antartica on Fram

Bradyboy2

Hi

We are scheduled to take a Collette Tour to Antarctica on Feb 11,2012 .and have signed on for a cabin on the main deck .

Can anyone tell us what to expect. It is not a superior cabin bur seems comfortable.

Also my wife is a vegetarian bur eats Salmon. How is the food.

I think there are 14 people signed up so far.

I am not sure what you mean by "the main deck". MS Fram has 3 decks with cabins (decks 3, 5 and 6) and one deck with the restaurant, lecture hall, shop, etc... Do you have a cabin number? (or the cabin type : N2, U2?).

The food is good and there is a lot of choice. Usually breakfast and lunch are buffet meals, and there is plenty to choose from so anyone can find something to their liking, and dinner is a fixed three-course meal, but the menu is available in advance and you can ask for an alternate course. If you let them know in advance what your requirements are, they will provide suitable food.

I went on the Fram twice (direct booking with Hurtigruten) and dietary requirements were asked as part of the booking process.

My wife has celiac disease, and they were able to accommodate her just fine. I saw at least one person that requested vegetarian meals, and she never went without dinner. Breakfasts and lunches are buffets, with enough vegetarian choices to stay full.

The "N" cabins are not very big, but practical and comfortable. You probably won't be spending much time in it anyway. There are two beds (which I found very comfy), one folds up against the wall completely, and the other folds up as a sofa during the day. There is also a desk, a wardrobe, a place to store your luggage, and a bathroom (also small) with a shower.

The only thing that was a problem for us was that there is no real place to leave your wet outer clothes to dry (and coming back from a landing, you can be quite wet). We had to put them in the bathroom, which gets crowded quickly. Bring a couple of coat hangers if you can, since the ones in our wardrobe could not be used elsewhere.

Archived