an Internet discussion.

Archived