Island - Why Upgrade from a BA?????

tbenson81

I was looking over the virtual tours of the Island staterooms and..

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/islandprincess.htm

The BA looks a lot wider and a lot nicer than the AA mini-suite.

So my question is, besides an extra TV, couch and bathtub - what would be the advantage of have a mini-suite AA over a BA on the Island?

PS - Also, everyone always says that the only difference between the BE, BD and BA is just location as in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=161912

However, from the virtual tour, the BA looks a lot bigger and a lot more spacious than the BD or BE.

Thanks

Tony

First of all the BA is the same size inside as an BB, BC, BD.. Do not believe the virtual tour. As for the AA.. Higher up in the ship forward.. Very little foot traffic.. If you have ever been on the Island/Coral you will appreciate the tub/shower. It is way way bigger than the tiny shower in the regular room and the bathroom countertop is bigger. For longer cruises you will appreciate the extra room, the couch and the TV facing away from the bed... We will be in an AA mini on the Island Hawaiian cruise in 10 days..

As Largin states all of th Cat. B rooms are the same the only difference is in location and balcony size. The Cat A's are always going to be nicer than a Cat. B. Personally I don't like the way Princess does there ratings within an a Cat. For example on the Island/Coral a Cat. BB is generally going to give you a pretty small balcony while a Cat. BD or BE generally gives you a better balcony. I think it is very confusing for someone without doing alot of research.

Scott

If we booked a BA on Caribe - could princess technically upgrade us to an AF? This is a higher category so I guess they could consider it an upgrade - but we then wouldnt have a balcony. Has this ever happened? Thanks

I appreciate all your help. We have a Carbie BA right now in the middle of the ship on the starboard side (heard this has the best view of Hilo and the volcanoes). Anyways - would you suggest selecting "no upgrades"? We really like this location and cabin and have only heard great things about the Caribe deck? Thanks for your expertise

If you like the category and location, I certainly would have "no upgrades" on your record.

We have turned down upgrades in the past (when our TA got the fax), because although offering a higher category, we didn't care for the location.

More often than not, we have "no upgrades" from the moment of booking.

I appreciate all your help. We have a Carbie BA right now in the middle of the ship on the starboard side (heard this has the best view of Hilo and the volcanoes). Anyways - would you suggest selecting "no upgrades"? We really like this location and cabin and have only heard great things about the Caribe deck? Thanks for your expertise

Yes, I would contact your TA and tell them to phone Princess and tell them you do not want any upgrades without your permission. That way you can check out the cabin and location yourself. We loved our BA on the Coral last year when we did the 15 day Ft Lauderdale/San Francisco Panama Canal cruise. You will love the 9' x 9' half covered balcony..

Archived